Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #4996
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,471
The weather has not cooperated with us
We have had clouds and rain most days.
But we are still having fun.
Right now we are on the beach having a beer and some shrimp tacos in Cozumel.
Sunday we will be back in Miami.
Full report coming soon

Old 11-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #4997
BillUA
Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer: 85
Awesome! You are truly enjoying life my friend!
2002 WR 426 Hot Cams
Old 11-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #4998
mediaguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Ed, I don't know if you heard but Kurt Caselli was killed at the Baja 1000 just 100 miles from the finish line when it appeared that he hit a small animal and crashed. Sad, sad news about one of the greatest off road racers in our time.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #4999
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaguy View Post
Ed, I don't know if you heard but Kurt Caselli was killed at the Baja 1000 just 100 miles from the finish line when it appeared that he hit a small animal and crashed. Sad, sad news about one of the greatest off road racers in our time.
+1 RIP Kurt
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Old 11-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #5000
AirCommando
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Made it!

Finally made it to the front of the line.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #5001
hosertp
Adnauseam Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Kurt Caselli

A case could be made for " . . . of all time". I had the priviledge of watching him grow up and his riding was inspirational.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #5002
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Special ed,

Rodrigo Santana and Carl Vella sends you besos barbie.

Besos and hugs back at you Baja Boys
Old 11-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #5003
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlkefauver View Post
Enjoying your ATW RR. Great life story, great pic's and great adventure! Now slow down so I can catch up. I am only on page 80 and my work is suffering. Don't know if your still traveling, married, living in a Volkswagen van in Mexico...
Give me 3 more weeks and I will get caught up!!
And I am sure this photo is unfiltered??

Filter? What is that?
LOL
It is just bad old Central American Smog.
They burn everything down there
Old 11-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #5004
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squawk77 View Post
You can also negotiate longer term prices (I was paying ~$30/day for a Kawi 650cc ER6N which is unnecessarily huge in Chiang Mai so then under $20/day for KLX 250 dirt bike) If you arrange it and tell them you will ride it for weeks/months, the good shops will prep one up well and also usually provide service/recovery of some sort. I would also be inclined to buy one myself but the problem is not many locals own these "big" bikes, and the hassles of swapping over luggage every country might be less than the paperwork and maint etc. I saw some people bring very badly dropped bikes... and my jaw dropped when they were asked for merely ~$50 for what I expected at least 10, 20 times in damage (easily thousands by NA insurance prices)

I did contact some riding friends in Chiang Mai about any possible leads on a used 250L for sale... the only ones they know of are rentals and it's the start of busy season now so those won't be for sale. It will probably be easier to find one once you're there. The guy I rented from (who is truly great and looks after his bikes himself and also kits them up well) he just bought 12 new Honda 250L this year, so they are out there! He also got some new adv touring Honda CB500x which look great.
I really have my heart set on a Honda CRF250L
And I really don't want to buy a bike from a rental company. Bad karma remember? Anyone that has had the pleasure of riding in a rental car with me can appreciate this.
What I might have to do is rent a bike while I am trying to find a CRF and figure out the paperwork. I am just about 10 days away from getting on a plane and I still am not even close to figuring this all out........but I will.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #5005
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaguy View Post
Sad News
I can't think of anything more dangerous than riding in the Baja 1000 (other than jumping out of an airplane without a parachute).
I love Baja and guiding tours there but racing at 10 tenths down there is insane.
And it is a total blast too
Something everyone has to do at least once.
RIP KC
Old 11-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #5006
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Our second cruise

What????
Another cruise?
Isn't this supposed to be a motorcycle ride report?
Yeah......
I thought so too
When I set off in June of last year for my first shake down run to Cabo San Lucas on The Flying Dutchman, I was with another girl friend.
And when she ended things, it came as a big surprise to me.
At that time if someone told me that I would be going on cruises and all inclusive resorts on my 800 day RTW trip, I would have told them they were crazy. And if they told me that I would travel to 15 different countries with this Peruvian hottie seen here, I couldn't imagine it in my wildest dreams
But that is exactly what has happened.
Expect the unexpected is what I should have expected.
Anything can happen
And not all of it is bad.
Most of it has been amazing.

And yes, I am living the dream.
I have to pinch myself sometimes because it is hard to believe it is really happening.
But here we are on our second cruise. This time to the Caribbean

Old 11-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #5007
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

If you recall, we tried to smuggle our own booze on board.
I had brought 5 bottles of wine, a really nice bottle of tequila and a bottle of vodka for Kathe.
We had 2 bottles of wine in our big luggage, a bottle of wine each in our smaller bags, one bottle of wine I carried in hand in an ice tea bottle, Kathe carried the vodka in hand in a water bottle and I had the tequila in my camel back bladder. My thought was I didn't want to put too much of anything in one place.
But as it turned out, NCL is pretty sharp. They were 4 for 7.
When were boarded, they made everyone throw out ANY liquids carried on board just like they do in an airplane.
Kathe went first and they smelled her "water" and made her toss her vodka
And they grabbed my "ice tea" and even found my tequila in the bladder. But instead of tossing it, I grabbed it back and yelled I am not going without my ice tea and left the line. I went outside to the bathroom and dumped out the wine. This made me sad but I wanted the tequila more as it was a $40 bottle of Anejo.
I put the tequila in the ice tea bottle and put it in my underwear.
REALLY
I can't believe I did that, but there was no way they were going to make me pour out my tequila.
So I walked through the line in plain view of all the police and security with the bottle of tequila in my shorts.
And yes, it looked like I had both an erection and the world's biggest hemorrhoid, but I dared them to check it out.
And after a few tense moments, I made it on board with my contraband.

They found 2 of the 4 bottles of wine in the luggage which pissed me off further.
But this worked out ok. I paid a $15 corkage for one of the bottles and the other was returned the last day for us to drink.

So in the end, we didn't spend all that much on drinks. But for some, the alcohol cost them more than the cost of the cruise.

Here's Kathe enjoying one of the drinks we bought on the ship

Old 11-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #5008
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

One of the fun things to do on a cruise ship is to eat.
You don't have to choose between soup or salad.....or steak or fish........or cheesecake or apple pie........because you can have it all
And we bought a bottle of wine off the wine list that first night.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #5009
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Later that night, there was a toga party in the disco. Of course we had some more drinks and joined in.
So much fun

flyingdutchman177 screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 08:30 PM
Old 11-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #5010
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hang Over

We don't remember much about what happened after the toga party, but the next morning, we looked at our camera for any clues. We found these pictures but we are still unsure what they mean........

Closed Thread