Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #5491
Vivzkice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
There are these trucks that drive around the roads here in northern thailand.
It appears to be powered by a one cylider diesel generator motor.
I would suspect that they are chinese built. And to bring the cost down, they did away with all things that were unnecessary like a cab, doors, body work or safety equipment. This is the stripped down model that replaces the steering wheel with handlebars. But it is something that a small farmer can afford and gives the oxen a day off or puts them on the dinner menu

[/URL]
i was laughing how you see farmer's things out from a globetrotter's view dutchman. that was an impressive comment.:)

those were actually hand tractors purposely built for tilling the farmfields and are not road legal in strict sense but just a farmer's ingenuity to have all he could get out of that equipment, as a farm equipment and as a farm transport as well.

hand tractors were originally have steel wheels for the paddy fields and are replaced with rubber wheels. similar to motocross dirt bike turned into a supermoto :) and then the cattle cart attached pulling it to form a farm transport.

carry on to your day to day updates. wish you all well on your SE Asia travels.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #5492
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,249
Quote:
First off, i was thinking i would get the Penfolds Grange if I won and the Penfolds Koonunga Hill for you if I lost
But i still think my bike is lighter with the respective pilots on each bike.....just saying Big Fella :-)
I think my luggage weighs in around 30 kilos or less (depending on how many bottles of wine i am carrying) lol
And did you ever think that maybe your wheel bearing issues were caused by crossing Burmese rivers on over loaded bamboo rafts where half of your bike is submerged under water??? Just saying again........

Truth be told, i would love to be flying thru the bumps over here like i do in Baja. But this is not a race for me, it is an endurence ride. I am trying to balance the ride and speed to make it to the finish. And so far i have been pretty successful as i have not encountered any major problems so far in the past 18 months......and i want to keep it that way.
So if that means i need to hike up my skirt and go slow thru the deeper water crossings to keep my hair dryer from getting wet......then so be it. And at least i won't be in the shop repkacing my wheel bearing all the time.
Ha ha... Koonunga Hill eh? I'll settle for some St Henri then, just to be nice. Here or Oz, up to you.

btw, never got more than a tyre wet on the rafts.... but I have had one hour old oil end up like this

.... and reasonably new boots give up the ghost in Asian mud

Seriously... it can and often does get rough.... and the less gear, the better.

.... now... just to settle that bet, once and for all

Bike 113 kg vs 138 kg

Gear 10 kg vs 30 kg (or 40.... when you include your front packs, food, etc)

That's a bike/gear subtotal of 123 kg vs 178 kg.... a 55 kg difference.

Rider - 119 kg (and rapidly decreasing.... was 106 kg before I destroyed my knee) vs....... your ?????

I total mine at 242 kg bike, gear and rider.... so you win if you are a 6'1" beanpole that weighs under 64 kg.... which I doubt.... and you'd need to be 51 kg or less to win when I'm at normal operating weight.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #5493
Erik500
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post

.... now... just to settle that bet, once and for all

Bike 113 kg vs 138 kg

Gear 10 kg vs 30 kg (or 40.... when you include your front packs, food, etc)

That's a bike/gear subtotal of 123 kg vs 178 kg.... a 55 kg difference.

Rider - 119 kg (and rapidly decreasing.... was 106 kg before I destroyed my knee) vs....... your ?????

I total mine at 242 kg bike, gear and rider.... so you win if you are a 6'1" beanpole that weighs under 64 kg.... which I doubt.... and you'd need to be 51 kg or less to win when I'm at normal operating weight.
Well deducted
I'd say Lalo is in the 75-85 kg range so that makes you a clear winner of the bet
Have a great new years eve all!
Old 12-31-2013, 12:17 AM   #5494
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,410
[QUOTE=Erik500;23099775]Well deducted
I'd say Lalo is in the 75-85 kg range so that makes you a clear winner of the bet
Have a great new years eve all![/QUOTE
Hold on a minute......who's side are you on?:-)

And we need to compare apples with apples
First off, on a five month multi country tour, you would not be carrying only 10 kilos, especially if you plan to camp out most nights
Let's call it a draw.
When i come to Oz, i'll buy you a bottle of St Henri or the RWT and you get me the 707, we'll throw some shrimp on the barbie and we can put it all on a scale. And after two bottles of Penfolds, it really won't mater at that point

flyingdutchman177 screwed with this post 12-31-2013 at 12:22 AM
Old 12-31-2013, 03:22 AM   #5495
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,410
Here is an interesting map i found. It shows the various visa requirement for the countries around the world. Basically, anything shown in gray makes your life difficult. The others may also have various degrees of difficulty for land travel
And this is just for your body to cross the border. It is a whole other story for your motorcycke....with carnets and other hoops to jump thru

