Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #4666
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Bs As

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonal View Post
Maybe not if you are in the Miriflores district of Lima, but drive just north and you will see what third world looks like!
I was thinking more Buenos Aires, Santiago or Montevideo ... but I have ridden all over the western USA and there are parts of it that resemble exactly what you saw .... so where is the 3rd world exactly ?
Old 10-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #4667
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,388
my realization

I have only been here in Lima for three days now and I have spent more money than I would have spent in a month traveling on my moto.
Groceries, restaurant bills, drinks, nights out on the town, birthday presents, taxi rides and some new clothes just to name a few of my expenses.
So I just realized something......
It is less costly to travel the world on a motorcycle than it is to live with a woman.
At this rate, I May have to change the title of my RR to "Around the World in 700 Days"

flyingdutchman177 screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 10:12 PM
Old 10-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #4668
BillUA
Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer: 98
Laugh

Well if it flys, floats or you know, it's cheaper to rent
2002 WR 426 Hot Cams
Old 10-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #4669
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillUA View Post
Well if it flys, floats or you know, it's cheaper to rent
Lol
Ain't that the truth
And the milk is never for free
Old 10-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #4670
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwunger View Post
I was thinking more Buenos Aires, Santiago or Montevideo ... but I have ridden all over the western USA and there are parts of it that resemble exactly what you saw .... so where is the 3rd world exactly ?
My definition of "third world" is any country where you can't flush your dirty toilet paper down the drain

And unless you are staying at a fancy resort, that includes a good chunk of Central and South America.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #4671
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
My definition of "third world" is any country where you can't flush your dirty toilet paper down the drain...unless you are staying at a fancy resort, that includes a good chunk of Central and South America.
some places yes .... but some in N.A. think the whole continent is like that and it is simply not true .... Bs As had a subway before NYC.

"It is less costly to travel the world on a motorcycle than it is to live with a woman."

oh man ain't that the truth ... those of us who are married know this to be true ....
Old 10-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #4672
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwunger View Post
some places yes .... but some in N.A. think the whole continent is like that and it is simply not true .... Bs As had a subway before NYC.

"It is less costly to travel the world on a motorcycle than it is to live with a woman."

oh man ain't that the truth ... those of us who are married know this to be true ....
In the big cities in SA, you see a lot of fancy cars on the streets here and Louis Vuitton shops. Chile reminded be a lot of California and Colombia was not far behind.
Just be careful flushing that wad of TP or you might find yourself swimming in shit. And even that is changing. I saw a lot of road construction down here to replace that old sewer pipe with a more efficient system.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #4673
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

just one mistake and it might be game over

I will never forget this moment on my trip:

I was riding thru this little town in Colombia. I don't know the name and it is not important anyway. It was just one of the thousands of little villages I have ridden thru on my trip so far. I was cruising along about 40 mph and I remember seeing this little dog on the side of the road. I remember how happy the dog seemed by his behavior. But just as I got close, the dog turned around and decided to cross the street right in front of me without looking. The dog was evidently distracted by something. It might have been the doggie-style poodle sex earlier in the day the dog was thinking about or something else, but the dog made a mistake by not looking both ways.
Well, I hit the brakes hard. I was almost sure I was going to run him over but the BMW scrubbed off speed quickly and I stopped just short of the dog. But unfortunately for Fido, two kids were racing me on a little two stroke motorcycle. They didn't see the dog and hit him square on. I remember the sound of impact distinctly. The dog went flying and spinning just above the ground. The kids on the little bike got in to a little wobble but some how managed to keep the bike upright.
But the dog was dead.
It all happened so fast.
The dog made a mistake.
And sometimes that is all it takes.
It got me thinking how close I come to death everyday.......
If I just lose my focus around any of the thousands of corners I ride each day, it might be game over for me. And unlike a video game, there is no reset button and you only have one life.
I try not to think of all the ways that I cheat death......
Oil or gravel in a corner
Riding faster than I should
Popping wheelies to show off in the city center
Etc.

