Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #4411
mirtna
Magrambalgue

Oddometer: 55
Lalo, Dude, Ed;
That is not a hike, that is a rappel without rappel equipment.
Yowzzzzza dude. Glad we get to see it without an abrupt and unexplained end to your RTW RR!
Sorry to hear about your trouble with the GFs. Hopefully only the one is an "ex"! That is bizarre how the "ex" began communications with Kathe! ........and cutting and pasting communications?? Geeeeeeeze, well, you still da'man dude! Maybe even you are hard core enough to survive a relationship with a Latina while posting innocent photos of women on your RTW RR!!! Women are complicated! I'm married to a Buenos Aires Latina! I don't think I'm gonna survive it!

mirtna screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 03:23 AM
Old 09-20-2013, 01:47 AM   #4412
neuro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Ed,

It seems you took some serious hiking in Tatra - glad you made it :)
Are you still gonna be there on Sunday, or already departing to HU?
In regard to FB messages: what you experience is probably typical phishing - someone sends prepared facebook-like message, which points to fake FB page - not to original one. Never click those links in e-mails, this is typical scam.

Stay safe!
Piotr
Old 09-20-2013, 01:54 AM   #4413
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro View Post
Ed,

It seems you took some serious hiking in Tatra - glad you made it :)
Are you still gonna be there on Sunday, or already departing to HU?
In regard to FB messages: what you experience is probably typical phishing - someone sends prepared facebook-like message, which points to fake FB page - not to original one. Never click those links in e-mails, this is typical scam.

Stay safe!
Piotr
Heading to HU now
Wine calls
Old 09-20-2013, 04:32 AM   #4414
LUVMYDR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by a7an View Post
hello ed-

as a long time follower of your thread, i would like to offer a heartfelt thanks!
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts and photos.
Many of us are quietly, and i might add thoroughly, enjoying your adventure.

Keep the shiny side up!
ditto
Old 09-20-2013, 06:11 AM   #4415
Shapi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Auschwitz

Ed-A bit behind. I saw a blurb about Kathe and am sure I will comment on what a better situation awaits around the next corner or something optimistic like that, but first I wanted to thank you for posting the pics and sharing your experience at Auschwitz. While I am certain you experienced much more than you wrote about, it is great that you shared with others. As a Jewish kid growing up I had friends with Aunts, Uncles, and Grandparents that survived those "camps" For the rest of their lives, they carried with them them the scars on the inside and the tattoos on the outside and reminded us of the 3 million plus that were murdered in places such as Auschwitz and Dachau. As a friend once told me, "For this we can never forgive, and we must never forget"

Thanks again for sharing.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:52 AM   #4416
nameless
100% recyclable

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
Last night, I think some crazy person was trying to hack in to my Facebook page. I am not sure if they got in or not.
But I received a message on my e mail that I received a message on FB. But when I clicked on my FB page, there was no message. Then I received another e mail message on my e mail from FB saying that I was having trouble logging in and it provided a link for me to log in. It was like someone was trying to log in to my account because it wasn't me doing any of this.
Question:
Are there are computer smart people out there that can help me stop this? I have already changed my passwords.
If they have access to my e mail, FB and AdvRider page, who knows what might happen.
Try using this online virus scanner,
http://www.bitdefender.com/scanner/online/free.html

Heys, i don't know how your computer skills hold up, but...
what i would do at this point would be getting a Live CD (or Pen) with linux, the latest versions as almost as having windows (http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/features it's free, and easy to use). I would boot the computer using the pen drive and make backups of all your important stuff. After that, format it and install the operating system again. If you have some trojan installed, or virus or whatever, it is very probable that your anti-virus software might not catch it (it can have already altered the scan configurations to ignore certain folders/files/whatever...).
It seems like a lot of work, but it would be my best bet.

Anyway, Facebook, gmail and the likes will probably never send you an e-mail asking for you to click on a link to login, to make sure what you can do is to put the mouse over the link, without clicking and then look at the bottom of the browser or wait a few seconds and a small tab will appear showing the link. If it does not match the link that is written, it is some kind of phishing (that could be how your fb account was hijacked)

If you need more help pm me, i'll try to help as i can :)

'13 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
Keep Calm
and
Carry On
Old 09-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #4417
mary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Last night, I think some crazy person was trying to hack in to my Facebook page. I am not sure if they got in or not.
But I received a message on my e mail that I received a message on FB. But when I clicked on my FB page, there was no message. Then I received another e mail message on my e mail from FB saying that I was having trouble logging in and it provided a link for me to log in. It was like someone was trying to log in to my account because it wasn't me doing any of this.
Question:
Are there are computer smart people out there that can help me stop this? I have already changed my passwords.
If they have access to my e mail, FB and AdvRider page, who knows what might happen.
Never... Never, NEVER use a link in an email to verify your log on or for any other reason for that matter. Best thing to do is ignore email warnings and go straight to the web site via your own separate search. Another thing you can do is report it to Facebook or your email program that is being targeted for your personal information. They will tell you if the email is from them or not, (most often it is not.) They often ask you to screen shot the email or send it to them so they can head off any problems it may cause them or their users.

