Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #1471
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by jachard View Post
We know you didn't take that since you are more of a boob guy anyway....

Great pictures Ed!

Mahima and I say Hi!!

Cheers, James
Bingo
And BTW.......what's new?
2012 GS????
WTF
Old 02-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #1472
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
Bingo
And BTW.......what's new?
2012 GS????
WTF
Yea, I succumbed:) Got a 2012 Rallye edition. I took it out already in some "secret" single track here in New England and it rips..

We were wondering why you didn't attempt the Darien Gap! HAHA

Hope all is well and glad you are having a great time!!

Cheers, James

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/
Old 02-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #1473
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachard View Post
Yea, I succumbed:) Got a 2012 Rallye edition. I took it out already in some "secret" single track here in New England and it rips..

We were wondering why you didn't attempt the Darien Gap! HAHA

Hope all is well and glad you are having a great time!!

Cheers, James
No problem......I will do the Darien in my back
Old 02-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #1474
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapi View Post
Nice job senior. Digging the posts homie. Keep'em coming! Especially pics of those who sell you stuff and then leave town. I just wanna know what else she sold you

Safe travels amigo!
Ha
Ask me that in a private message
I used the hammock last night on the beach here in Colombia
Its kind of small for me but I slept well
Old 02-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #1475
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuckexc View Post
Ed, your killing it! I'm so stoked for you. Did you let the Indians in on the "little" fact you shared @ Mikes last year?
-
No......it's a BIG deal
Why do you think he let me off the island?
I was twice the man he was
Old 02-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #1476
woodchuckexc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
No......it's a BIG deal
Why do you think he let me off the island?
I was twice the man he was

Lmfao. Keep up the good work sir! I look forward to sharing a drink at Mikes and hearing some of your stories first hand. Until then rubber side down home boy!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #1477
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Photobucket

I have been using photobucket to upload my pictures.
It seems that they have took all my pictures away and want to charge me to post more and let me see my old pictures again.
Not what I bargained for.
I guess I need to cough up some money to them so I can continue with my blog
Not happy
But I guess there is no such thing as a free lunch
Old 02-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #1478
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Hey Lalo

Just checking in. Loved the pictures, but oh my gosh I would have been a bit worried about those little boats taking my cycle out to sea. Great adventure. Love the photos of everyone on the boat.

I am off in a few weeks..on my own little adventure (nothing like yours though!) I am going to drive with my dog, bike, and a few things in the FJ to St Augustine, FL and spend 3.5 weeks there learning to watercolor paint. I posted on FB the story, but I met this guy when I was in Key West over a year ago November. I have been learning to draw through email and I am not going for hands on experience to learn watercolor painting.

I will see a few people along the way, explore the city, walk the beach in the early mornings with my dog, take long road bike rides, SUP, and practice and learn watercolor painting. There is live music every night, and farmers markets so I will be content.

While I am gone I am going to contemplate unloading my possessions and taking several extended trips for a year or two. I can stay in between with friends/son, etc. Hopefully I will figure this out by the time I get back in May.

I really am impressed with your fortitude, courage, zest to do what you are doing. It has really pushed me to search my reasons for not doing the same.

Continue to enjoy your travels and be safe.

Kim
That's funny, I was in Key West about the same time as you (just before Fantasy Fest. I think I am sorry I missed it.
Have a great time on your trip.
I think it will give you an idea if you really want to travel for an extended period.
My friend once told me that you only regret not doing the things you want to do.......not the things that you do.
But use this time to explore your inner-self to see if an extended trip and selling all your stuff is really what you want to do.
And let me know how it goes.
Stay in touch
Lalo
Old 02-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #1479
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Colombia

I have been here in Colombia for about 4 days now.
Here's what I have found out so far
First, they really like motorcycles here. Most of the roads I have been on have been toll roads. But there is a free lane just for motorcycle. It is only about 2 feet wide and sometimes it is a squeeze to go thru the toll booth in this free moto lane with such a big bike.

Second, I have not found all that many cute girls here. Everyone says Colombia (and Brazil) is the place. But maybe they are all in Bogota. And that's where I am heading now. We'll see.

Third, it's a big country. It takes a full day to go 2 inches on my map. In Central America, I could ride for 2 hours and cover the same distance.

Fourth, the people are friendly here.

Fifth, people drive crazy here. Fast. Slow. And without thinking.

My and my Russian friend came up to this traffic jam on a major two lane road. Traffic was dead stopped. We road the dirt shoulder (splitting between the big rig trucks and a 3 foot drop off the side of the road).
We got up to a point that looked like they were doing road construction. And the construction guys waived us thru. I thought they were just letting motorcycles pass. Up ahead, we arrived at the problem........a 4 truck pile-up blocking the whole road. We were able to weave our way thru the wreckage using the road and the shoulder. It was tight, but we were able to get thru. On the other side was 3 miles of trucks and cars waiting helplessly in the 100 degree heat for someone to clear the road so they could continue.
It was so nice to be on a motorcycle and get around this mess. As an added benefit, the road was almost completely clear of vehicles for over 100 miles. That meant no more passing big rigs for 100 miles. But the only down side was the big rigs coming the otherway, thought our lane was open and they were using it without caution to pass slower trucks. We both had a few moments but we arrived at Aquachica and got a beer. So all is well.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:07 AM   #1480
Wimke1971
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Nice to hear again from you, and read your blog is a highlight in our dull existence!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #1481
estebansos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Colombia

Hi,
for girls the city is Medellin
Bogotá is nice too, but famous city, Medellin.
From Cartagena, a road heads north to Riohacha and Cabo de la Vela. Highly recommended. You pass thru Santa Marta, a major city, then Palomino, a beach retreat, then Camarones (flamingos on a cienaga) also Tayrona National Park is wild and beautiful, and the road goes with the mountain on your right and the caribbean on your left. Beautiful road.

