User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #6766
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,408
Other than a couple of people that worked at the vistor center, i think i was the only one in the entire park. And i was certainly the only one in the camp ground up the road.
As i was laying there in my tent, i thought about how many people would be scared and be too afraid to do this.
It was a moonless night. It was very dark out. There was lightning flashes all around. It looked like it was going to rain so i put my rain fly over my tent. I also had to get in my tent early because there were so many bugs out. Not mosquios, moths.......the kind that fly in to your face, mouth and nose. There were signs in the park mentioning that there were tigers there. And the greatest concentration of wild elephants in thailand are in the area near the Burmese border.
Was i scared? Of course not and i soon feel asleep.
But at 3:30 in the morning, i was awoken by some jungle sounds coming from just outside my tent. There were certainly animals out there but not really sure what kinds. It was dark plus i had the rain fly on so i couldn't see outside. I could hear and feel foot steps near by, kind of like that movie Jurasic Park. My heart began to beat a bit faster as i could hear the foot steps getting closer. And then i heard this sound which i could only describe as the sound of a garbage truck falling to the ground after being thrown off the top of the Empire State Building. Now my heart was racing and i have to admit it was a bit scary. I was still not sure what was going on outside my tent. Do i stick my head out and shine my flashlight out there in the darkness?
Or do i just sit there quietly while i am trampled by a heard of elephants or eaten alive by a tiger. These were the thoughts going through my head.
I just sat there and listened to all the noises going on outside my tent.
Well, after about 15 minutes, all the noises went away and it was quiet again.
And i soon feel back to sleep.
It is funny the pictures that are fabricated in your mind when you have nothing but you thoughts and other senses to put together the picture.
For all i know, it was probably just squirrels

flyingdutchman177 screwed with this post 05-02-2014 at 06:38 PM
Old 05-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #6767
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Eh?

Must be Thai wine
Old 05-02-2014, 08:09 PM   #6768
rossphoto
GDTRFB

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
Other than a couple of people that worked at the vistor center, i think i was the only one in the entire park. And i was certainly the only one in the camp ground up the road.
As i was laying there in my tent, i thought about how many people would be scared and be too afraid to do this.
It was a moonless night. It was very dark out. There was lightning flashes all around. It looked like it was going to rain so i put my rain fly over my tent. I also had to get in my tent early because there were so many bugs out. Not mosquios, moths.......the kind that fly in to your face, mouth and nose. There were signs in the park mentioning that there were tigers there. And the greatest concentration of wild elephants in thailand are in the area near the Burmese border.
But at 3:30 in the morning, i was awoken by some jungle sounds coming from just outside my tent. There were certainly animals out there but not really sure what kinds. It was dark plus i had the rain fly on so i couldn't see outside. I could hear and feel foot steps near by, kind of like that movie Jurasic Park. My heart began to beat a bit faster as i could hear the foot steps getting closer. And then i heard this sound which i could only describe as the sound of a garbage truck falling to the ground after being thrown off the top of the Empire State Building. Now my heart was racing and i have to admit it was a bit scary. I was still not sure what was going on outside my tent. Do i stick my head out and shine my flashlight out there in the darkness?
Or do i just sit there quietly while i am trampled by a heard of elephants or eaten alive by a tiger. These were the thoughts going through my head.
It is funny the pictures that are fabricated in your mind when you have nothing but you thoughts and other senses to put together the picture.

Holy Shit Ed!!!!!!!! I'm sweating reading this post. I'm so glad you posted this just now. Before I tell you why let me tell you I'm from KY and its Derby eve (not that I really care) and I just puffed a joint and been drinking Mint Julips with friends for hours, so if i dont make sense sorry. I consider myself a bad ass traveler having been to 60 or so countries mostly on moto or in my 1971 VW Beetle and as bad ass as I try to act, I always plan to camp and I usually get hotels, cheap and dodgy as they get but still hotels. and I've certainly had similar scares in such hotels (machine gun shoot out in Guatemala, outside my room for example) but I still wuss out and get some kind of cover . I always plan to camp and don't because of the absurd games my mind plays on me... I'm planning a RTW and MUST camp more than I hotel it for it to really work. Until it becomes second nature really camping is so hard... AND you are right, most people wouldn't even consider doing what you are doing much less staying there and falling back asleep. You're a fucking bad ass

rossphoto screwed with this post 05-03-2014 at 05:11 AM
Old 05-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #6769
poppawheelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Another great Lalo experience!
Man, this is better than reality TV.
It's for real for real.
Go Lalo! We're all watching.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
Old 05-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #6770
Hunter-Douglas
rube

Oddometer: 337
Quote:

Thanks for putting things in perspective Lalo. I nearly crapped my pants hearing a moose crash its way around my camp last night.

Can't imagine what this experience would have been like!
Old 05-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #6771
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
Quote:

Most likely culprits are monkeys... noisy buggers. Make some big crashing noises at times.

Elephants are a pain in the arse. A three day old baby elephant knocked a woman over the same day that this four year old prick tried to kill me

He tried to spear me with his tusk... in the thigh, but I got it clear in time (bruised though)... and he tossed the bike and me 10 feet.

This is what a 4 year old, two ton elephant does when its trying to kill you. I'm told that it shoul have succeeded...

