Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:16 AM   #7291
G-Mac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mac View Post
Yes yes we are still controlled by big brutha. But aren't we all? ?
The good news is our version of your corner liquor store is the LCBO and they have it. So tomorrow I'm heading over to get a taste of the good stuff.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Found it. Hope it likes the little brother GS and a half Dutchman. The other half is Scottish so it was a little hard spending the money on premium beer.
Trying one while watching Holland Chile match. Hup Hup Holland.Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1403540178527.jpg
Views: 2278
Size:  54.9 KB

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
2002 XR250R Dirty Girl so fun to ride
1997 KLR 650 miss the old girl. Never washed!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #7292
robertd440
Adventurer

Oddometer: 9
Just spent the last few months catching up on this RR on my breaks at work. Amazing stuff Lalo keep it up! This is seriously the stuff movies are made from. I'll be doing some trips soon and SA is on my list big time. This RR just made it more of a priority! If you need any help when you get to Malta let me know. My whole family lives there. Not sure if they can help with lodging but I'm sure my sister would be more than happy to show you around.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #7293
rlkefauver
kefakruiser

Oddometer: 94
A Keeper

Tam- What an awesome update. You are a keeper! Even with all of Lalo's B.S. you are still able to see the diamond in the rough. Ed, you found a good one here. Hurry up with that fishing trip and sign me up for the inner blog, I could probably fund a good day or two of the EdVennture!!

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamaralunar View Post
Yeah, ok.
No beating about the bush here, I thought Ed was a bit of a douche when we first met!
My brother, his bonkers Cambodian family and I were on a roadtrip and were buzzing after seeing some wild Irrawaddy river dolphins in the Mekong, (I nearly touched one) when this dude in crazy orange sunglasses walks over and asks if it was any good. I instantly start raving how great it was, how beautiful and rare they are and that he should do it, 100%, it's amazing! To that all he did was shrug, uninterestedly say 'We have loads of dolphins in California' and buggered off on his motorbike into the sunset.
All my enthusiasm totally wasted.
The following day, we accidentally met again, on Koh Trong, the bicycle island. I ask him what he thought of the dolphins (knowing full well he didn't see them, I don't know why, but he just bugged me!) and we got onto the topic of his trip. He still didn't seem very interested in what I was doing until I mentioned I was on holiday with my BROTHER and.....Hello! That got his attention :)
(The fact my bro and I look like identical twins obviously didn't give it away.) So from there we sat on the boat shooting the breeze and he gave me this blog address.
Long story short, after failing 3 times and nearly giving up (I had no idea who owned Ducati) to sign up to this forum I managed to send him a message saying we were going to be in Kampot in a week, he should come hang for a beer if he was in the locale. Turns out he was and a few days later he saunters into our hotel bar. My life completely changed that day.
He impressed me after I persuaded him to break all of his own rules ( riding after a couple beers whilst in Jesus creepers, in the rain at nighttime) to a bar in town. I guess that was our first, sort of date?
We spent the next day together then said goodbye, we were going our seperate ways, me back to SR, him to Vietnam. But before I left he casually invited me to join him in nam, I thought, f**k it, he's a total stranger who could turn out to be bat shit bananas, but why not?!
And the rest they say, is history :)
Just wana say the moment I knew I liked Ed was when he told me about the time he hid a banana down his pants whilst working at baskin n Robbins, I knew then he was a keeper
There is more but I'll leave it for now.
2007 Yamaha XT225 for everything else- Sold
Old 06-24-2014, 12:20 AM   #7294
lex491
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossphoto View Post
Excellent??? Why is it excellent that a company won't sponsor a guy whose been out riding the world for two years??? What the hell are you talking about? I hardly think Ed is scamming for freebies and I'm certain if a tire company gave him a few tires your prices wouldn't be affected. Lighten up bigfella
That's just a friend teasing a friend. He wasn't being serious.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:52 AM   #7295
rossphoto
GDTRFB

Oddometer: 592
Ha ok cool... Was feeling a little protective of Ed. Been attached to this RR for too long. Lol
Old 06-24-2014, 04:01 AM   #7296
Cloud
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough ride View Post
I hear you, but some people get to read blogs on a digital device and even make unsuitable rubbish comments when others are unable to do so. This system should and must change.