From that area, you can either head to Bogota or Medellín. I would go first to the latest. Medellin. The road is more interesting. You go thru sincelejo caucasia medellin. Its a full heavy 12 hour riding day, wake up early. Spend a few days there and afterwards head to Bogota or the coffee region. (Be aware there is a strike from the coffee makers, they have road blockades and minor riots). Now that I think about it that sucks. You could travel the coffee region and then head back towards Bogota and do your maintenance.

From here south, you have to go back towards Armenia, head to Cali, Popayán and Pasto. The road from Neiva to Popayan is another option but too risky at this time. Dont recommend it.

If you head south from cartagena on the middle of the country, you have 2 options. Either Bucaramanga or by the Magdalena River. Bucaramanga=Mountains, Magdalena River=Plains. If you go thru Bucaramanga you should also pass thru San Gil, and a little gem called Barichara. Colonial Town not very crowded and somehow touristy but worth it.

San gil is full of extreme adventure sports and entertainment.

From there on is a highway almost to Bogota with little not so highway spots.

Safe travels!!!

estebansos screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 07:56 AM
Old 03-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #1482
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by estebansos View Post
Hi,
for girls the city is Medellin
Bogotá is nice too, but famous city, Medellin.
From Cartagena, a road heads north to Riohacha and Cabo de la Vela. Highly recommended. You pass thru Santa Marta, a major city, then Palomino, a beach retreat, then Camarones (flamingos on a cienaga) also Tayrona National Park is wild and beautiful, and the road goes with the mountain on your right and the caribbean on your left. Beautiful road.

From that area, you can either head to Bogota or Medellín. I would go first to the latest. Medellin. The road is more interesting. You go thru sincelejo caucasia medellin. Its a full heavy 12 hour riding day, wake up early. Spend a few days there and afterwards head to Bogota or the coffee region. (Be aware there is a strike from the coffee makers, they have road blockades and minor riots). Now that I think about it that sucks. You could travel the coffee region and then head back towards Bogota and do your maintenance.

From here south, you have to go back towards Armenia, head to Cali, Popayán and Pasto. The road from Neiva to Popayan is another option but too risky at this time. Dont recommend it.

If you head south from cartagena on the middle of the country, you have 2 options. Either Bucaramanga or by the Magdalena River. Bucaramanga=Mountains, Magdalena River=Plains. If you go thru Bucaramanga you should also pass thru San Gil, and a little gem called Barichara. Colonial Town not very crowded and somehow touristy but worth it.

San gil is full of extreme adventure sports and entertainment.

From there on is a highway almost to Bogota with little not so highway spots.

Safe travels!!!

Good advice.....thanks
I spent the night in Barachara last night and hike to guane this morning.
Right now I am I San Gil getting ready to go white water rafting and then caving tomorrow.then I am off to the Sierras for some hiking about 5000 meters........that's my idea of getting high
Old 03-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #1483
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

crazy drivers

Maybe I fit in here in Colombia, but the drive fast and furious here. And you have too if you want to get anywhere.
Yesterday, there was yet another big rig accident that shut down half the road. I was riding on the on coming traffic side to get to the front of the line. There was three miles of back up. I got to the front and a gas tanker truck had crashed in a little town. They were being very careful to clean up the mess.
And when there is a crash involving big trucks, your drive tine has just doubled. But with the motorcycles, we were able to sneak around the clean up and get to the front
Old 03-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #1484
m&p products
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
finally....

That Sanford and Son reference was your best writing yet, Ed. And surprise, i finally got Bryce to get me through to you. Keeping track every day. Especially those visits to everyday places, like the food joints and the cheap rooms and the native people and folks you meet along the way. Landscape, oceans and the mountain, that's the stuff most people see on post cards. It's the up close and personal that grabs us, people you meet and the price of beer and the way the natives live. Ruts and sinkholes and monkeys that swim, that's really good. Not to mention the guy who grabbed your crotch. You mention the wine along the way but are you listening to Richard W.? Some things never change.
You know i won't God bless you are pray for you but I want you to know that i am riding right next to every moment of every day. Good fortune and good hunting, Ed, and enjoy the moment best you can. Know you suffer from time to time but that is exactly what separates you from the rest of us ordinary human types, your willingness to endure. From you know who.....
Old 03-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #1485
lqgsrider
LQDesert Rider

Oddometer: 357
Ed,

I'm not able to view the pics you put in the photobucket link. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark
Closed Thread