ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #1081
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: home - but not for long
Oddometer: 4,410
Santa Teresa

Right now I am staying at a hostel in Santa Teresa. It is very near Mal Pais here in Costa Rica. These little towns along the coast are full of surfers from all around the world. They look like surfers and many of them are. But most of them are just bums who like living on the beach and partying every night. Last night in my tent, people were loud and the party seemed like it just wouldn't stop. I woke up at one point and the sun was just coming up. And some people were just winding down for the night. Annoying! But I was so tired, it almost didn't matter.
flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #1082
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: home - but not for long
Oddometer: 4,410
Other world travelers I have met along the way

Here is a couple that I met in Liberia Costa Rica. They were from Czech Republic. They drove their car thru Asia. Shipped it to Los Angeles, then drove up to Alaska. Then down thru the Americas. I loved the map on the hood.

flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #1083
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: home - but not for long
Oddometer: 4,410
Other world travelers I have met along the way

Here is a couple that I met that have traveled for 3 years on a 200 cc motorcycle thru the Americas. That's right.......200 cc's. Two up! They were from Argentina. It made my 1200 cc bike seem like over-kill.......typical American style

flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #1084
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: home - but not for long
Oddometer: 4,410
More world travelers

Here's a couple traveling from Vancouver Canada to Panama and back in a 1967 VW van. The guy had some cool features rigged in the van like solar lighting, ice maker for cocktails and a sink.

flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #1085
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: home - but not for long
Oddometer: 4,410
More world travelers

Here is a couple that I met in Belize. They flew in and rented this 200 cc Chinese made dirt bike. The first night they stayed on the beach in a cheap hostel. They were taking the bike back to this fancy resort in the mountains. I am not too sure if they made it or not. It rained all night and the road was very slippery. I tried to head back that way and turned around. I would love to hear from them to see if they made it ok. I am sure it was an adventure. And BTW, they were on their honeymoon.

flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #1086
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: home - but not for long
Oddometer: 4,410
World travelers

I have met lots of other people traveling the world. They have kind of taking a step back or a step out from the world to see the world. Go back and look at these pictures. Do you notice anything similar in each? Look at the big smiles on their faces. That should say it all.
But then again, they are all traveling together. It is tougher to do it by yourself.
flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #1087
Madmedic
Moto GP rules
 
Madmedic's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Santa Maria
Oddometer: 109
Just got caught up with your report. Very well done, I like all the self portraits in different places. A lot of reports don't include them, I like to document myself in my adventures too, makes the adventure more real when you look back on it. Keep it up, I am following along.
Madmedic is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #1088
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: home - but not for long
Oddometer: 4,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmedic View Post
Just got caught up with your report. Very well done, I like all the self portraits in different places. A lot of reports don't include them, I like to document myself in my adventures too, makes the adventure more real when you look back on it. Keep it up, I am following along.
Yeh, I get tired of taking pictures of just my motorcycle.
This blog is my diary that I am sharing with others
Thanks for the kind words
flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #1089
Hellracer.nl
What the hack???
 
Hellracer.nl's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Netherlands
Oddometer: 287
Great report!
I really like the big difference in luxury and back to basic approach of your trip.
As me being a Dutchman, your forum-alias makes me wonder: Are you Dutch or related to Holland?

Have a good trip!
__________________
To beer or not to beer, that's no question.


My Leaner build: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836987
Hellracer.nl is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #1090
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: home - but not for long
Oddometer: 4,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellracer.nl View Post
Great report!
I really like the big difference in luxury and back to basic approach of your trip.
As me being a Dutchman, your forum-alias makes me wonder: Are you Dutch or related to Holland?

Have a good trip!
Not Dutch
I got the name from the opera with the same name by Richard Wagner.
The Flying Dutchman is the name of my bike. I am merely its captain.
flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #1091
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Oddometer: 1,735
Ed,
Just SAY you're Dutch... 'Cause if it ain't Dutch, it ain't much...!
hankgs is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #1092
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: home - but not for long
Oddometer: 4,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs View Post
Ed,
Just SAY you're Dutch... 'Cause if it ain't Dutch, it ain't much...!
Ok then.........I am Dutch
But if you knew the story of The Dutchman, perhaps you would understand
flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #1093
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: home - but not for long
Oddometer: 4,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
Not Dutch
I got the name from the opera with the same name by Richard Wagner.
The Flying Dutchman is the name of my bike. I am merely its captain.
One million bonus points if anyone can guess where the '177' comes from
flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #1094
gatogato
Studly Adventurer
 
gatogato's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Des Moines, IA
Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
Patagonia will have to wait. But I will see it one day......just not this year
Don't worry about missing the ride down to Patagonia. The Southern half of Argentina is like driving through Nebraska on I-80 except instead of 1 day it takes 6-7. The weather is really hit or miss to get down there also. I had a rain cloud that followed me the whole way down and made the ride down there a hellish experience.

The last couple hundred miles is really gorgeous, but to have done my trip over again I would have just flown down to Ushuaia, hiked a few days around there and taken the bus to El Calafate for a couple of nights there also. The cost of doing this would be much less than the expensive gas bills that you will rack up to get down there. Also, if anything breaks while you are on your way down there you are utterly screwed.
__________________
Motorcycle Accessories Business:
www.journeyrider.com
Central and South America (09/07-05/08)!
http://www.journeyrider.net
gatogato is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #1095
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: home - but not for long
Oddometer: 4,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatogato View Post
Don't worry about missing the ride down to Patagonia. The Southern half of Argentina is like driving through Nebraska on I-80 except instead of 1 day it takes 6-7. The weather is really hit or miss to get down there also. I had a rain cloud that followed me the whole way down and made the ride down there a hellish experience.

The last couple hundred miles is really gorgeous, but to have done my trip over again I would have just flown down to Ushuaia, hiked a few days around there and taken the bus to El Calafate for a couple of nights there also. The cost of doing this would be much less than the expensive gas bills that you will rack up to get down there. Also, if anything breaks while you are on your way down there you are utterly screwed.
Good to know
Thanks
That makes me feel better
I have driven thru Nebraska and let's just say it wasn't memorable.
But I still want to do it one day
It's a bucket list thing.
Kind of like riding to Prudhoe Bay.
I am glad I did it but I will not be rushing back there any time soon
flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Closed Thread

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014