User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #4231
Starstruck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
[QUOTE=flyingdutchman177;22311377]I was at a McDonald's in Poland using their wifi to check my messages and in walks a couple from Texas doing a RTW trip on a similar motorcycle.
First I found out that it is not possible to ride from India to Singapore because of Burma. They are not letting vehicles in. How come I am just finding out this now????

I am not sure this is strictly true any more - it used to be impossible to go overland across Burma, but there are rumors of exceptions. Take a look at http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-f...-possible.html On the other hand, there are undoubtably a raft of requirements, permits, guides, etc.

Of course, how you are going to get a 1200GS to the India/Burma border by land without wintering in the 'Stans may be a bigger issue.....
Old 09-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #4232
AT86
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
Photo shoot in Malibu
I got upgraded from Ukraine to Peru

I like that way of Updates !!!
Old 09-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #4233
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,400
[QUOTE=Starstruck;22314897]
Quote:
I was at a McDonald's in Poland using their wifi to check my messages and in walks a couple from Texas doing a RTW trip on a similar motorcycle.
First I found out that it is not possible to ride from India to Singapore because of Burma. They are not letting vehicles in. How come I am just finding out this now????

I am not sure this is strictly true any more - it used to be impossible to go overland across Burma, but there are rumors of exceptions. Take a look at http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-f...-possible.html On the other hand, there are undoubtably a raft of requirements, permits, guides, etc.

Of course, how you are going to get a 1200GS to the India/Burma border by land without wintering in the 'Stans may be a bigger issue.....

They say.......where there is a will, there is a way.
But I don't know if I want to deal with it.
I just want to ride.

Here are my thoughts right now.

Park the GS in Europe for the winter.
In November, I can fly to southeast asia and buy an inexpensive motorcycle and ride around Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. I think that might be fun until Europe thaws out.
Then return to the GS, visit Greece, Turkey and maybe head around the Black Sea and visit the Alps and countries I missed.
Down thru Italy, cross to Tunisia then to Dakar and back up to Morocco.
I still need to do South Africa to Ethiopia. Not sure what the status will be in Sudan, Egypt and Syria at that time. And I still need to get back to South America, finish there and get the GS home. I also still want to buy an Enfield and do India and Nepal. And Australia still calls out to me.
I think the only thing left is the Stan countries, Mongolia and all of Russia.
But that would be last on my list only because I don't know much about those places and what to expect. But I will be surely out of money at that point unless some money door opens up for me that I can't see right now.
I still have some time to figure out what I am going to do.
I am open to suggestions and probably will have to decide something in the next month or so.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #4234
PaulGir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
And yet another first in Europe........a real border crossing.
Just like South America, you have to go thru all the formalities here crossing from Poland to Ukraine.
Nothing bad
Not like the chaos in Central America
But I did have to wait about an hour.
But it was only an hour because I was able to cut in line.
At first I just lined up in the back but everyone was encouraging me to cut to the front.
So for a moment, I forgot where I was. I know they would do the same if they could.
So I worked my way thru the line to the front. No easy task on such a big heavy motorcycle.
But everything went well.
No money was exchanged.
And I was rolling in to Ukraine.
About 5 miles from the border, these 4 boy stopped in their tracks and gave me big waves as I rode by.................I smiled and thought........I am going to enjoy Ukraine.
The reason for the different border formalities is that you have just left the European Union.
Ukraine is not part of the EU.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #4235
Coloradical
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
I came across this site in the middle of nowhere.
It is a giant dome that promotes healing.
I went inside and when you stand in the middle and talk, it has this crazy echo effect. And you can also whisper something and it could be heard very clearly.
Bizarre

Sounds similar to the Integratron near Joshua Tree

Old 09-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #4236
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Lviv

Here I am in Lviv Ukraine.
I was sitting on a park bench in the main square in town in front of the Opera house and this gal sits down next to me.
Of all the girls in Lviv to come sit next to me, I get a crazy one.
I think she was drunk too.
She was sipping from a bottle of Vodka and I don't think it was her first.
The funny thing was she was actually kind of cute in a drunk and crazy homeless sort of way.
She was singing songs out loud and screaming the words. Everyone was looking at us. And I would just reply to the onlookers that my girl friend was drunk and crazy.
Then she started to grab me. At that point I started to walk away but she followed me. And kept trying to grab me.
I finally got away but she drew a lot of unwanted attention my way.
Why do I also attracted the crazy people in the towns I visit???

flyingdutchman177 screwed with this post 09-12-2013 at 01:45 PM
Old 09-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #4237
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGir View Post
The reason for the different border formalities is that you have just left the European Union.
Ukraine is not part of the EU.
True
I from what I hear, I have some more coming up.
For example, there are certain countries that don't recognize Serbia as a country so their border is closed. I can exit Serbia but can't enter.
I need to do some more planning as I head further south.
Traveling thru the EU has been a breeze but you don't really feel like you are in a different country until you waste a couple of hours at a border gets your various stamps.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #4238
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

View of Lviv from the park overlooking the town

Old 09-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #4239
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Away from the city center, you can see all the Soviet area apartments.
I couldn't imagine living in one.
I think my ex Gf did. No wonder why she wanted to come to the US so bad.