But it doesn't have to be my mistake that ends my trip.
It could be someone elses stupidity.
All it takes is just one car to make the classic left turn in front of you.
And that is what scares the hell out of me.
I can accept a mistake on my part but to have someone else make a mistake that ends my trip or worse, that would really suck

All it takes is one mistake but if you look at most accidents involving two vehicles, it is usually the result of a mistake made by each party.
So looking back at the little dog in Colombia, I can't say it was all his fault. Sure he didn't look before he tried crossing the road, but the kids were not paying attention either.

I try to enhance my odds of staying alive by having a bright headlight, big yellow motorcycle, neon yellow helmet, light colored suit and protective riding gear.
So even if someone does make a mistake, I stand a good chance to stand and continue my adventure.

flyingdutchman177 screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 01:26 PM
Old 10-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #4674
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,031
You can do a lot to minimize the odds, but there's still some factors you can't control. For me it's the damn animals that freak me out, you just can't predict the behaviour - a dog is one thing, it's make you feel bad, but a deer...it can make you and your motorcycle feel REALLY bad.

When time comes to replace your helmet, consider a white one. Everytime I'm riding in a group, I can pick out the guys with white helmets above all the other riders. Something about a white dot moving against a background, really catches your eye, and that's what you want - to be seen.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Old 10-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #4675
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

poor doggie

yes, I ran over a cat once on my R1150R ... and I really do like cats ! ... it happened all too fast .... but they have 9 lives so I always hoped he made out ok.

sorry if we got off on the wrong foot, but I do find your story very entertaining and informative - your wine sidelines very were much appreciated, sadly you may not have those in muslim world.

I find your RR as good as Jay's (the fellow from Chicago/India) who is chilling in New Delhi I think .... great adventure, well documented !
Old 10-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #4676
barrakuda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Today i went to Mr`s TT shop to buy a side stand extender, once in the shop I couldnt help but notice that the owner and the guys that work there had a very sad look in their faces.
Then I was talking to the owner and he told me that a very good friend of him, a rider too, was killed this morning, he was hit by a truck whose driver lost control of the thing, it was a front hit. We are talking about a guy that travelled al thru SA in his bike, but today he was driving his x5, ironic isnt it?
Im not saying that you should ride like an idiot, in fact a take it very seriously when I ride my bike, AGATT is a must and im 110% alert and focused on what im doing knowing that in every corner there is a stupid driver that wants to kill me, really, thats best.

In the other hand i know that destiny cant be dodged and that is what i say to every one that talk to me about how dangerous is ridng a bike.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #4677
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

back to the show

Here's some pictures from my last couple of days in Europe before my camera got lost here in Peru.

This is a shot of the mountains in Montenegro. I am looking forward to coming back here next summer and doing some hiking.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #4678
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

here's what the mountain roads look like on my GPS here in Montenegro.
I was feeling pretty good that day after a week of diarrhea and being sick. So I was having some fun carving up these mountain roads.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #4679
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

On the way to Albania, I found some time to stop at a winery in Montenegro. I didn't know Montenegro even made wines. But I am not surprised. Every country seems to try. And after trying these wines, I can safely say that California, Spain and France have nothing to worry about.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #4680
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

My Canadian Friend Kevin works in Albania. There is a small pocket of oil there that accounts for 5+% of Albania's GDP. And my friend is in charge of the oil drilling operation. He works one month on and one month off, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week.
I got a tour of the operation. It is pretty interesting and I learned a lot.

Kevin is one of those guys you can't help but like. He reminds me a lot of my brother Pete. He exudes a lot of positive energy and he is one of those kind of guys that would bend over backwards for you.

He was able to arrange for my bike being stored at his company. I feel good as it is being stored under 24 hour surveillance.

I met Kevin on one of my Baja tours. He and his 3 friends rode with me all the way to Cabo. On the last day in to Cabo, Kevin got separated from the group and I went looking for him. I knew where he was, it was just a matter of catching up to him. And when I finally caught him, we blazed our own route in to Cabo using a route over the Laguna Mountains that I had not been on in 10 years. Needless to say, it was an epic ride and the highlight of the trip for the both of us.

Closed Thread