User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:47 AM   #1351
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,408
From the Touratech catalog. Here are some protector bits to protect the fragile fuel injection pieces.
I have seen some other bike with every part in Touratech's catalog on them. These bikes look stupid and are over kill. I got just what I though I needed. And everything Touratech does it the best. Their engineering is amazing. The GPS mount is a work of art.
But they are expensive like jewelry

Old 02-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #1352
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I added the lower crash bars around the engine. The stock ones just don't cut it in case of a tip over or worse. These do a great job protecting the engine as they wrap all the way around the cylinders. The bike should come stock like this. I forget the name of the company. It is either Alt Rider or AS Cycle

The skid plate is from Touratech. And since I can hear it every time the bike bottoms out, I am glad I beefed up the protection on the bottom. And this skid plate is much bigger and protects the pipes, the cat and the center stand.

Also I put on the O2 sensor protectors from Touratech. I am not sure they are needed but if a rock gets kicked up in the Sahara desert and takes out a senser, I would be crying that I didn't step up and spend the money to buy them

Old 02-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #1353
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here you can see the Alt Rider head light protector. A clear lexan protector would have been a better option, but this laser cut aluminum piece just looks so bitchen! It is a work of art too. But the fasteners are a weak point. I almost lost it a few times. Now I have put some zip ties over the fasteners to keep it in place, but it is a pain in the ass to clean the headlight now as it is time consuming to remove.

You can also see the Touratech oil cooler screen which matches the look of the headlight like protector (remember what I said about matching.......LOL)

And check out my Contour video camera. My mount broke a couple of months ago during a tip over. But I found a spot and fastened it with some zip ties. I hope it doesn't get stolen there. But I get a lot of comments about it. Plus know I can take some video shots while riding with a flip of a switch. A much better option than the Go Pro

Old 02-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #1354
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

My Toutatech tank bag is waterproof and awesome. I had a hard time swallowing the price at nearly $400. But it is about the same price as a Coach purse, so I stepped up and bought it.....no regreats
I go to it all the time so I am getting my money's worth out of it. I am glad I didn't cheap out. It is molded specifically for my bike too

Old 02-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #1355
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The Heidenau K60 Scout tires have been great. I will get about 10,000 to 12,000 miles out of them. But if you go more than 10,000, the profile gets square and the bike doesn't want to turn. But even with 12,000 miles, there is still tread so if you need to continue your journey, you can without risk of going thru to the cords.
These tires shown here have about 9000 miles on them. They are getting close to being replaced.

Also check out the fancy silver wheel stripe. They really set off my black wheels are are holding up well. I got the stickers from e bay for about 6 bucks

Old 02-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #1356
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I never like the stock saddle.
I have alway had good luck with Corbin seats for most of my other bikes.
But this time I got the Sargent seat with the silver piping. I got a deal on it on ebay. It is a big improvement over the stock seat but I wonder if I would like the Corbin better. All I know is I like the looks of the Sargent better.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #1357
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

This was a last minute thought
I call my bike THe Flying Dutchman.....named after the ghost ship in the opera by Richard Wagner.
If you know the story, it is only fitting
Lots of people have commented on the name

Old 02-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #1358
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The price of freedom is not free

Everything cost money here. To see this waterfall, it cost me $3 to hike to it. It seems that everything is privately owned and you have to pay to go on to the owner's land. And even the national parks are expensive. Just bring your wallet to see the star attractions here. This was not worth the $3. I wish I would have tried to sneak in........but that would have not been good karma I guess

Old 02-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #1359
estebansos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I get in to Carigena on February 25th I believe.
I am taking the Independence, which is a 75 foot sailboat. I will give everyone a full report when I am finished with the voyage
I am not sure what my route should be thru Colombia.
Any suggestions where I should stop and what I should see and do?
I can help with your route here but let me know what your time frame would be.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #1360
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Thanks

Hi Lalo
Still follow you along.........
Thanks for the great report on the GS, safe travel and keep the RR coming.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #1361
Bynoid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
You've got your head on straighter

Lalo,
I can tell you are in a better place in your head than you have been in a couple of months. Looks like your trip is getting better all the time. Been to the canal yet?
Mike
Old 02-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #1362
MotoGypsy
Get rolling

Oddometer: 25
Super set-up of your GS Ed. I've wondered about the weight but I don't like wimpy bikes either especially when carrying a lot of weight ...

Sounds like a great plan! Agreed, why be in a hurry. Put off the office cubicle as long as possible! Like the Dutch lass's BTW. Used to date one years ago. They're sweet, cultured, and quite pretty.

Cheers,
-steve
Old 02-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #1363
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by estebansos View Post
I can help with your route here but let me know what your time frame would be.
I arrive in Cartiena and will travel for 2 to 3 Weeks beginning February 25th
I want to see as much of the natural beauty as possible such as mountains' lakes, hot springs, waterfalls ad of course the girls
Ha
Old 02-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #1364
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubalong View Post
Hi Lalo
Still follow you along.........
Thanks for the great report on the GS, safe travel and keep the RR coming.
I know you are there scubie
Old 02-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #1365
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynoid View Post
Lalo,
I can tell you are in a better place in your head than you have been in a couple of months. Looks like your trip is getting better all the time. Been to the canal yet?
Mike
Thanks
I am heading to the canal tomorrow to check it out
Lalo
Closed Thread