User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #5026
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,625
This shot was taken in front of my friend's house.
He said that on most days the water in front of his house is very calm and good for snorkeling. But on the day we were there, there were actually waves breaking but the day was still good for tossing back a few cold ones and laughing about old times with good friends

Old 11-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #5027
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cozumel

Our next stop was Cozumel Mexico
We got off the boat and rented a scooter.
I thought $20 for the day was a fair price. They thought $45 sounded good.
I just kept walking away until I found someone willing to take $20.
And you get what you pay for......as I found out.
But it was a Honda, but it had just short of what seemed like a million miles on it.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #5028
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I headed down the road and had the throttle pinned the whole way.
Our plan was to ride around the island and stop at some of the beaches along the way. I wasn't sure how fast we were going because the speedometer was broken but the 150cc scooter was good for about 50 I think. It felt more like 150 mph to me.
About 10 miles in to the ride, I heard metal hitting the road and looked down and saw sparks flying. The muffler had come off and was being drug along on the ground. It seems a weld gave way but it was still attached by one bolt.
I pulled over and surveyed the situation. Kathe thought our day was over.
But doing all the Baja tours over the years has taught me to be resourceful. In fact, I have probably repaired 5 or 10 broken Honda mufflers before out on the trail so this one was going to be no different. Looking around, I found the materials that I needed to make the fix. I pulled apart a barbwire fence to use to prop up the muffler and I had us back on the road in about 5 minutes. Kathe was very impressed. She called me MacGyver after that. Girls like having a MacGyver around. Even the guy at the scooter shop was impressed and thought I would make a good Mexican mechanic.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #5029
Hunter-Douglas
rube

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
Girls like having a MacGyver around.

Well done.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #5030
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

When we rented the scooter, the sun was out and it looked like a nice day. But when we got to the first beach, it looked like the sky was going to open up. This was our first beach stop

Old 11-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #5031
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

We wanted to find a more secluded beach so we headed down the road until we found these blowholes.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #5032
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The other side of the island was more secluded, but with the storm coming, the sea was rough. Here I am out doing some body surfing in the waves

Old 11-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #5033
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

We finally found our secluded beach.
There wasn't a soul around for miles.
I think we made a certain cocktail proud right there on the cruise ship beach towel.

But then all of a sudden, the wind kicked up like a small tornado was approaching. The skies were dark and I knew what was coming.
I jumped up and snapped this quick picture and then 5 seconds later it was pouring rain.

We basically rode most of the rest of the way back to the ship in the rain. We were soaked and freezing. But at the same time, it was kind of fun too.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #5034
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Heading back to the ship, I let Kathe drive the scooter....................NOT!

Old 11-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #5035
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Our stateroom on the ship. It was pretty nice. I was pleasantly surprised with NCL (even if they did confiscate our booze). We even got a free cabin upgrade and got an outside cabin with an obstructed view of the sea (window).

Old 11-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #5036
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Making Kathe laugh
Ciao for now Caribbean
Even though the weather could have been better, we still had a blast on the cruise ship and didn't spend much money.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #5037
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,508
Quote:
Our stateroom on the ship. It was pretty nice. I was pleasantly surprised with NCL (even if they did confiscate our booze). We even got a free cabin upgrade and got an outside cabin with an obstructed view of the sea (window).

Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #5038
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Back in Lima

Kathe and I went to the black market in Lima. It is a place to buy things for little money. She also said it was a dangerous place as many things sold there are stolen and for me not to bring my wallet or watch. She also said it is the kind of place that one gets kidnapped, killed and your body parts are sold off. But to me, it looked like any one of the countless places that I had visited along the way in my travels. Just another busy city with normal people going about their everyday lives. But I was watching my back regardless..........God forbid someone were to get my brain in a transplant surgery. Let's just say I did the world a favor.
I needed to go there because I needed a large suitcase with wheels to carry all my stuff to Thailand. I need a bag with wheels because it seems like I am going to be without a motorcycle for at least a couple for days and I need to tote all my crap around easily.
I found a big beautiful used suitcase for only $15. I didn't want to spend too much because I will most likely not be using this suitcase again. Maybe can sell it for a few bucks when I get there and am done with it.
In fact, everything I do from now on is going to be done on a strict budget. I am running dangerously low on money and I want to extend my travels for as long as my money can hold out.
For example, when I was in Mexico this past week, I had my eye on this amazing bottle of tequila but I passed on it because I just couldn't justify it. I reasoned that my travels would be 3 or 4 days shorter if I bought it.
So while in SE Asia, I won't be buying any wine or staying in any fancy resorts. I will be camping as much as possible, eating cheap food and splurge on a beer now and then.
And I hope that gets me thru the next 5 months.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #5039
Starstruck
Zoner

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Kathe and I went to the black market in Lima. It is a place to buy things for little money. She also said it was a dangerous place as many things sold there are stolen and for me not to bring my wallet or watch. She also said it is the kind of place that one gets kidnapped, killed and your body parts are sold off. But to me, it looked like any one of the countless places that I had visited along the way in my travels. Just another busy city with normal people going about their everyday lives. But I was watching my back regardless..........God forbid someone were to get my brain in a transplant surgery. Let's just say I did the world a favor.
I needed to go there because I needed a large suitcase with wheels to carry all my stuff to Thailand. I need a bag with wheels because it seems like I am going to be without a motorcycle for at least a couple for days and I need to tote all my crap around easily.
I found a big beautiful used suitcase for only $15. I didn't want to spend too much because I will most likely not be using this suitcase again. Maybe can sell it for a few bucks when I get there and am done with it.
In fact, everything I do from now on is going to be done on a strict budget. I am running dangerously low on money and I want to extend my travels for as long as my money can hold out.
For example, when I was in Mexico this past week, I had my eye on this amazing bottle of tequila but I passed on it because I just couldn't justify it. I reasoned that my travels would be 3 or 4 days shorter if I bought it.
So while in SE Asia, I won't be buying any wine or staying in any fancy resorts. I will be camping as much as possible, eating cheap food and splurge on a beer now and then.
And I hope that gets me thru the next 5 months.
Oh sure, we know you're really going to Thailand for the "world class vintages" made from traditional European Cabernet Savignon, Chenin blanc, and Shiraz grapes (must be true, I read it on the Internet!). We can only expect detailed summaries of the Siam Winery-Hua Hills vineyard and the Silverlake Winery in Pattaya along the southern coast, and the wineries situated around Khao Yai in south central Thailand and the..... Personally, I'll stick to the beer.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #5040
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstruck View Post
Oh sure, we know you're really going to Thailand for the "world class vintages" made from traditional European Cabernet Savignon, Chenin blanc, and Shiraz grapes (must be true, I read it on the Internet!). We can only expect detailed summaries of the Siam Winery-Hua Hills vineyard and the Silverlake Winery in Pattaya along the southern coast, and the wineries situated around Khao Yai in south central Thailand and the..... Personally, I'll stick to the beer.
If there are wineries over there, you better believe I will drop in for a taste. And who knows, maybe they will let me tour and taste for free since I am getting famous here. After all, I did put Chimay on the map. When I first when there, they were just a few monks brewing some good beer........lol
Closed Thread