Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #5806
lqgsrider
LQDesert Rider

Oddometer: 320
Lalo,

Good job on the bike set up info.

Re the seat issue. I have an Airhawk on one of my bikes a really like it.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #5807
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by 610 View Post
I like your set-up.
I am also riding a CRF250L in the Philippines. I am considering buying the E-12 bags as well to add to the Sea to Summit drybag I have in the rear luggage rack. How do you find the strap running across the back of the seat between the two E-12's? Pain in the butt? (Pun intended :) )
I often ride with my Filipino girlfriend at the back and am a bit worried that the strap is going in the road. I am planning to also use Airhawk seat cushions.
Keep up the good job on the RR.
The strap only runs across the passenger seat area so it has no effect on me. But if sitting on the strap bothers her, then a hand towel or something soft between might help.
I think the airhawk is probably a good idea but looks ugly.
Fortunately, i don't ride far each day here. And when i do, it is usually off road. And for that, i am standing up on the pegs off the seat.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #5808
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I have about 12,000 km on my Honda now. I washed yesterday and it is still looking and running like new.
I have put about 5000 of those miles (8000km) on it since i bought two months ago.
There are some times i wish the bike had more power like in the deep sand or showing off for the kids by popping a wheelie. But it is only a 250 so it is what it is.
It doesnt have much torque down low, but keep it in the powerband, i can keep up with most other bikes and cars on the road without any problem.
I have not had any issues with the bike so far other than the shifter shaft breaking but we all know whose fault that was.
I kind of wish i could take the bike home with me. I will miss it when it goes. But it would be too costly to ship it back to the states. And besides, i would rather have something with more power that can rip thru the sand and lift its front tire with ease. But for here in S E Asia, it fits me just about right..........i rate it 5 stars
Old 02-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #5809
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqgsrider View Post
Lalo,

Good job on the bike set up info.

Re the seat issue. I have an Airhawk on one of my bikes a really like it.
You were my inspiration for putting it together. And i figure others might find it useful as well
Old 02-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #5810
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

hippies and backpackers

I don't get them

There seems to be two schools of travelers here

The hippies
They drift from one place to another looking for a chill place to smoke their bud and just hang out and chat with one another. They talk about animal rights, tofu and all the places they have traveled to on seemingly a zero budget. They sell trinkets or maybe work an odd job when they have to. There seems to be no end or goal to their travels. It is just a permanent escape from the world that most people live in.

And then there are the backpackers. They are usually younger kids out of school, putting off the reality of getting a job. Many of them hardly see the light of day. The roll out of bed at around 3 pm, sleeping off the hang over from the night before and get ready for another night of non stop partying. Ordering cheap drinks, pizzas with pot topping and balloons filled with Nitros Oxide, they don't stop until they are out of money or the last sole passes out.

I can understand the hippies more than these party-packers. I understand the hippies are here because it is less expensive to drift here than in their home country. But the partiers can party anywhere.

In either case, i can make a point that neither seem to really see or get to know and understand the country they are visiting.

But we all have are own reasons for traveling. It is not what i choose to do but i guess i can't knock them. We all have are own way and choose our own path. People are all different and by traveling, you begin to understand and appreciate the differences.

So hippies......enjoy your mushroom trips
And Party people......happy hangover

Now out of my way, i have some trails to blaze
And watch out for my roost

flyingdutchman177 screwed with this post 02-11-2014 at 07:12 PM
Old 02-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #5811
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post

So hippies......enjoy your mushroom trips
And Party people......happy hangover

Now out of my way, i have some trails to blaze
And watch out for my roost

Good analogy between the two. With age comes wisdom. Neither of them may hear the clock ticking now. But later down the road, you realize the meter is running.

Good set up on the bike. If you make it up to the Northwest I'll get you a beer or ten and hear the rest of the Thai story....
Old 02-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #5812
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
Good analogy between the two. With age comes wisdom. Neither of them may hear the clock ticking now. But later down the road, you realize the meter is running.

Good set up on the bike. If you make it up to the Northwest I'll get you a beer or ten and hear the rest of the Thai story....
Actually, it is sad to consider that these hippies and kid backpackers will have still experienced more than 99% of the people in this world

The two extremes are that many people never leave their village
Or if they do, their sense of adventure is ordering a drink at a bar with a blue umbrella in it instead of a green one.

