Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #6001
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtna View Post
Are we sure it wasn't karma for the peepee on P.P.?
That guy deserved worse than just a tinkle on his pyre, no? Bizarre that some go there to honor him. Guess I don't know the story that well. What redeeming qualities did he have? How many millions mass murdered in Cambodia?
Somewhere between 1.7 million and 6 million... no-one really knows... but a couple of million is the commonly used number.

There's still a level of support for his views in that part of Cambodia. Interestingly, all the mileage indicators leading to that town (its near Anlong Venh) that mention AV (they rotate the towns, AV comes up about every 4th kilometre)... are kicked over.

We (I was with two mates) didn't go there to "honor him"... speaking for myself, I went there to understand his ability to distort society so much a bit better.

I've been to Cambodia 3 times now, twice on bikes into the back blocks... and have some very good Cambodian friends. Its worth noting that Cambodians generally do not like talking about the Pol Pot era. Almost all wars allow people to "blame" someone... and they can move on. In Cambodia, no-one knows how the hell that whole Khmer Rouge thing happened. They can't blame the Vietnamese, the Thais, the Americans.... its something they did to themselves.

Almost universally they say "that's the past. Things are better now" ... and they have optimism for the future. They still have major concerns about corruption, etc... but that's another story.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #6002
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittens001 View Post
Absolutely ridiculous....the pic seemed like more of a cautionary tale than anything else, and if anyone found it disturbing...good. It should be shown to every jack*ss riding around on sport bikes in nothing but shorts and flipflops.
AHEM!

That bit of brainlessness is not limited to sport bikes.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #6003
Bytheriver
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Magic in the world

Hi Lalo, I just read the recent posts from bewildered fans who are awaiting your next post. It was lovely sharing dinner with you the other evening and as I trekked through the jungle yesterday I thought about your theory that selfless acts of kindness are only manifestations of the individuals desire to do what makes them feel good. Although I agree that acts of kindness often give joy to the giver and the receiver, I challenge your theory.
I wonder if your point of view might give you a skewed view of humanity and hold you back from receiving the full force of all the wonders this life has to offer.
In my opinion, people who commit random or sustained acts of generosity or kindness, do so because they genuinely feel they want to counteract the injustice, and will not close their eyes and heart to the suffering they see. They are compelled to act or risk loosing an essential part of who they are. That they (for example Mother Thresa) find joy and fullfillment in their work does not diminish the sacrifice they made, or show a selfish motivation.
You implied your good deeds are motivated by a wish for good karma. I would say, every good deed helps humanity to rise out of the our dark ages and embrace a better future in a context of bounty and love.
By the way if you have found this tiresome I will understand if you do not accept my cheeky, forward proposal to join you in Africa.
Lastly please don't reject the possibility of magic in the world.
Your acquaintance from Saen Monouram, Mondulkiri, Eilis
Old 03-04-2014, 05:35 AM   #6004
ta-rider
Banned

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumatae View Post
read 400 pages worth in one sitting! please lift the ban!!!
Haha well i knew i was doing something wrong. Usualy i pay people if they create content for my page...i shoud just ban them afterwards and keep the money
Old 03-04-2014, 06:49 AM   #6005
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemadad View Post
FlyingDutchman177 sometimes pushes the limits in all sorts of areas - when you do that you have to be prepared to sometimes stray across that line occasionally and suffer the consequences. Not a big deal and is part of the appeal of his story.
+1 I hope he is back to posting soon. I can see both sides. Moderators have a tough job and aren't getting paid for this. Lalo pushes the limits like most of us would like to, but don't have the guts.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me

poppawheelie screwed with this post 03-04-2014 at 08:21 AM
Old 03-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #6006
mary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Banned for what!?!

I have been following this blog since Alaska! Is the best adventure I have seen.

If I can handle all the posts as an adult chick then what light weight cannot?

Boooooooo!

Bring back the Flying Dutchman!!!!!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #6007
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
banned

he got banned for making a political statement ..... this seems to be the flavour of the week around here ....

Old 03-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #6008
mary
Adventurer

'tis ashamed that the biggest draw to this site with the most followers would get banned. Somebody needs a head butt.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:57 AM   #6009
reg71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
could someone just message me when Ed gets back? I have no need to visit ADV until then.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #6010
mary
Adventurer

I'll pop in from time to time and check. If he doesn't get back, I won't be following ADV anymore either. I'll let you know IF it doesn't take too long.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #6011
hellboy7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Where are the updates! :( ADV rider needs ed hahaha
Old 03-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #6012
Hellion
getlostboy

Oddometer: 7
enough

Enough of this ban already! And no admin comes on to explain himself? I too come here mostly for Lalo, Noah, and Colebatch. If this board is going to treat us like children then it can do it without me (no big loss, I know). I'll be checking in to see if this nonsense is resolved or at least explained, but if it isn't I'm sure I won't be the only one leaving the room.....
Old 03-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #6013
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Laugh Be patient

Ed will be back soon. He will be bore at night if he is not busy with all the Chica and
Old 03-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #6014
mary
Adventurer

If Ed moves his blog, I want to know!!

Please, if anyone hears of ED moving his blog to another site, please let me know?!?

Old 03-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #6015
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
...I too come here mostly for Lalo, Noah, and Colebatch...
i come here for the free beers and hot chicks! maybe you're in the wrong room?

jk, Lalo will be back and more controversial than ever!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
Closed Thread