ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 02:29 AM   #4576
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Eastern Europe
Oddometer: 4,424
I spent the day with the girl from Russia walking around the war museum in Belgrade. I was asking her questions about what she felt happened here only 15 short years ago. I finally asked too many questions and she started to cry.
Yes, it wasn't that long ago.
To be honest, I didn't really know much about the conflict.
So I did a little research when I got back.

Seems to me it was something I wouldn't support.

It would be like if Texas wanted to break away from the US and start its own state and China stepped in and started bombing us to get us to stop fighting.

I guess we should learn just to butt out sometimes and let countries resolve their own differences. Just my 2 cents

Here was my favorite exhibit at the war museum
A 750 Zundapp

flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 10-02-2013, 02:31 AM   #4577
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Eastern Europe
Oddometer: 4,424
Along with this sign was attached a map.
But it is interesting how the sign was worded.

Yes, there are still hard feeling here over the NATO bombing in 1999

flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 10-02-2013, 02:34 AM   #4578
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Eastern Europe
Oddometer: 4,424
And just in case you don't think the people here still don't remember what it was like when the bombs came and knocked out the bridges, power plants and other infrastructure, there are still reminders if you look around

flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 10-02-2013, 02:37 AM   #4579
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Eastern Europe
Oddometer: 4,424
At the Telsa museum in Belgrade

He was a remarkable man

He had so many inventions that we are still using today like the electric motor, remote control by radio waves.

And guess who really invented the light bulb? It wasn't Edison.

flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 10-02-2013, 02:39 AM   #4580
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Eastern Europe
Oddometer: 4,424
In Belgrade
This was the jerkiest trolley ride I have ever taken. Fun for the first 3 minutes and then after that I was ready to get off. Plus it was almost as fast to walk


flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 10-02-2013, 04:20 AM   #4581
mirtna
Magrambalgue
 
mirtna's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: East Idaho, U.S.A.
Oddometer: 55
Cool2 1/2 Italian, 1/2 Spanish - and from Buenos Aires?!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrakuda View Post
Man pfff... the wife being half spanish half italian doesn`t make things easy...

I just brought the thing home, no asking. Then it was WAR.

I had no sex for a month, in fact the first week i was like non existing.

Then i had to make a lot of promisses, a lot o which i barely remember except for the AGATT, that one allowed me to buy a lot of very nice gear

The peace was signed after an -open husbands wallet- trip to Buenos Aires
Dude, Barrakuda,
I feel for you! I'd think you were talking about my situation except I am me and you are you! My wife is from Buenos Aires with that unique bloodline mix and disposition of Italian and Spanish. Maybe my situation is more extreme now that my stepdaughter has turned 13. I now have two of the beautiful histéricas in the house! And, ..... my 5 year old is a mix of Irish, German, Italian, and Spanish. He is a firebrand who's energy never quits until sleep (usually late!). My answer? ...... I am now on an adventure ride on the GS in Colorado!
__________________
Mirtna - ESA
"It takes a gentleman to suffer ignorance and smile." ....... so please be a gentleman and be patient with me.
mirtna is offline  
Old 10-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #4582
Starstruck
Zoner
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 45
Actually, it is a sandwich.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
Is "Sandwich" code for something else????? It is Vietnam after all. I will check out this "sandwich" (wink wink, nudge nudge) and see for my self how good she.......I mean.......it is
http://www.concierge.com/images/idea...tfood_010p.jpg

Not that Vietnam is not a delight for all the senses.....
__________________
2012 R1200R
Starstruck is offline  
Old 10-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #4583
squawk77
Dreamer
 
squawk77's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Deutschland
Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I guess we should learn just to butt out sometimes and let countries resolve their own differences. Just my 2 cents
I got the same impression recently riding through the former Yugoslavic countries. There are many perspectives and opinions to everything in history and that's why travelling to such places is so enriching! "Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer."
__________________
ADVriders on Kiva | Balkans | Morocco | Alps | Corsica
squawk77 is offline  
Old 10-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #4584
stino
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Italy,Bergamo
Oddometer: 13
Hi I try to answer you in PM without succes,I don't know what happen.
However if you are a wine lover Italy is the best place in the world
stino is offline  
Old 10-03-2013, 04:38 AM   #4585
lemosley01
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I spent the day with the girl from Russia walking around the war museum in Belgrade. I was asking her questions about what she felt happened here only 15 short years ago. I finally asked too many questions and she started to cry.
Yes, it wasn't that long ago.
To be honest, I didn't really know much about the conflict.
So I did a little research when I got back.

Seems to me it was something I wouldn't support.

It would be like if Texas wanted to break away from the US and start its own state and China stepped in and started bombing us to get us to stop fighting.

I guess we should learn just to butt out sometimes and let countries resolve their own differences. Just my 2 cents
When I read you were in Belgrade, I had to look it up as I couldn't remember which country Belgrade was in - then I found it was in the former Yugoslavia, which is why I didn't know what country it was currently in, and that led me to the info about the breakup.
lemosley01 is offline  
Old 10-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #4586
mary
Adventurer
 
mary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Jax, Florida
Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
Thanks and I hope the back feels better
I am curious about something.
How does one stumble across my blog (RR)?
It interests me how you all found my blog
I work at a certain Cycle Products Company and the boss mans wife emailed us the link. Been following ever since. Too cool and kind of neat to see my families native country covered here as well. (Hungary)



Mary
__________________
Tailgating: The megaphone of single digit IQ's.
mary is offline  
Old 10-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #4587
barrakuda
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Santiago, Chile
Oddometer: 35
bacho, i just came across with this which may be of interest:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915047
barrakuda is offline  
Old 10-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #4588
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Eastern Europe
Oddometer: 4,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by squawk77 View Post
I got the same impression recently riding through the former Yugoslavic countries. There are many perspectives and opinions to everything in history and that's why travelling to such places is so enriching! "Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer."

Then step aside Mr Gates, because I want to be the richest man in the world
flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 10-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #4589
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Eastern Europe
Oddometer: 4,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
I work at a certain Cycle Products Company and the boss mans wife emailed us the link. Been following ever since. Too cool and kind of neat to see my families native country covered here as well. (Hungary)



Mary
She told two friends....... and then she told two friends.......and so on, and so on, and so on.
Love it!
Maybe when I am all finished with my trip, they will name a men's cologne after me
flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 10-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #4590
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Eastern Europe
Oddometer: 4,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrakuda View Post
bacho, i just came across with this which may be of interest:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915047
Thanks!
I think I just found a new best friend.

And it El Bacho to you
flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Closed Thread

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014