And i am not complaing at all. If everyone were more like me, the trails i have been exploring would resemble the 405 freeway at rush hour and not the green jungles that i have come to enjoy
Old 02-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #5813
XTWalt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
"Now out of my way, i have some trails to blaze
And watch out for my roost"

You really have a way with words Lalo. I can't tell you have much I enjoy reading your daily dose of wisdom.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #5814
Rodsbike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
You giving me some cold turkey. 3 days and no post. Come now, fight fair Lalo.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #5815
Mittens001
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Wow....amazing RR!!!

On the advice of a good friend of mine I started reading your blog/RR earlier this week, and couldn't put it down. Amazing trip and amazing write up. I can never seem to actually take the time to stop and take the pics when I'm out, good on ya for documenting your trip for yourself, and for us.

I have a couple questions though...I must have missed it, but where does the name 'Lalo' come from? And the far away pics on the tall cliffs, I think one was called 'pulpit rock' or something....the timer on your camera can't be long enough to cover that ground!

Ride safe brother!
Old 02-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #5816
Beer
950 SE

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsbike View Post
He's set up his own hareem

http://950superenduro.com
Old 02-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #5817
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsbike View Post
The internet and wifi have been horrible in this part of the world. Right now I am on a small island floating in the middle of the Mekong River in southern Laos. It is called Don Det.
I havem spent the last couple of days relaxing in a hammock and tyrying to solve a little financial issue I am having. It is actually kind of a big problem but this has been a good place to figure it all out. But the internet is so SLOW and the printer here on the island is out of toner.
Sorry to keep you hanging.
I have some really cool stories to report on and some nice pictures to post.
Hang in there. I am heading to Cambodia soon.
Hopefully there will be some improvements in my situation there
Old 02-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #5818
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittens001 View Post
On the advice of a good friend of mine I started reading your blog/RR earlier this week, and couldn't put it down. Amazing trip and amazing write up. I can never seem to actually take the time to stop and take the pics when I'm out, good on ya for documenting your trip for yourself, and for us.

I have a couple questions though...I must have missed it, but where does the name 'Lalo' come from? And the far away pics on the tall cliffs, I think one was called 'pulpit rock' or something....the timer on your camera can't be long enough to cover that ground!

Ride safe brother!
Lalo is the nickname for Eduardo in Central America. I kind of picked it up as a nickname and just decided to roll with it.
And yes, sometimes I have to ask people to take my piocture but 80 percent of the time, I do it with my timer. It is a safer bet that way
Welcome along for the ride
Old 02-15-2014, 10:48 PM   #5819
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Welcome to the Don Det Grand Prix

Don Det is this tiny island in the middle of the Mekong River in Southern Laos
It is actually quite beautiful

It was a little bit of an effort to get my bike here but I am glad I did. There is a walking trail around theisland right along thewater in many places. For me, it has been a cool single track that I have been using as my race course.
I stripped off all the bags on my bike and just let her rip. And guess what........that little 250 can rip. I am backing her in to corners. power slidding out of the turns and lifting the front wheel off the ground on the inclines. It is so much fun. And I have not forgotten how to push a bike hard like I do on my Baja trips.
But the down side is I am pissing off all the hippies here. One group of hippies flagged me down and said.........."your buddy is going way too fast" It seems they thought I was the second rider because it was inconceivable that I had just completed a full lap of the island and was going for another. They told me that I was riding wrecklessly and that I was going to hurt someone. I was making too much noise. And then there was the dust I was kicking up. The hippies siad my friend was going so fast that he was standing up the whole time..........I almost busted up laughing on that one.
I said I was sorry for "my friend" and I assured them that I was riding very slow and careful.
I rode off slowly and then pinned it when they were out of sight.\
Sorry hippies

So if you ever get down this way, be sure to get your bike over to the island and put in some hot laps. Just don't over cook it otherwise you will going in to the river or wind up taking out someones front porch/
Oh, and of course you won't have any hippy friends here as well.
I say it as a small price to pay.......in fact, I kind of enjoyed taking the smile off their space face.

Pictures to come
Old 02-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #5820
Mittens001
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
Lalo is the nickname for Eduardo in Central America. I kind of picked it up as a nickname and just decided to roll with it.
And yes, sometimes I have to ask people to take my piocture but 80 percent of the time, I do it with my timer. It is a safer bet that way
Welcome along for the ride
In the interim I actually figured it out...the name that is. If you google 'Lalo' the first thing that comes up is for Edouard Lalo.

I guess coming from the timid land of the US it's tough to trust someone with your camera a 100+ yards away without them taking off with it.

I've totally enjoyed your RR....funny how that has two basically same meanings.
Closed Thread