Oddometer: 18
Right on....
Old 09-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #4187
mary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
There is a long skinny peninsula about 60 miles long and only about 2 miles wide that is shared with Lithuania and Russia. I wanted to go there to do some hiking in the sand dunes. They call it the Little Sahara of Europe.
I had perfect weather.
I did some hiking and then found something even better to do there

Appears as though the guy behind you in the red shorts is trying to steal your thunder.... lol
Old 09-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #4188
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
Appears as though the guy behind you in the red shorts is trying to steal your thunder.... lol

Imitation is the best form of flattery
Old 09-11-2013, 02:29 AM   #4189
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

it's warmer here in Poland

I didnt realize how cold it was in the Baltics until I crossed the border in to Poland.
And I am not talking about the weather either.
Not all people I met in the Baltics were cold. My new Estonian friend Eero was very warm and welcoming.
But most people aren't exactly warm.
Here in Poland, I have already had several people approach me and ask about my trip.
I even had a girl walk by me and return a smile.
I hope things continue to warm up.
I am about 50 miles from the border with Ukraine.
I hope the effects of the USSR have worn off there........because Ukraine, here I come!!!!!
Old 09-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #4190
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

ukraine

Everything that you would expect to happen here in Ukraine has happened.
God bless me and Ukraine
Old 09-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #4191
AT86
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Already married again ?
Old 09-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #4192
mediaguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177
So many people have told me that I am "living the dream". If this is the case, then why are there not many people doing what I am doing?
The positive aspects are obvious......the adventure.......the excitement.......meeting new people.........discovering new places......etc etc
I can see it in people's faces that I meet. I see it in their eyes when I pull up next to them on my motorcycle. I will ride by a family in their RV and the dad will stop in his tracks and watch me ride by. And I know exactly what he is thinking. In fact, every man with enough warm blood flowing through his veins and can maintain at least a 15 second erection wants to trade places with me. Even if they are not in to motorcycles, every man admires that lonesome cowboy riding off in to the sunset. They think......where is he going? Where has he been? What is he thinking?
Well let me tell you.........the best part of this trip is not being on the motorcycle (sometimes there is nothing more that I want than to just get off the bike). It's not all the places that I go or the people that I meet. It is the freedom I have. I think a lot of people have never experienced this kind of freedom. I am talking about being free to do solely what I want, when I want it. I don't have any agendas but my own. I get up when I want. Go where I want. I don't have a boss, friend or family telling what I need to do. And it is selfish. And maybe that is not such a bad thing. Don't get me wrong, I will share my wine, help with directions, repair your tire, but for now, I want to be selfish with my time. And time is my most precious commodity I have. We are dying. And I want to live my life. I don't want to be a person that says......."some day". I want to make things happen now.
So back to my question.......why aren't there more people doing what I am doing. There are plenty of reasons and excuses not to go. My dad once told me....."you can do anything you want in this world as long as you are willing to pay the price". And for me, I had to give up my house, my normal life style, some of my toys (old cars and motorcycles). But I reasoned that I can and will get all those things back one day. But my time, I can never get back.
Right now I have the means and the desire to do this trip and I will continue my travels until I lose either the means or desire to do so.
My girlfriend has been great through it all but I don't know how long she is going to hang in there and be supportive. And I don't blame her.
I think the reason more people are not doing what I am doing considering it is everyone's dream is because the price they would have to pay is too great.
And then there is a big difference between perception and reality. Everyone perceives beautiful weather but the reality is being cold and wet. You don't think about all the bugs that drive you crazy at times......being dirty.......hungry.......thirsty......tired....... lonely.....etc. But when the weather breaks and the sun comes out.......WOW! You get this high that most people take for granted. Things like taking a shower are amazing. It is little things that you begin to appreciate and make you happy. It is not the bigger house or faster car that will make you happy. In fact, it will do just the opposite. It is the freedom and little things that make you happy. And most will never know what I mean by this until you are in my shoes.
Yes, the price I am paying is high, but it is not forever, it is something that I need to do now while I have the means and desire and I will be a better, more well-rounded person for it.

