User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2015, 03:44 AM   #1
ryder1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Brendan Byrne State Forest New Jersey

This is my first foray into sandy riding. I left home at 7am, it was chilly and I should have put my liners in but I am tough. I closed all of the vents in my gear, I guess that I am not that tough, and headed on. Somewhere around Buckingham I met a friendly Cop who gave me a speed cert It seems the mighty dr can do 14 over the limit. Who would have thought.

In NJ I drop off my gear at my Aunts house and hit WW for a map case.

Now I am all set. I head on over to the Sandy Highway, this should have tipped me off but it didn't. Once there I heed the advice of a fellow board member and lower the tire pressure to 20 psi.

With in 100 yards of the hard road I almost dump it. I didn't realize at the time that this would be a reoccurring theme. I find a firmer road and away I go.

Well that wasn't too bad, I think I know what I am doing now. This is easy and I increase my speed to a blistering 25 mph. I then find more of this.

As I am negotiating the floury sand I keep stabbing my foot down to keep the bike upright. Now you remember that I said it was chilly on the ride to NJ? Well in the woods there was no breeze and me traveling a warp speed I started to get hot. So, all of the vents were opened up and I started to cool down. I figured out riding the in sand is hard work. Maybe I should start lifting weights and riding my bicycle again.
ryder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:00 AM   #2
ryder1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Now being cooler and feeling more comfortable my speed increases and this is the result.

I haven't seen it mentioned in the DR650 thread here but I think my bike is a bit narcoleptic. It kept wanting to lay down.

After I woke the bike up I came across 3 dirt bikers. They were headed my way so I moved out of their way. I later ran across 2 of their buddies. I asked the one guy if there was an area that was less sandy he said no and that was the whole point of riding here. Duh, I guess I am not that smart.

I went around in circles for a little while then found my way back to the Sandy Highway and back onto the hard road. I wound my way back to my Aunts house and saw power lines and a nice little road that goes along it. So off I go and it was firmer than BBSF. Nearer to my Aunts there were another power line trail. And again off I go. This last trail was whoopee I was up on the pegs for the entire 200 yards.

Back at my Aunts the first thing I did was eat aspirin because I was already feeing soar. Then took a nap, I was tired too. Later got some beer and the achiness subsided.

The grand total of time in BBSF was about 90 minutes. I am still a little achy this morning. I will be headed off to the ranger station to see about getting a map for the SF and trying to go further into the depths of the woods.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:15 AM   #3
jochuma3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
nice report

Nice report Chris, Sand is a Bastard, particularly on a DR650. One good thing is that it is usually nice and soft when you hit the ground.
John C.
jochuma3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:45 AM   #4
ryder1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Headed back into the breech.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #5
CaseyB
Adventually

Oddometer: 610
I would just ride that first part back and forth.

First time my tires ever touched sand, was in that exact spot. The guy showing me around pulled off the pavement and proceded to throw up a 5' roost of sand in the air. I was like 'awww shit, this guy is gonna hate me'

The sand really freaked me out. Amazing the difference a few years makes.

Those guys didn't give you exactly correct info. if you turn left, like 3/4's the way down that sand highway - you'll find some slightly harder packed stuff.

You gotta stand up. Even if you're in 2nd and 3rd. It may be uncomfortable, but its alot easier than having to paddle

CaseyB screwed with this post 05-21-2015 at 09:17 AM Reason: your and you're
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:45 AM   #6
ryder1 OP
Studly Adventurer

I know you are right about standing up Casey but my head is sating now I'm farther away from the ground and will pick up speed so the hit, that will come, will be harder.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:18 AM   #7
CaseyB
Adventually

Oddometer: 610
I'm with ya man, it's freakin weird at first

That's the bitch. It's easier to stand and go faster, then sit and go slower.

Try this, once you get going and the back starts to get fishy - stand and add just a tiny bit of throttle.

You really don't have to being going all that fast, just keeping the front light with some momentum will help.

Keep at it, you'll get it. There is a ton of fun riding to be had down that way.

edit to add - drop the rear down to 18psi and the front to 15
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #8
vwlandon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
That sand can really be quite the asshole. The first time I went there on a klr 650 fully loaded with camp gear and it was a learning curve for sure. But now I have a dr350 and I can't wait to get back there on a bike that doesn't weigh as much as a damn car
vwlandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
ryder1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Fridays are always the best day to bail on work and go riding.

Especially just before a long weekend.

I have my gear drying out and am waiting for photobucket to upload todays pics.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:46 PM   #10
blackseven
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder1 View Post

You're not that far away from me, I live just over the boarder into MD. We should link up and head out for a ride sometime. I haven't really found many trails around this area yet, have ridden green ridge and michaux.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #11
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder1 View Post

Sounds great, subscribed!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:40 PM   #12
ryder1 OP
Studly Adventurer

I left a little later than I wanted to this morning but I did have a short cut to use to get to the park rangers office so everything evened out.

