User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Pussboy OP
Oh, nice marmot.

Oddometer: 390
Mama ain't happy!

Well, we did our first 800 mile weekend in the beginning of May and the stock seat did not agree with either of us. I sent the seat off to Renazco immediately upon our return and he built me one of his new Ergo seats. I find it to be much better but she still is not happy. She says she can't help sliding forward constantly. Any comments or advice will be appreciated. I told her that I found a couple that rode their 990 18,000 miles. She did not think it was funny when I said that lady must be alot tougher than her! I love this bike but it may be trading fodder if I can't make her happy!

Thanks,

Scott

p.s. She supports my hobby/sickness 100% so it will be worth my while to take care of her!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,978
Did you get a suede cover? I put a suede seat cover on my stock seat, one of the big reasons was keeping my wife from sliding forward all the time. Helped quite a bit.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Pussboy OP
Oh, nice marmot.

Thanks Zak, That was one of the trade-offs for not having to wait until October for a full blown Renazco custom. No suede option. It is non-skid vinyl tho.The suede would not have worked well for me anyways as a commute 100 miles a day/ rain or shine.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussboy View Post
I sent the seat off to Renazco immediately upon our return and he built me one of his new Ergo seats. I find it to be much better but she still is not happy.
So it's not a custom? I can't see any mention of Ergo on the website. I know by default (custom) the focus is on the rider not the passenger.

I had a Russell on my bike before (with the wings) bought it used. I didn't like how the wings restricted my movement but Russell has a lot of experience making two-up seats.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
Pussboy OP
Oh, nice marmot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
So it's not a custom? I can't see any mention of Ergo on the website. I know by default (custom) the focus is on the rider not the passenger.

I had a Russell on my bike before (with the wings) bought it used. I didn't like how the wings restricted my movement but Russell has a lot of experience making two-up seats.
The Ergo is a quick turnaround seat for them built on my pan. Mike spent a good bit of time on the phone with me and determined that he would not do much different on a full blown custom. He let me know up front that this would still not be a perfect seat for 2 up. It is a great deal better than stock for both of us. I did not know about it either until I sent in the info request and he called me. With a week shipping each way, I was only without my seat for 3 weeks.

Even though this is not the perfect seat for us, I highly recommend Renazco. The quality is superb and they are very nice people to deal with.

Those Russells do look comfy...perhaps I need 2 seats
Old 06-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,081
Surely you can find an add-on solution. What did she like before? You should be able to replicate that without trading the bike.

Thankfully, my spouse has never ridden with me two-up, but we came to know each other in a race paddock. 35 years later we are still in paddocks with our sons...I'd rather she have a bike of her own if she wants to ride. She's been tempted, but the closest she's come to riding is a pitbike.

Smart woman
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
emuooz
Tyre Rooter

Oddometer: 362
Don't take her problem solved.

Full Member......Quorn Schnitzel Club
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...mUP17SaZA5QYc5
emuooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
Central Cali Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
A custom seat goes a long way. I rode in last year to Bill Mayer Saddles in Ojai California with my 11 year old son. They measure,marked and asked a lot of questions. I rode 2 hrs back home and for the first time I did not have any arse pain and my son enjoyed it.
2006 Suzuki SV1000S for wifey Sold !
1997 KLR650 For sale SOLD !!
Central Cali Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,093
try the airhawk.. my gf and I use it on top of the renazco for longer trips..

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:08 AM   #10
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussboy View Post
I told her that I found a couple that rode their 990 18,000 miles. She did not think it was funny when I said that lady must be alot tougher than her! I love this bike but it may be trading fodder if I can't make her happy!
Thanks,
Scott

p.s. She supports my hobby/sickness 100% so it will be worth my while to take care of her!
You guys haven't been together long have you? Comparing her negatively with another woman...be careful Scott....be very very careful!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #11
Pussboy OP
Oh, nice marmot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
You guys haven't been together long have you? Comparing her negatively with another woman...be careful Scott....be very very careful!
I like to live life on the edge! That's why I married a Redhead! I know to duck when I say things like that!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
j.king
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
quick fix - second on the airhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul View Post
try the airhawk.. my gf and I use it on top of the renazco for longer trips..

this would be my suggestion for a quick fix until you can take a look at a russel or something else. I picked up a Corbin quite on the cheap and it was a big improvement over stock but still had the problem of my wife sliding forward all the time - not only did she not like it I found it really tiring whenever we flew down downhill twisties as it was like haveing a 115lb sack of cement pushing on your back everytime you hit the brakes.

Added an airhawk for extra comfort and came to appreciate the added bonus of it really helping her not slide forward nearly as much.

Just got the smallest pillion size for the back and am very happy for now. Make sure you set it up with really not much air as this is the most comfortable setup.

cheers
Old 06-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,220
make your own custom

I acquired a seat concepts tall then cut it down to fit myself and my wifes ass. Using an electric carving knife and a small grinder. works great and I couldn't be happier. the price was also very reasonable.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #14
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,024
another solution

I hate seats where the rear is "ramped" into the front...

try a BeadRider... depending on her (personal) rear padding she may or may not like the feel of it, and you do move around on them some, especially when you are riding hard

...or a piece of sheepskin, which can be tucked in any position and moved anywhere if it's not strapped down. You can also take it off when it rains and stow it away. Works great summer or winter, and you can find a piece at an upholstery shop if you don't want to spend a lot on a "professional" version
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #15
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,279
Does anyone else find a thread titled "Mama ain't happy" by an inmate named "pussboy" hilarious?

I have a Renazco Ergo seat that I've been testing for them and I LOVE thing thing.. but I don't know that it is passenger orientated. Solo.. it is a winner; whether it works for Mama would depend on the shape of her butt (but heaven knows if she's already not happy... I'm not going to bring up such a topic ! )

Sometimes I've found with a passenger it is more about making them comfortable than the seat... do you have a trunk box with a back rest pad? Perhaps if she had a back rest she'd relax more and sit differently on the seat?

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote