Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 06:46 AM   #5731
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,408
more bad luck

I was riding a single track back to see a remote waterfall. Ithink it was really just a hiking trail.
There were weeds growing up on each side of the trail. I didnt see it, but there was a small stump on the side of the trail hidden in the weeds. I hit it and it snapped off my gear shift lever. And the big issue was it was not the gear lever that broke off. It was actually the shaft coming out of the engine case.
I spent about 30 minutes trying to find the lever in the tall weeds and finally found it.
I had a pair of vice grips with me to attach to the broken shaft so i could shift the bike with my hand. I had this in mind when i packed the vice grips in my tool pouch. But i wasnt so smart because i was warned to replace the stock lever with a folder lever, but i didnt do it. I figured that i wouldnt crash, but i didnt think i could break it in such a mannor. I was trying to save money and now it is going to cost me much more to get it fixed.
In the meantime, i made my way out of the jungle with the vicegrips acting as my shift lever and found a mechanic with a welder. They welded it back on but it snapped off before i got out of the driveway.
They tried again, and it is still attached, but i can't put much force on it otherwise it will surely come off again.
Sucks!!!!
Old 02-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #5732
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I was riding a single track back to see a remote waterfall. Ithink it was really just a hiking trail.
There were weeds growing up on each side of the trail. I didnt see it, but there was a small stump on the side of the trail hidden in the weeds. I hit it and it snapped off my gear shift lever. And the big issue was it was not the gear lever that broke off. It was actually the shaft coming out of the engine case.
I spent about 30 minutes trying to find the lever in the tall weeds and finally found it.
I had a pair of vice grips with me to attach to the broken shaft so i could shift the bike with my hand. I had this in mind when i packed the vice grips in my tool pouch. But i wasnt so smart because i was warned to replace the stock lever with a folder lever, but i didnt do it. I figured that i wouldnt crash, but i didnt think i could break it in such a mannor. I was trying to save money and now it is going to cost me much more to get it fixed.
In the meantime, i made my way out of the jungle with the vicegrips acting as my shift lever and found a mechanic with a welder. They welded it back on but it snapped off before i got out of the driveway.
They tried again, and it is still attached, but i can't put much force on it otherwise it will surely come off again.
Sucks!!!!

Old 02-06-2014, 06:51 AM   #5733
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey... as a matter of interest, how come you can't get more than one photo in per post? This a tablet issue?[/QUOTE]

It is a combination of bad wifi, a stupid tablet and and an ignorant user
Old 02-06-2014, 07:00 AM   #5734
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I had to cross this bridge with my broken shift lever as it was the closest way back to the main road. It was harder than it looks.
Then i got is welded back on. And that delay caused me to get to the middle of nowhere by dark. I searched the area for a hut or a flat piece of land in the mountains to pitch my tent but i couldnt find anything. I ended up sleeping at a truck stop. I pitched my tent in the eating area and just called it a day

Old 02-06-2014, 07:15 AM   #5735
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
You are!

And thanks for taking us along. Seems like the pictures/reports are a bit more sporadic now days - is the report becoming a drag, or maybe WIFI is tough to find down there? I'm amazed that you are able to report as much as you are, for as long as you have, but appreciate it when you do. I think there are lots of us that follow along that don't post much, but we are still here enjoying your adventures. Stay safe-ish .
It is a combo of things
Wifi is harder to come by and it is slow to download my pics to photobucket
A have been camping a lot without internet
Plus when my Rr slipped to a 4 star rated RR, it bugged me. I put a lot of time in to it and i try to make it entertaining. But i know i have some critics that have knocked me down a notch.
So now, i am more focused on enjoying myself and my journey and less so on my RR......probably for the best i suppose
But i do always appreciates the kind words from those that are following along........so thanks
Old 02-06-2014, 07:31 AM   #5736
G-Mac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Don't focus on them, focus on entertaining me!!! Don't you know I live vicariously through your adventures!!!
Alles is goed jonga houden me vermaakt.
Hope I spelt it right my Dutch ain't what it use to be.
Your doing great.
Sent from the great white snowy north.
2002 XR250R Dirty Girl so fun to ride
1997 KLR 650 miss the old girl. Never washed!
Old 02-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #5737
mary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
At this point, i can't imagine regretting my decision.
Even if i am living in a one bedroom apartment and driving an econ-box
But it is easy for me to say that now
The way i look at it.....i can always get back the big house and fancy cars, but i can never get back my time.
My time is my most valuable asset
And while i am healthy, i want to make themost of it
And i think that i am doing just that.
I'm thinking a one room apartment and an econ box will feel like luxury accommodations compared to what you have experienced thus far. Better to do it now than regret not doing it when you're too old to.

Enjoying the adventure from my desk at work...;}
Old 02-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #5738
val4215
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Been watching this RR since the beginning. It is epic!
I think there are a lot of us lurkers out there that haven't commented because, heck, what do I have to contribute to such a awesome adventure?
The shifter shaft is pretty easy to replace once you get a new one. Probably the most difficult part is getting the shaft out there.
Is there anything any of us can do to help?
Old 02-06-2014, 08:00 AM   #5739
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by val4215 View Post
Is there anything any of us can do to help?
Right now? Give Lalo a 5th star!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:03 AM   #5740
nameless
100% recyclable

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post

...Plus when my Rr slipped to a 4 star rated RR, it bugged me. I put a lot of time in to it and i try to make it entertaining. But i know i have some critics that have knocked me down a notch.
mehh, i'd rather be epic than a Metal Jockey IMHO

and remember, envy is something you attract with such trips...

'13 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
Keep Calm
and
Carry On
Old 02-06-2014, 08:12 AM   #5741
hosertp
Adnauseam Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
5 Stars From Here

Keep it up Lalo. I check in everyday and there is always going to be critics. F'm
Old 02-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #5742
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,504
Broken Shifter

Lalo, not sure if you've got this fixed yet or not, but here's an idea...

have the welder weld on a large diameter bolt to the end of the shift shaft. then you can clamp the knurled shifter to the bolt and add a washer & locknut to further secure it in place. it wont be pretty but it should be easier to weld to the shaft and not fall off.

also, in the meantime safety wire that shifter to the bike so when the welds fail you dont lose it!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
Old 02-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #5743
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
5 Stars +++++

Count me in......
5 Stars for Lalo
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post

Scubalong screwed with this post 02-06-2014 at 12:44 PM
Old 02-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #5744
val4215
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Done.
Didn't know about that function.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #5745
-Chris-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Always lurked, never posted in here. I wake up in the morning and go straight to this thread to see how your previous day was. Your doing a great job on the RR and living life (although you don't need me to tell you that part).

You got 5 stars from me! If you ever come through Oklahoma, you have a bed, fire pit, and whatever beer you choose waiting for you, as long as you tell stories! Serious!

Chris
Fly & Ride-2013, Meandering East - From Tulsa to the coast
Closed Thread