Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #5626
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,454
Hmm... more weight

Boy, am I looking forward to those two bottles of fine Aussie red.

As to tyres... I've had no problem picking up either IRC or QUICK tyres for my KTM 525 EXC in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia (have bought them in all three countries). Being made in Thailand, they are cheaper there... $60 for the IRC. I bought one for $75 in Cambodia, last November.

The QUICK (made by Dunlop) seems to hold its knobs on better on the highway - but they are an uncomfortable tyre on the road. The IRC I fitted in Siem Reap had lost 4 knobs in a row after the first day, and eventually 14 of the 20 knobs around the centre were thrown. They simply won't stay on at speeds over 120 kph.

I'd sure be steering more towards the knobby type than the highway style if you are wanting to see Laos - there's some great places off the tourist track

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 01-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #5627
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 356
Hi

You can (or any Motorbike shop ) order Tires like Dunlop D605 or Metzler Karoo , Sahara 3 Enduro or Enduro 1 or Unicross from from

Tyrethailand.com

Take a look at this Website .

You will find the Telefon number .
Call , transfer the Money and the Tires are 2 Days later in Nan .

Same for IRCthailand.com
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Old 01-22-2014, 11:46 PM   #5628
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
Hmm... more weight

Boy, am I looking forward to those two bottles of fine Aussie red.

As to tyres... I've had no problem picking up either IRC or QUICK tyres for my KTM 525 EXC in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia (have bought them in all three countries). Being made in Thailand, they are cheaper there... $60 for the IRC. I bought one for $75 in Cambodia, last November.

The QUICK (made by Dunlop) seems to hold its knobs on better on the highway - but they are an uncomfortable tyre on the road. The IRC I fitted in Siem Reap had lost 4 knobs in a row after the first day, and eventually 14 of the 20 knobs around the centre were thrown. They simply won't stay on at speeds over 120 kph.

I'd sure be steering more towards the knobby type than the highway style if you are wanting to see Laos - there's some great places off the tourist track
Yes, you surely win the bet now.

I am in Laos now and I took this awesome dirt road for 130 km and everything stayed on. And I only slowed down for the big bumps.

Thanks for the tire info. I will be needing a front tire soon as well.

Cheers
Old 01-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #5629
NJ650
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
The hostel i was staying at was just three blocks away from the San Miguel wine bar and just one block away from this pub with all my favorite Beers from Belgium.

I am waiting to hear from the first person who finds and tries this beer to see what they think........i absolutely LOVE it

With dinner tonight. One of my go to beers. Do you use the Untapped app? If so we should connect. You'll see I'm a huge Belgian beer fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Planning 2014 Gaspé and 2014 COBDR
Fuck cancer!
Old 01-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #5630
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,698
Cool Ride! I have been following since the beginning and have really enjoyed your RR!
Old 01-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #5631
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ650 View Post
With dinner tonight. One of my go to beers. Do you use the Untapped app? If so we should connect. You'll see I'm a huge Belgian beer fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
You, my friend, have very good taste in beer
Old 01-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #5632
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

back on the road

After finding my new tire, i set off from Phrae to the border crossing in to Laos. Riding north along the border, i found some of the best roads in Thailand.
Here is my camp spot the first night back in Thailand

Old 01-26-2014, 08:40 PM   #5633
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bridge crossing in a National Park in Thailand

Old 01-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #5634
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

South East Asia has to be one of the best and easiest places to camp. These little huts are everywhere. It seems safe to camp here. The huts provide protection from rain and dew. And it is just plain cool. This one was one of my favorites over looking the lake
This place even had a garage space for my bike

Old 01-26-2014, 08:57 PM   #5635
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I ran in to these guys from Bangkok riding around the awesome back roads in Northern Thailand on 1960's 250 cc Ducatis

Old 01-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #5636
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

It was getting late as i approached the border with Laos. So i decided to make camp in Thailand near the border and do my crossing in the morning. I headed for something called the Communist Museum in this remote corner of Thailand. I headed way back on this dirt road trying to find it. From a distence, i could see this big facility on the side of a hill so i made my way toward it. It wasnt the museum. It was some other government facility and the guys there were having a little party. I rolled up unexpected and they all cheered when i pulled up. They didn't speak much English but they invited me in and served me up some food and poured me a beer. And then a shot of whiskey. And then vodka. Most of the guys were pretty drunk. And at this point, i still had no idea where i was and what kind of place it was.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #5637
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

After a couple of beers and whiskeys, they handed me the microphone to sing some karoke. Here i am belting out my best May Way by Frank Sinatra.
All was going well and everyone was having fun and laughing even though we couldn't understand each other
The head guy invited me to camp there or even sleep at his place
And then i did something that turned out to be taboo in Thailand. The laughing stopped and i was asked nicely but abruptly to leave.
So, i didn't camp there needless to say. I headed out in the dark in search of an empty hut to sleep in. And i was laughing how quickly things had changed and thought i was going to be careful not to do that again........and no, i am not telling what it was that i did

Old 01-26-2014, 09:28 PM   #5638
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

And here is the hut i found that night in the dark. Sure it had a lot of rats but they didn't keep me from sleeping like a baby. I packed up early as the neighbors were close by but didnt notice in the dark. Plus i wanted to get out of Thailand and head in to laos.
I was still laughing in the morning about the chain of events from last night

Old 01-26-2014, 10:33 PM   #5639
Johnny Locks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
After a couple of beers and whiskeys, they handed me the microphone to sing some karoke. Here i am belting out my best May Way by Frank Sinatra.
All was going well and everyone was having fun and laughing even though we couldn't understand each other
The head guy invited me to camp there or even sleep at his place
And then i did something that turned out to be taboo in Thailand. The laughing stopped and i was asked nicely but abruptly to leave.
So, i didn't camp there needless to say. I headed out in the dark in search of an empty hut to sleep in. And i was laughing how quickly things had changed and thought i was going to be careful not to do that again........and no, i am not telling what it was that i did
I think it's your duty to tell us what it is you did that got you kicked out of the party. You might save countless other travelers the same embarrassment. Plus this story is just no damn good without that key element. What was it?
Old 01-26-2014, 11:50 PM   #5640
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,361
Closed Thread