Glad you are still around to tell us.
If you don't mind me asking.
What exactly happened?
rico2072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #17
fltplan
Just toolin around

Oddometer: 129
Thoughts and prayers for the best recovery possible for you. You're still in the game!
fltplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:40 AM   #18
mhpr262

Oddometer: 3,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdub View Post
glad you're still around to talk to us. and prosthetics are good now, you may not have to give up riding if you don't want to.
He did not just lose the leg, he said he was a paraplegic now ...

Damn that is my one nightmare.
mhpr262 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #19
sixspeed
15 under Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by not2fast View Post
Hello,
Some of you know me from rides and Ephrata cycle gatherings. On May 11 I was involved in a collison with a Jeep. I had the right of way when the jeepdriver drove into me from my right side. The outcome for me was not so good. I spent two weeks in intesive care in Phila HUP and then was then sent to Magee Rehab in Phila where I am now.

The accident has cost me my right leg above the knee and I am now a paraplegic. This is a dissapointment for a guy who has ridden for almost 40 years. I wanted to share this with the people who know me so they will know why I am not around.

The wreck distroyed my new 2012 DL650 which was a 60th birthday present to myself.

I am still around and able to communicate because of my newer HJC full face helmet and Olympia long jacket. That safety gear left the upper body totally intact and undamaged. Buy the best gear you can. It works, I can attest to that. The hospital said that jacket was the most difficult they ever had to cut apart.

So for now its rehab to get back to my new normal.

Be careful out there. and keep me in your thoughts.

Terry
12 DL650 destroyed
02 DL 1000 - For sale
99 Dr650- For Sale
Hey, are you typing all of this stuff?????

Lots of good vibes and lots more prayers coming your way!

Rob 2010 WR250R 2011 FLHP
sixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #20
not2fast OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Its me typing and doing

Yes, I'm behind the keyboard and the upper half is still working well.

Ass for what happened, the jeep driver pulled out into my path. The police are still working on the case but that is what I saw happen in the split second it took for the accident.

Again, thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I will be in rehab for another month so lets hope it gets me more mobile.

Adv Rider friends are the best in the world.

Terry
Old 06-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #21
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,270
Hang in there Terry. At least your still around to enjoy the company of your friends who care about you very much !
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #22
UNO_RIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Sorry to hear about your accident. I can't imagine what you're going through, but I recognize it's going to be one of the hardest battles you'll fight. The great thing is that you have a warrior’s resolve which will help you conquer the road ahead.

While you're going through the process of rehabilitation and taking on a new way of life, recognize that there are various stages grief that you'll go through. I encourage you to write about your trials and tribulations, in this forum or a private journal. IMHO, there's something about writing about what you're going through that assists with the recovery/healing process.

I had an incident that's unrelated to injury that took a lot of years away from my life. I began writing about my demons and the emotional battles that followed. I started my writings by going back in time to the incidents that chipped away the years; things that I couldn't understand and couldn't control----I laid it all on paper; I was angry, sad, happy; all the crazy emotions that one goes through while rediscovering life's journey.

I began writing over the course of a couple of years at times daily, but mostly a couple of times a month. As with any injury, I had many battle wounds....What was odd to me, as I wrote, the wounds began to heal.. I attribute the acceleration of the healing process by going back to past writings and absorbing what I wrote.... I began to find peace and harmony with myself from my own writings. It wasn’t anything that anyone could have told me----it was me in my own words. Over the course of a year, my emotional wellbeing improved and I can now say, I'm the happiest I've ever been. I recognize now that I'll always have the scars of the past, but now I know how to manage it…. I improved my quality of life and more importantly those around me.

Again, I'm terribly sorry about your accident and I wish you the best on your recovery.

Best,

UNO
UNO_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #23
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,081
Terry, that sucks.
Truly sorry mate.
Glad to see/hear you are still with us.
Keep us posted and in the loop on your recovery.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #24
JasonTOneal
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Terry- Really saddened by this news. My thoughts are with you as you go through recovery. I know that you will endure, stay strong brother.
JasonTOneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #25
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
Wow... just wow. Interesting comment about ABS. Even a bike with ABS should show some marks on the pavement, but if your braking habits are good, there wouldn't be any.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #26
stefer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by not2fast View Post
I am still around and able to communicate because of my newer HJC full face helmet and Olympia long jacket. That safety gear left the upper body totally intact and undamaged. Buy the best gear you can. It works, I can attest to that. The hospital said that jacket was the most difficult they ever had to cut apart.
Hi not2fast.

I'm glad your alive, and will pray for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ancient Proverb
Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up.
stefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #27
darkstarmoto
Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer: 343
Really very sad news but glad you're still with us. We met briefly at the Turkey Hill @ 501 & 322 after you had gotten the 12.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #28
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Terry, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #29
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhpr262 View Post
He did not just lose the leg, he said he was a paraplegic now ...

Damn that is my one nightmare.
Not that this is the time or the place, but that doesn't mean the end of riding, just the end of riding two wheels (i.e. I know of many paraplegic trike riders out there still enjoying themselves).

All my best to not2fast for the best possible recovery...
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #30
jus4fun
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thank you sharing your story with us and I am very sorry about the accident. I am going to show my husband what you said about gears since he rides to work sometime without proper gear on. I don't think it's very wise of him and I am a mother for 2 kids...not 3.

I am a rider myself, but you can bet I am fully gear when I am on one of my motorcycles.

My prayers and thoughts will be with you. Speedy recovery!

Toni
jus4fun is offline   Reply With Quote