Oddometer: 4,408
Heading back to Lima today
Old 10-30-2013, 04:38 AM   #4892
lemosley01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter-Douglas View Post
Sometimes I feel like our society is geared towards rewarding the idea of keeping up with jones' (or overspending and foreclosure, for that matter) and makes it incredibly difficult to spend extended time out of the country and pursue adventure. Could be wrong, but I thought I had heard that you're not technically supposed to be able to renew registration from abroad, but you will then pay penalties if you don't take care of it in the normal time frame?

wtf...
In this case it's the government geared toward taking as much money from you as possible.

Nothing to do with 'keeping up with the jones', just plain-old governmental ineptness.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #4893
mcjones
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
Heading back to Lima today
Finally I am up to date! Took me all weekend and lot's of coffee. What a trip! It's crazy to sit here and think that I am here in an office where I am supposed to be 'working' and you are on your way to Lima to continue on with an amazing adventure................I am beginning to think my career choices were not that great after all.

Best of luck my friend! Let us know if we can help in anyway if things get tight.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #4894
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Chimay......

Quote:
After a day like today, I could go for a blue Chimay right now.
Haha I won't have another Chimay for a while Have a safe trip to Lima and keep the AMAZING report coming
Old 10-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #4895
FastHotWheels
Chris Dempsey

Oddometer: 49
Dmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeBrain View Post
Welcome to California. I used to hate dealing with the DMV there. Has to be one of the worst experiences ever. I honestly think they enjoy making people as miserable as they are. I'm now in Utah and I cannot believe the difference. The people in my local DMV are helpful and the fees are a fraction of what they were in Cali.
I hope you are aware DMV will Revoke your registration as soon as AAA reports that you canceled your insurance, I would say you bought yourself about two weeks before its in the system as revoked! If you really want CA registration I would go back to AAA and buy TA minimum policy and keep it active, the good part about AAA is they will deal with the DMV for you while you are out of the country. This happened to me as well you don't want the bike impounded at a border crossing if they check and if you ship the bike they will.

Other states are easer to deal with

RideAlaskaSolo.blogspot.com
RideCalifornia.blogspot.com
COBDR.blogspot.com
Old 10-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #4896
barrakuda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I`m a bit lost here

SE Asia via Lima, very convenient, isn`t it?
Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #4897
Captain Katanga
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I had been lurking here for a few months after discovering your ride report, Ed. It's truly inspiring, to say the least. I'm a new rider, but your report has planted images of quitting my job and riding the world in my head!! I just want to thank you for sharing your story with us Lalo. Until the day comes that I embark on my own journey, I'm thankful there's ride reports like yours that I can live through vicariously....at work no less Congrats on Kathe and all your adventures!!! Can't wait for more!!

David
Old 10-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #4898
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I Love LA

But heading back to Lima now.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #4899
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastHotWheels View Post
I hope you are aware DMV will Revoke your registration as soon as AAA reports that you canceled your insurance, I would say you bought yourself about two weeks before its in the system as revoked! If you really want CA registration I would go back to AAA and buy TA minimum policy and keep it active, the good part about AAA is they will deal with the DMV for you while you are out of the country. This happened to me as well you don't want the bike impounded at a border crossing if they check and if you ship the bike they will.

Other states are easer to deal with
Yes, I found this out when I originally went to the DMV to renew my bike's registration. I had let my insurance expire because it didn't cover me in Europe and this also caused the DMV to suspend my tags even though they were paid current. The DMV gave me some forms to file to prevent the suspension of my registration even though I won't be carrying USA insurance.
All I really wanted and need are the papers saying my bike's tags are current. Most countries can't check and don't really care.
They just want to ensure you own the bike.
And I had only one country in Europe ask to see my insurance card and that was exiting Monte Negro. The card was expired but the guy didn't look or notice. I think he was just going thru the motions.
So Bye bye DMV. I will deal with you when I get back.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #4900
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrakuda View Post
SE Asia via Lima, very convenient, isn`t it?
There is a reason I am going that route.
And you met her
I think you understand
And besides, we are overdue for another vacation......don't you think?
Old 10-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #4901
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Katanga View Post
I had been lurking here for a few months after discovering your ride report, Ed. It's truly inspiring, to say the least. I'm a new rider, but your report has planted images of quitting my job and riding the world in my head!! I just want to thank you for sharing your story with us Lalo. Until the day comes that I embark on my own journey, I'm thankful there's ride reports like yours that I can live through vicariously....at work no less Congrats on Kathe and all your adventures!!! Can't wait for more!!

David
I think my RR is a bit like playing the lottery.
Most people don't think they are really going to win.
But for a dollar, it sure buys a lot of nice dreams.
thanks for riding along
Old 10-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #4902
CGgunner
Globe Rover

Oddometer: 9
Insurance

In regards to insurance,, although a day late and a dollar short, when I lived in Mexico I just put my insurance in "Storage" status. It was about 9 bucks a month. I just gave Geico a call on my way to San Diego and it covered while in the states, then back to storage.

I have been lurking you RR for a while now and look forward to your missives. It's a great ride that's getting me motivated for Portland to Prudhoe this summer.

Also, on the news last night a report of a looming wine shortage due to higher demand is forcast. I'm holding you directly responsible!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #4903
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,310
Quote:
But heading back to Lima now.

Nothing like a glazed donut...Set a course to Lima
Old 10-31-2013, 05:57 AM   #4904
shallowskiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369