I took Mule Rd south from the airport. I made sure to wave at Officer Friendly when I went by the licensing office then motored down the road a bit. The surface street ended and the sand took over. I should have done an Earth view but I like the map view. The sand wasn't too bad.

Before I forget, I didn't mention the wildlife that I have seen so far. Wednesday I saw a frog, if it wasn't trying to get away from me I would have never seen it. It is about as big as my thumb nail. Today I saw 2 full grown male bears. When I saw them my first thought was will I get out of here alive. They were burly but I knew the mighty DR could do me no wrong. That plus they were at the Chinese place for lunch (I think this is across the road from every ones favorite Wawa) and I was just about to leave. Later I saw a deer I think it was a buck but I am not sure and it was pretty big.

Now back to my tale. I checked out google maps and wrote a crib sheet to get me to the rangers office so I could get a map of BBSF. Following Mule Rd south I went across 614 (surface road) then back into the sand on Edge. I kept going knowing at some point I need to hook a right.

At some point I managed to find 539 (aka Roosevelt City Rd). I took a left thinking I was going in the correct direction.

Just down the road was this place.

I continued south and finally hit 72, then headed west to BBSF and Glassworks Rd. Traveled up it and found the campsites but no rangers office. WTF??? So, I headed a fit farther north and finally realized that there must not be a rangers station and no picnic basket.

I took a couple of turns and winded up on this trail.

It might be hard to tell from this picture but there are whoopee dee doos. This was very fun to stand up on the pegs and get all crazy at 15 mph

By this time I realized I was getting close to reserve and needed to find a gas station. I wounded up getting on Savoy/Pasadena Rd. This road must have an in proportional truck to every other vehicle ratio. Prior to this road I saw 2 pickups. Here there were at least 20 dump trucks and several TT dump trucks. But I did spy an interesting house.

From here I had a great lunch at the Chinese place then headed back into the SF.
My fortune.

Jennifer Aniston I will wait for you!!!! Or any other hot chick with a boat load of money and nothing better to do, yes I can be a kept man.

The rain/heavy drizzle was coming down pretty steady. I figured this was in my best interest. It should stiffen up the sand.

When I first got back on the sand I kept running into the surface streets but I managed to get away from them. Then took a left right tract. Every intersection I would first turn left then the next one I would turn right. This worked out well. I had no idea where I was but as I have been quoted "as long as you have gas you are not lost". Thanks to Jim for quoting me on this. It still holds true.

I think this is a cranberry bog in the off season.

As I am riding along I was thinking "It would be great if there were road signs".

Now that I have one I still have no clue as to where I am in the woods.

But I know I am here.

Soon after I decided it was time to really go off road. I found a single track to take.

I am in my element now. Just ride along and go the way the ruts go. It seemed a lot of them doubled back to the same road where they started. Not really sure why this is but wth.

I wasn't too wet before I started the single tracks but was soaking wet after the first one. The pine needles hold a lot of moisture and I am not quite an expert in dodging them yet.

Out of all of the single tracks I took I only turned around once and that was in Greenwood Forest. I went down the single track and at the bottom of the hill there was 2 feet of sand (this is a no shitter(and you know that is the truth)). On the up side of the next hill there were 3 trees across the path. When back on the main "road" I found more sand. It was getting on it the day and I was complete soaked so I started back to my Aunts.

I think I figured out part of my problem in the sand.

The front tire is clogged. Granted the bike had a narcoleptic episode not long before and was dozing off again prior to this pic.

When I finally popped out of the woods I was in Whiting. Asked a couple of kids where I was and how to get back to 530, they said follow me and I did.

Once back at the homestead, I rinsed the bike off (this is as close as I have come to washing a bike) to rid it of all sand and pine needles (Doug you would be proud of me). Then the riding gear went into the heated garage to slowly dry out.

In the morning I will head to AAA to see if I can get a county map for better detail of the riding area.

By the way. The map case is not water proof, at best it might be water resistant as long as it doesn't drizzle too long.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:44 PM   #13
ryder1 OP
Studly Adventurer

I forget to tell you. On my to lunch I found this place called "Your Daily Bread" it was right next to a church. I stopped in but they weren't serving lunch.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:56 PM   #14
ryder1 OP
Studly Adventurer

I did notice that when single tracking there was a pink and green ribbon on the trail for turns/roads. I figured that this was a course setup and tried to follow it as closely as possible.

The things you forget during the day. But luckily beer does revive the memory
Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM   #15
wbihsnp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Great Thread!

Chris, enjoyed reading about you playing in the sandbox. Great pictures to boot. I am still working on the R77 resurrection project, going to PA just about every weekend. Riding the K1200LT up this weekend, so that we can get the bikes ready for the trip to the Iowa Rally.

Dieter
wbihsnp is offline   Reply With Quote