If you had wild elephants around.... you'll have plenty of evidence. A wild mob came through where I was birdwatcing in Sumatra

The footprints are damn near 2" deep.... and the turds are still steamin'

Incidentally, the only wild tiger I've seen was just near there... at night. Big bright eyes.... very bright... low to the ground.... and then my damn guide stopped the car a kilometre down the road and said "birds here"... and off we went into the jungle. He wasn't in the slightest worried... "they not eat anyone here".

Saw some tracks of the big pussies in the middle parts of Malaysia too...

Hey Ed.... when do you expect to make Chiang Mai? I'm just heading into Laos, later today... I'm at Tony's Place (Rider's Corner, Nan) now... Tony says hi btw... but I'll be back around mid May. See you then if you are still in town

The Bigfella screwed with this post 05-03-2014 at 08:04 PM
Old 05-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #6772
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Ed.... when do you expect to make Chiang Mai? I'm just heading into Laos, later today... I'm at Tony's Place (Rider's Corner, Nan) now... Tony says hi btw... but I'll be back around mid May. See you then if you are still in town _

I just rolled in to Chiang Mai
I am looking for a place to store my bike then going to fly back to So Cal in a few days
Say hi to Tony for me
:-)
Old 05-04-2014, 04:16 AM   #6773
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Burma

I spent the night in a hotel in Mae Sot. It is a border town on the border with Burma.
I went to the official border crossing which is a bridge over a small river. And then i followed the river down stream a few km to the not so official border crossing. The were lots of boats lined up along side the river and people were busy loading up little boats with stuff, floating it across the river and then unloading the stuff and putting it on a truck. It was kind of a free trade zone if you will.
The Thai - Myanmar border is large and probably difficult to patrol.
I saw people just wading across the river to make an unofficial border crossing.
As i was leaving, i followed two trucks that looked like it was something for animal control in the US. But it was the Thai border control guys with about 30 people crammed in to the cage in the back of the small truck. It looked like something the Nazis or Khmer Rouge used to transport prisoners.
And sorry, i don't have pictures of this because i left my camera phone thing back at the hotel.

I followed the border north on the road that runs along side the border and there were a lot of places like this one could cross with a small raft. Getting in to Myanmar is looking a lot easier now

Old 05-04-2014, 04:25 AM   #6774
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Along the border road, i came across a few of these villages.
I suspect they are Burmese refugees.
They sought safety by fleeing across the border but they are now stuck in no mans land.
Because the Thais have set up road blocks on each side of the village to keep the contained in this small area.
Political prisoners outside their own country. Now that Myanmar is changing, i wonder if they will go back one day

Old 05-04-2014, 04:34 AM   #6775
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

About 50 miles north of Mae Sot along side the Burmese border in Thailand, i came across a sign that said Safe Haven Orphanage. It was pretty much in the middle of nowhere. I decided to stop in and say hi to the kids.
They have about 50 kids there. All kids from Thailand, not Burmese refugees.

I told the resident director and housemother, Tasanee Keereepraneed that would post her web site link on my blog in case anyone would like to contact her.

www.SafeHavenOrphanage.org

Here's one of my new favorite photos

Old 05-04-2014, 04:34 AM   #6776
rossphoto
GDTRFB

are you leaving Thailand without an exit stamp? how does that work getting intoo out of another country? My loose plan now, is overland from thailand to Burma on into India. If I happened to get into and out of Burma without stamps (is that big hassle or trouble) and without an exit stamp from Thailand would I even be able to get into india?
Old 05-04-2014, 04:45 AM   #6777
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossphoto View Post
are you leaving Thailand without an exit stamp? how does that work getting intoo out of another country? My loose plan now, is overland from thailand to Burma on into India. If I happened to get into and out of Burma without stamps (is that big hassle or trouble) and without an exit stamp from Thailand would I even be able to get into india?
I never crossed in to Burma..... at least this past week
I just explored my possibilities
If i did cross illegally, i would have to cross back the same way.
You will need those exit stamps to do the right way.
Do your homework - crossing Burma is difficult but possible
And you will need a carnet and cash to get your bike in to India
And lots of luck
Old 05-04-2014, 05:06 AM   #6778
rossphoto
GDTRFB

Quote:
I never crossed in to Burma..... at least this past week
I just explored my possibilities
If i did cross illegally, i would have to cross back the same way.
You will need those exit stamps to do the right way.
Do your homework - crossing Burma is difficult but possible
And you will need a carnet and cash to get your bike in to India
And lots of luck

Cash and luck and karma. I think I'm good on the Luck and Karma so far... I definitely have lots of homework to do...
Thanks
Old 05-04-2014, 05:59 AM   #6779
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Last night was going to be my last night camping for a while.
Right now i am in Chiang Mai at Rider's Corner.

I have a flight home in a few days.

And since it was going to be my last night camping in SE Asia, i had to find a good hut to sleep in...........and i think this one qualifies.

I had to go thru a copy of closed gates to get to it, but WOW......what a view.
And no lights at night in sight.
And not a sound either
I slept without my tent just as the farmers do i guess

flyingdutchman177 screwed with this post 05-04-2014 at 06:27 AM
Old 05-04-2014, 06:00 AM   #6780
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

My hotel room with just a few bugs.........not too bad

Closed Thread