I tend to avoid ANY links in emails no matter who they are from just for this reason. I've seen them copy my banks email notification page making it look official only to find out it was a fake when I reported it. A few other official looking emails such as Ebay and Facebook have had the same fraudulent type emails go out. Chain mails are the worst. If I feel a video or web site is worth looking at, I will go seek it out through the web rather than risk a virus, Trojan or worm attached to a link in an email.

Too many of my friends who tend to pass this kind of chain mail always are complaining of crashes or stolen email accounts. I, so far, haven't had this problem because I follow these simple guidelines my friends never seem to heed no matter how many times I tell them that is most likely where they got them from. (To each his own, their problem not mine.)
Old 09-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #4418
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless View Post
Try using this online virus scanner,
http://www.bitdefender.com/scanner/online/free.html

Heys, i don't know how your computer skills hold up, but...
what i would do at this point would be getting a Live CD (or Pen) with linux, the latest versions as almost as having windows (http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/features it's free, and easy to use). I would boot the computer using the pen drive and make backups of all your important stuff. After that, format it and install the operating system again. If you have some trojan installed, or virus or whatever, it is very probable that your anti-virus software might not catch it (it can have already altered the scan configurations to ignore certain folders/files/whatever...).
It seems like a lot of work, but it would be my best bet.

Anyway, Facebook, gmail and the likes will probably never send you an e-mail asking for you to click on a link to login, to make sure what you can do is to put the mouse over the link, without clicking and then look at the bottom of the browser or wait a few seconds and a small tab will appear showing the link. If it does not match the link that is written, it is some kind of phishing (that could be how your fb account was hijacked)

If you need more help pm me, i'll try to help as i can :)
You might as well be speaking Portuguese
I dont think I have a virus
I just think someone who is computer smart is trying to find out my passwords.
I just hope they go away.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #4419
mary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
I am heading to Hungry tomorrow.
And guess what..........they produce wine in Hungry.
What???????????
Never had a wine from Hungry????
Well, it is the wine for Kings.
Tokay is the grape
And it is a very sweet wine.
Like liquid dessert
And I can't wait to explore it.
Full report coming soon
Take some good pictures there... My great great grandfather came from Budapest, (thus my last name Pestalitz) and I've never been there...
Old 09-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #4420
nameless
100% recyclable

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
You might as well be speaking Portuguese
I dont think I have a virus
I just think someone who is computer smart is trying to find out my passwords.
I just hope they go away.
:/ they might be trying to guess the password (that would be an easy thing for you to solve, go to FB's page and activate the two-step auth)

http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/apps-...n-for-facebook

or, you might have a malicious software installed on your pc (via a link you clicked, a page you visited... it's more common than you think, and you would most likely not notice a thing)
or, your ex sent you something on an e-mail (could be as innocent as a photo...) that installed some spy software ( http://www.spectorsoft.com for instance, but there are many)

Not trying to scare you, just to let you know that is not as far fetched as you might think. For someone tech savvy as you say your ex is, and you not so much, it would be quite easy to pass unnoticed.

just trying to help :)

'13 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
Keep Calm
and
Carry On
Old 09-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #4421
klimag
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
I am heading to Hungry tomorrow.
And guess what..........they produce wine in Hungry.
What???????????
Never had a wine from Hungry????
Well, it is the wine for Kings.
Tokay is the grape
And it is a very sweet wine.
Like liquid dessert
And I can't wait to explore it.
Full report coming soon
I'm realy waiting for your opinion about Tokaji
Another important wine region not so far towards west around city Eger - red wine there called "Bullblood"

If you need support/info in Hungary let me know.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #4422
Donsesso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
finally!

I've been reading your RR for the past three weeks.and I'm finally caught up.thanks for doing this. You are truly living the dream.

I recently purchased a gs lc. And getting ready to do some long distance stuff. Don't plan on doing an RTW (yet). But certainly looking to get out there.coming from sports bikes, this adv world is fairly new to me. But I find the people a lot more "inviting" and egos seem to be checked at the door.

Reading the RRs is a good indication of what I'm getting myself into (good and bad)

Donsesso screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 08:36 PM
Old 09-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #4423
marcus22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
e-mail password.

maybe you already know this but your e-mail password should be the strongest of all your passwords. if anyone is trying to get into any account of yours all they have to know is your e-mail password. when you click forgot password on an account it sends a new password to your e-mail. they can change everything if they get into your e-mail. hope this helps
Old 09-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #4424
MotoGypsy
Ramblin Man

Oddometer: 28
Hi Ed,

As you said you gave up a hell lot to due this trip -- so everyone should respect that this is your trip and blog, period! I also agree that what your doing is damn tough, and some folks just don't understand that.

Looking forward to your adventures in India & Nepal. Real adventure lies ahead.... Have fun in Lima too.

Steve
Old 09-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #4425
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Tokaj

I just got lucky again.
Rolled in to Tokaj and I participated in a Guinness World Record here having to do with wine.
And after that, it turned in to a big wine tasting/drinking party.
All for free
Pictures and full story forthcoming
Closed Thread