Solution sell your device and with the proceeds by as many shoes as u can and......everyone can be happy.
Dude you did not understand
I just sell my computer if you have the solution

And you? Will you sell your bike?
Your solution is actually the problem itself.
Keep it up ha? Shame.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:07 AM   #7297
Cloud
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
For the past two years, you guys have been sitting behind a computer in some climate controlled office slacking off reading my blog and my adventures with envy..........now I am jealous of you.
It is freezing here. Kind of like San Francisco foggy weather but 20 degrees colder. And i just checked the weather for the week and it calls for rain all week.
Tell your kids to go to college and get a comfy office job so they can read all about what it is like up here working on the stage of the Worlds deadliest catch
You did'nt understand me too dude or you did but knowing that you are doing.
Do you know exactly what I mean. Your solve is the easy way.
I'm talking about the system, you can blame me, that's the easy way.

Go away, ride away but you don't philosophy ha? because it doesn't.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:13 AM   #7298
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,531
Two sides to the story. This will be great. .
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #7299
PoppingSmoke
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Great read so far Lalo! Keep it up, if you ever make it to the Northeast let me know and we'll have some Chimay.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #7300
rlkefauver
kefakruiser

Oddometer: 94
Alaska 7.9 Earthquake!!

Anywhere near this? We were in Hawaii about 8 years ago when Kauai was having tsunami warnings. We were scheduled for a Deep Sea Fishing trip and were thinking of cancelling. When we got to the boat, we asked the crew about the tsunami and they said no problem, you are on a boat. You go up and you go down, no problem.
We also had 2 policemen on the fishing trip. When we caught an Ono (aka Waahoo in Mexico), the crewman said "everyone back up, this one has teeth and will tear you up." Then he proceeded to grab a 24 ounce tee ball bat, raised it up over his head and proceeded to pound the Ono yelling "Rodney King, Rodney King!" Needless to say, it didn't go over too well with the cops, but they shrugged it off and enjoyed the trip anyway.
When we got back to the shore the wave surge went into the harbor master's office and soaked the desk and chairs about a feet deep.
2007 Yamaha XT225 for everything else- Sold
Old 06-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #7301
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,649
what the hell is the Inner Circle anyway

So "the big guys" seem to disagree. That's ok. As someone pointed out earlier: there's the right way, the wrong way and my way of doing things. Since the first two options seem to be up for continuous debate, I am just going with the latter.

I think everyone here understands why I am on my around the world motorcycle trip. And if you don't, then I suppose you have been surfing the wrong website.
But what's my motivation for blogging about? My reason is probably the same reason as anyone else here doing their own Ride Report even though they might not admit to it.
It's for Recognition, Acceptence and Ego.
And through recognition, I hope to capitalize on it in some capacity as well. Maybe get a job out of it when i am done perhaps.
When i started my RR, my intentions were never to ask for donations from individuals and to date, i have not accepted any money from anyone (except for some random guy in Finland who stuffed a five dollar bill in my hand because he felt sorry for me when i was standing out in the rain like a wet dog) dispite having several offers in the past from inmates. But i did mention that i would like to get some corporate sponsorship one day. And whether you like it or not, in our free market society, advertising and marketing is how the corporate world promotes their products. And if you don't like it, I think North Korea is your last remaining option to escape it. And for me, giving away some garb to an around the world traveler to test and post photos on his well read blog is dollar for dollar better advertising than running a full page ad in a motorcycle magazine or many other forms of advertising and marketing. Just my two bits.

