flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,428
watching the storm clouds and lightning
Old 09-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #4112
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cooking dinner and preparing my camp for the storm rolling in off the Baltic Sea. Winter is coming.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #4113
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I stayed at this farm in the country about an hour east of Tallinn and about 3 hours southwest of St Petersburg. They had little cabins to rent for 40 euro a night and camping for 3 euro. I chose to camp.
To my surprise, the place was run by this cute Estonian girl (her BF was in Finland like 50% of young Estonian men earning a better wage). She was in too much of a hurry to chat. But I found out in the morning that she just didn't like Americans.
And that is sad.
Often, Americans have such a bad reputation in the world.
I suppose that is the fate of a superpower. You can't make everyone happy.
But if I could have chatted with her for a while, I bet I could have changed her opinion about Americans. You can't judge everyone by the passport they hold

I think most American people are good people.
You take politics out of the equation and I think people would like us better.

She was concerned that is the US invaded Syria, that Russia would try and take back the Baltic countries. I don't think that would happen but nonetheless, it was a fear of hers. It got me thinking. Estonia has only been free for 21 years. It is still very much in people's minds here.

And Syria is a tough call. If we get the rest of the world behind us, maybe we should step in. But that is something that the rest of the world criticizes us for.........sticking our noses in other people's business. But innocent people are dying over there. And it is also something that makes our country great is that we stand up for what is right and just don't turn our head's away from it. We did it in WWII. We sacrificed a lot of American lives because we did it because we were standing up for what is right. And it is a good thing there are countries like the US for that reason.
So is it justified to move in to Syria? I don't know enough about it. But if we get a coalition, then maybe we should to help bring peace to that area.
I don't think we should be a bully like we did with Iraq perhaps, but how many more people need to die in Syria before the world says enough is enough.

If this Estonian girl and I could have chatted, she would have found out that we are actually not too different.
We all want the same things.............
Life Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And that is what America has always stood for.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #4114
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

In Lahemaa National Park, there were some decaying remnants from the Soviet occupation there.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #4115
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Parnu Estonia is the place where people flock when the sun is out in the summer time.
I missed the season (and naked girls) by about 2 weeks
Winter is in the air here.
I need to keep making my way south

Old 09-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #4116
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
'mericuns .... :)

yes, the whole world loves america ..... HA!

so I've been slowly catching up to your RR and am getting to South America (you know, ARG, BRA, CHI, et all - not your south ) but had a good laugh at your early musings -

"Is everyone doing the same ride as I am ? (AK)"

HA HA HA ... yes hate to tell you but there have thousands before you and there will be thousands more after you .... oh and the whining about rain and mosquitos and mud - here comes another candy-assed Californian weanting to conquer the mighty Alaska Highway ....
nice reporting .... keep up America's Diplomatic Front ok ?
Old 09-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #4117
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

In Amsterdam with JetJockJim

My friend Jim sent me these photos of our night out in Amsterdam.
Here we are riding our motos again.
See pages 3 thru 6 of my blog
That was the last time I saw Jim

Old 09-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #4118
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Window shopping........ Amsterdam style.
It was the only shopping I enjoyed

Old 09-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #4119
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

This backpacker girl was "selling" a feel of her boobs for $5 to raise some food and beer money.
I argued with her that I felt it was over-priced.
Especially after what I saw after window shopping
LOL

Old 09-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #4120
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Latvia

I made it to Riga Latvia.
I am liking it here too.
Cool old town with lots to see and do.
Pics to follow as always
Old 09-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #4121
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
what is it ?

finally finished your excellent S.A. section - back then you asked -

1) is it the wine reports - yes indeed, I found them extremely informative including why some wines cost $200.- a bottle ... I was born in ARG so Melbec and Torrontes (as well as asado and empanadas) are part of me.

2) the hot springs pics - um not so much !

3) pics of your hottie - well yes, of course

keep up the good work .... and kudos for making it this far ....
Old 09-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #4122
Icy Roads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Don't even try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I stayed at this farm in the country about an hour east of Tallinn and about 3 hours southwest of St Petersburg. They had little cabins to rent for 40 euro a night and camping for 3 euro. I chose to camp.
To my surprise, the place was run by this cute Estonian girl (her BF was in Finland like 50% of young Estonian men earning a better wage). She was in too much of a hurry to chat. But I found out in the morning that she just didn't like Americans.
And that is sad.
But if I could have chatted with her for a while, I bet I could have changed her opinion about Americans. You can't judge everyone by the passport they hold

She was concerned that is the US invaded Syria, that Russia would try and take back the Baltic countries. I don't think that would happen but nonetheless, it was a fear of hers. It got me thinking. Estonia has only been free for 21 years. It is still very much in people's minds here.

And Syria is a tough call. If we get the rest of the world behind us, maybe we should step in. But that is something that the rest of the world criticizes us for.........sticking our noses in other people's business. But innocent people are dying over there. And it is also something that makes our country great is that we stand up for what is right and just don't turn our head's away from it. We did it in WWII. We sacrificed a lot of American lives because we did it because we were standing up for what is right. And it is a good thing there are countries like the US for that reason.
So is it justified to move in to Syria? I don't know enough about it. But if we get a coalition, then maybe we should to help bring peace to that area.
I don't think we should be a bully like we did with Iraq perhaps, but how many more people need to die in Syria before the world says enough is enough.

If this Estonian girl and I could have chatted, she would have found out that we are actually not too different.

You know the old rule never talk about religion or politics. You can't win and you won't change hearts or minds.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #4123
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Ed,

Anywhere I have traveled that hates Americans, (like Paris ), I just tell the locals when asked, "I'm from Canada".
Been to 45 countries and a bunch of them not USA friendly. Works every time.

Just practice saying "out" and "about".

(and it never hurts to know all the words to "Oh Canada" either)
Old 09-05-2013, 03:51 AM   #4124
mirtna
Magrambalgue

Oddometer: 55
Laugh Icy Estonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
And that is sad.

You should have offered her $5.00 for a "feel". That would have warmed her up! ......and maybe while singing the Canadian anthem. Then she would have warmed up without becoming hot maybe.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #4125
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,110
Great report

Ed, it took me a couple weeks to get to the present with your report. I thoroughly enjoyed your style. It's not what I'd do, but you do it with a flare, and grace. Thanks so much for taking us/me along.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Closed Thread