Ed, you have nailed it. Be selfish my friend!
Old 09-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #4193
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT86 View Post
Already married again ?
Lol
Old 09-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #4194
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaguy View Post
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177
So many people have told me that I am "living the dream". If this is the case, then why are there not many people doing what I am doing?
The positive aspects are obvious......the adventure.......the excitement.......meeting new people.........discovering new places......etc etc
I can see it in people's faces that I meet. I see it in their eyes when I pull up next to them on my motorcycle. I will ride by a family in their RV and the dad will stop in his tracks and watch me ride by. And I know exactly what he is thinking. In fact, every man with enough warm blood flowing through his veins and can maintain at least a 15 second erection wants to trade places with me. Even if they are not in to motorcycles, every man admires that lonesome cowboy riding off in to the sunset. They think......where is he going? Where has he been? What is he thinking?
Well let me tell you.........the best part of this trip is not being on the motorcycle (sometimes there is nothing more that I want than to just get off the bike). It's not all the places that I go or the people that I meet. It is the freedom I have. I think a lot of people have never experienced this kind of freedom. I am talking about being free to do solely what I want, when I want it. I don't have any agendas but my own. I get up when I want. Go where I want. I don't have a boss, friend or family telling what I need to do. And it is selfish. And maybe that is not such a bad thing. Don't get me wrong, I will share my wine, help with directions, repair your tire, but for now, I want to be selfish with my time. And time is my most precious commodity I have. We are dying. And I want to live my life. I don't want to be a person that says......."some day". I want to make things happen now.
So back to my question.......why aren't there more people doing what I am doing. There are plenty of reasons and excuses not to go. My dad once told me....."you can do anything you want in this world as long as you are willing to pay the price". And for me, I had to give up my house, my normal life style, some of my toys (old cars and motorcycles). But I reasoned that I can and will get all those things back one day. But my time, I can never get back.
Right now I have the means and the desire to do this trip and I will continue my travels until I lose either the means or desire to do so.
My girlfriend has been great through it all but I don't know how long she is going to hang in there and be supportive. And I don't blame her.
I think the reason more people are not doing what I am doing considering it is everyone's dream is because the price they would have to pay is too great.
And then there is a big difference between perception and reality. Everyone perceives beautiful weather but the reality is being cold and wet. You don't think about all the bugs that drive you crazy at times......being dirty.......hungry.......thirsty......tired....... lonely.....etc. But when the weather breaks and the sun comes out.......WOW! You get this high that most people take for granted. Things like taking a shower are amazing. It is little things that you begin to appreciate and make you happy. It is not the bigger house or faster car that will make you happy. In fact, it will do just the opposite. It is the freedom and little things that make you happy. And most will never know what I mean by this until you are in my shoes.
Yes, the price I am paying is high, but it is not forever, it is something that I need to do now while I have the means and desire and I will be a better, more well-rounded person for it.

Ed, you have nailed it. Be selfish my friend!

Thank LL
That means a lot coming from the man who is the king of the 15 second erection
Old 09-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #4195
barrakuda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Lalo, I`ve been waiting for you to land in Ukrania, please be a good Bacho and post photos from some nice Ukranian girls.
Kate will understand, this is a motorciclyng forum after all
Old 09-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #4196
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrakuda View Post
Lalo, I`ve been waiting for you to land in Ukrania, please be a good Bacho and post photos from some nice Ukranian girls.
Kate will understand, this is a motorciclyng forum after all
Trust me.......Kathe does not understand
Old 09-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #4197
nanox14
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
lalo she is LATINA,, trust me, she WILL NEVER understand
Old 09-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #4198
barrakuda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Man she will understand, in fact, if i remember well, we discussed this point in my house in Santiago and she said she wouldn`t mind. Ok, maybe she didn`t said that exactly, but she laughed about it.

Just make sure to emphasize that you are doing it for us, your followers in this trip.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #4199
Starstruck
Zoner

Oddometer: 48
You Could Be in Pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
Of course, this is not a new phenomena... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnPIOH8bCfk
Old 09-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #4200
TSRT97
I am third

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanox14 View Post
lalo she is LATINA,, trust me, she WILL NEVER understand
She won't understand. The ones worth keeping for life will never understand.
Closed Thread