Now that it appears the corporate world has turned a blind eye to me, i am looking for other ways to fund the rest of my trip........like working the World's Edliest Catch at $150 a day. But two months fishing here in Alaska will only take me so far. I also have a car that i plan to sell to the highest bidder when i get back home to help fund the remainder of my trip. But i still need more.
Just a few short years ago, i was flying high but I had no time to travel the world. Working and making money was my priority. Then the real estate market crashed and i got divorced. Those two events pretty much wiped $650,000 off my bottom line in both cash and real estate equity. After most of the pieces crumbled around me, i scraped up what i had left, bought the BMW, and traveled the world on two wheels (and two cruise ships and a few airplanes) for two years. It was quite the ride and it has all been documented here on AdvRider for your entertainment. Fast forward to the present day, when i said i walked on to this fishing boat here in Alaska with $5 in my pocket, i was not joking. It was all of the cash i had left in this world (plus another $30 in my savings account i think). The visissitudes (look it up) i have encountered have been pretty extreme these past few years, but no regrets.
Some have told me that it will be a bad idea to ask for donations. But I am really not asking. I am just going to set my hat out there and see what happens.
With almost two million views, i have maybe a few thousand followers. Many i consider my friends. Many are just friends i haven't met or got to know yet. But there are also a few out there following that i feel would like to see me crash and burn. For this reason, my inner circle will be for my "friends" only. Those who are non-supportive or have sent negative vibes my way will not be allowed in. It is just that simple. And charging an admission price will be an easy way to identify my friends from foes. But everyone will still be able to view, enjoy and comment on my AdvRider Ride Report whether you are supportive or not. And i guess that goes with the territory on a free-to-users website.
How will I restrict access? At this moment, i am thinking i will probably set up a ride related facebook account - Lalo's Inner Circle. I will ask for a donation thru Facebook to be made via PayPal. I will then match the name on the PayPal account with the Facebook friend request to make sure it is one and the same and not a clandestine attempt by a disgruntled ex-girl friend or a AdvRider inmate jerk trying to sneak in. If all checks out, i will accept their friend request and they will be in my Inner Circle and Circle of Trust. If someone doesn't have a facebook account, i can send them some initial stories, messages and pictures via private e mail.
As noted, my RR has been very candid (borderline TMI). If you are getting what you want out of my AdvRider RR, then i will not expect to see you on the Inside. And if you so choose to be in my Circle of Trust, don't expect anything so enlightning to be published like the meaning of life or proof of cold fusion. Some of my untold stories are enlightning and may be of interest to some but i want the primary reason for you to be in my inner circle is because i want you to want to give to me your support for the next chapter. Anything received in return will be just an incidental added bonus. I promise there will not be any extravigant cruises or all inclusive resorts coming up for me. All that silliness was done on my dime earlier.
My fear has been that by creating a separate, smaller and more intimate ride report for my Inner Circle, I was afraid that i would alienate a larger group of followers choosing not to contribute. I know money is tight for everyone these days, so no worries if you don't want the inside scoop. But i figure.......nothing lost - nothing gained. I have not made one nickle from my 500 pages on my RR despite the hundreds of hours that i have spent on it nor have i asked for anything in return. In fact, it has cost me money. Those thousands of pictures i have posted have to be maintained every month though my photobucket account. So even if i alienate and lose 99% percent of my followers here on AdvRider, I would gladly trade that knowing I have the core 1% behind me that are supportive and happy for what I have achieved and want to see me continue without crashing and burning.
Ok, enough said. Please do not respond to this message. If you have something to tell me that might help me achieve my goals, feel free to send me a private message. If you want to throw me under the bus, then i kindly ask that you go away and take your negative comments elsewhere.
I am heading back out to sea again now
I will check in again when I can and i have no idea when that will be.
Look for my Facebook Inner Circle Link soon
Now back to your regularly sceduled program already in progress - The Edlist Catch followed by the season premier of Around the World in 800+ days - the Ed•Venn•ture chapter
Old 06-25-2014, 02:02 PM   #7302
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,357
About bloody time!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #7303
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,357
Count me in
Old 06-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #7304
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 496
Ok where's the dotted line?
Old 06-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #7305
BoulderKevin
Lucky to live in Colorado

Oddometer: 386
I'm back at page 371...

and this is such a great picture, but what really caught my eye was the can of Cruzcampo. If you only knew how much of that beer I drank when I was stationed in Southern Spain as a kid! Nothing special about it, but fond memories. Anyway, back to page 371 so I don't catch any spoilers.

Thanks for the wonderful RR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I flew with Kathe on her 767 back to Lima
The flight was at 12:30 am on my birthday
So with the time change, my birthday was actually 31 hours long.
Shortly after the plane took off, i was called back to the back galley where Kathe and the girls sang happy birthday to me. They also gave me a glass of wine and some cake.
I am going to sound like a brat, but that is all i got flying at 37,000 feet