Old 12-31-2013, 03:47 AM   #5496
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

[QUOTE=flyingdutchman177;23099869]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik500 View Post
Well deducted
Have a great new years eve all![/QUOTE
Hold on a minute......who's side are you on?:-)

And we need to compare apples with apples
First off, on a five month multi country tour, you would not be carrying only 10 kilos, especially if you plan to camp out most nights
Let's call it a draw.
When i come to Oz, i'll buy you a bottle of St Henri or the RWT and you get me the 707, we'll throw some shrimp on the barbie and we can put it all on a scale. And after two bottles of Penfolds, it really won't mater at that point

Nah..... when I'm on a longer run (eg 20 months) I pack a two extra pairs of undies, socks and shirts.... and some wheel bearings and brake pads.... but let's not forget, then I'm down to under 110 kg.

Total luggage including cameras and computer.... 20 kg, which I really should get down a bit. I keep toying with the idea of titanium tools and tyre levers, for example. Flying over this time, I had 28.5 kg, but that included a lot of service items.... new brake disks, pads, sprockets and chain and other bits... including, dare I say it, heaps of wheel bearings. My camping gear is quite basic... ground sheet, bivvy sack and sleeping bag. The only food I carry is a handful of sticky rice and some pork jerky.

BTW.... In honour of my win, I'm having a bottle of Taylors "Promised Land" Shiraz Cabernet at Rider's Corner. Heading north tomorrow with some more Aussie red (and a French Bordeau) and into Laos sometime later in the week. If you are near Hongsa / Luang Prabang give me a yell.

.... as for some prawns on the BBQ in Sydney.... no worries.... happy to throw an event on. When are you due in Oz?
Old 12-31-2013, 03:54 AM   #5497
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Quote:
Here is an interesting map i found. It shows the various visa requirement for the countries around the world. Basically, anything shown in gray makes your life difficult. The others may also have various degrees of difficulty for land travel
And this is just for your body to cross the border. It is a whole other story for your motorcycke....with carnets and other hoops to jump thru

I'd be a bit wary of that... Indonesia, for example, is visa on arrival.... except if you turn up at a land border (Timor-Leste).... in which case you need one in your passport already
Old 12-31-2013, 05:14 AM   #5498
Beer
950 SE

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
It is the last day of 2013......... I have a lot more ground to cover in SE Asia and i am surprisingly enjoying myself there much more than i had expected. And then i am back to The Flying Dutchman and will finish the rest of Europe. After that....
So rubber side down and make the best of 2014

Lalo
i've been gradually catching up on the rest of your travels - i didn't see anywhere that you had been to the UK yet - I live 30 mins from where you will probably arrive in the port of Dover, Kent - there is a spare double en suite room in my house and i can take you trail riding round Kent and Wales, I could also arrange for other to take you round Salisbury Plain, Thetford forest, the peak district and possibly even Ireland.

Anyways bear me in mind (i'l remind you if you do make plans to visit. (the best time is between April and September)

Hope 2014 turns out to be an even more epic year than this one for you

Safe Travels and Happy New year

http://950superenduro.com
Old 12-31-2013, 07:17 AM   #5499
howellhandmade
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
Seriously.... you do need to get the weight down.... riding across landslips with a 12" wide track.... and 200'+ to the bottom isn't a place to be on a heavily laden bike

Sheeeeet! Daunting for a boxer. That last bit before the fallen tree, pretty sketchy.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:10 AM   #5500
Muncle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
far behind but reading every day

Thanks for sharing,,,
This report takes lots of time on your part but it is truly enjoyed.
On page 111 now, will let you know when l get current.
Thanks again
Old 12-31-2013, 08:16 AM   #5501
Rough ride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Great read. Thank you.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #5502
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,531
Happy New Year Lalo! still with ya and following along daily, enjoying the ride.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
Old 12-31-2013, 12:07 PM   #5503
pceire32
Irish

Oddometer: 569
Thank you for the great RR, may you ride safe in '14 and Happy New Year Lalo !
Old 12-31-2013, 01:16 PM   #5504
lqgsrider
LQDesert Rider

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
There are lots of beautiful waterfall and natural hot springs in Thailand.
This one was a cimbination of the two........a hot springs waterfall. Sadly, there was no swimming allowed here

"No Swimming" sign since when does that stop Lalo??
Old 01-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #5505
gwedo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
truly wild adventure. glad we can follow along. what is the temp there was supprised to see people with big jackets and gloves.have a great new year,be safe, and have fun.