I am also going to say something else..........

I kind of figured that I would roll in to town and I would be fending off all the hot blonds here because they could sense I was an American and they wanted a one way ticket out. Let me dismiss this American fantasy right here.
The girls here couldn't care less.
There are plenty local guys here driving Porsches and BMW's. They don't need to go to the US or elsewhere if they want to chase a sugardaddy.
Sorry, that window of opportunity has all but closed.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #4240
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here is the hostel I am staying at.
It is nice they let me park my bike inside but it is such a dump
The roof is leaking
The people working here are not so friendly.
The bed is the second worst bed I have slept in on my trip (the first was in Ecuador).
Not to mention.............Spiders, mold and a bath pretending to be a shower
But it sure beats sleeping in a tent with the rain coming down like it has been tonight.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #4241
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The infrastructure here in Ukraine is old and dying.
The sidewalks are cracked. The streets are buckled.
The parks are moribund.
And the buses break down a lot.
I have seen this several times before.
When a bus breaks down, it is just pulled around by these Soviet area military trucks until it finishes its route.
Here is an example.
It is completely holding up traffic on this narrow street until it can be moved out of the way.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #4242
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I ate at a typical Ukrainian restaurant tonight.
You got to pick what food you wanted.
I just several plates.
The girls were laughing at me because I ordered so much food.
But I ate it all.
And it only cost about 10 euro and that included a beer.
In Norway, the beer alone would have been 10 euro

Old 09-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #4243
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

More vodka

No sooner did I put my bike on its kick stand upon my arrival here in Ukraine did some guys invite me to sit down with them for shots of Vodka.
Some of the stereotypes are just plain true.
Good guys
The girls were a bit shy though

Old 09-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #4244
milkman67204
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Away from the city center, you can see all the Soviet area apartments.
I couldn't imagine living in one.
I think my ex Gf did. No wonder why she wanted to come to the US so bad.

I am also going to say something else..........

I kind of figured that I would roll in to town and I would be fending off all the hot blonds here because they could sense I was an American and they wanted a one way ticket out. Let me dismiss this American fantasy right here.
The girls here couldn't care less.
There are plenty local guys here driving Porsches and BMW's. They don't need to go to the US or elsewhere if they want to chase a sugardaddy.
Sorry, that window of opportunity has all but closed.
I have spent a decent amount of time in former soviet countries, Russia and Ukraine mostly. I agree that virtually nobody is looking for a sugardaddy to get out, especially in the big cities.

For me though I have found the peoples hospitality second to none. especially once you the small towns the people are amazingly nice. It does help for sure to have some Russian language.

One thing I have appreciated about many of the former Soviet people I have meet is their ability to seperate America and it government/politics from its people. I have had many people say "you know I really hate Americas government and/or its political policies.... BUT I enjoy the American people I have met."

In 3 years of living in Russia I have come to the conclusion Americans and Russians are alot more similar than different. We were both fed alot of propoganda about the opposite side... The biggest difference I see is that the Soviet people knew their government was full of a bunch of liars and cheats so they didnt believe most of it... Where as the American people at the time thought they could trust the government and bought into it and are just starting to realize their government is full of the same thing.

Its amazing how I can just barely remember anything of the "cold war" yet I know when I came here I was expecting the sun never to shine, its always winter, the people to be terribly cold and mean, everyone an alchoholic drinking vodka... In reality I have been completely blown away by how wrong I was!!!! You can find the cold and mean people and the alchoholics just let them be and move on. the rest of them are so amazing especially the bikers!!!

I hope you enjoy Eastern Europe its different but amazing in its own right
Old 09-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #4245
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,366
If/when money starts to run out open a Paypal account and let us pass the hat on your behalf. Other guys on here doing RTWs have done it and seem to be amazed by the outpouring of generosity. With almost 700,000 views now, if a fraction of us chipped in $1....hell, do it now, let us buy you a couple of bottles of Chimay. I'll open the bidding if you do it.