Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 11:40 PM   #391
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,709
Day two of storm chasing this weekend. Just couldn't get enough so I went back for more.

Rode over the mountain in the morning to see what I could and things were happening. Played around on a little two track off Monitor to get some better views.

Here we go.

By the time I got back into the high country it was a solid grey mess with showers ,hail and lightning. Exciting for certain, but not friendly for photos, I did manage one near the pass.

Realizing I wasn't going to ride my way out of this storm, and it was to early to go home I made a beeline for a small cabin I've stopped by so many times. I've never seen it in use and it's always been boarded up, figured no one would mind if I ate my lunch on the porch and enjoyed the show going on around me. This is what enjoying the moment is all about, just siting there for a couple hours with continuous Thunder at some points shaking the ground, while I ate lunch in the dead center of a high Sierra storm. Couldn't see much, but sure did hear it, nothing like a ripping thunderclap then echoing down the canyons.

No, the rain never did let up, so photos were hard to take, but I had to try here. When I crossed this stream in the morning it was barely a trickle of water, now look at it. Just awesome.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:43 PM   #392
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

This ride also convinced me I need to invest in a GoPro. While I have a heart for still photos, some things are just better in video. While sitting on the porch I tried to capture the thunder, trust me it was explosive in person.....not so much on the video. Same as when I walked down to the creek gone violent. Don't take it to serious...I didn't

Old 07-21-2014, 11:49 PM   #393
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophog View Post
Dave apparently we share the same backyard
You do such a great job shiring our passion
Just wanted to say thanks hope to see you out there
You ride this area enough we will probably cross paths, maybe we already have

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
Nice update, Desert Dave. That Bonnie picture was sweet. Your Yamaha is set up well. I may end up getting one of those one day. Thanks for the beautiful photography.
The Bonnie or the Yamaha? I agree the Bonnie was sweet, the Yamaha IS set up well, that's why I still have the Yamaha

Old 07-21-2014, 11:53 PM   #394
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkg123 View Post
Dave, I need to join in here again. Two years in a row now I've wandered through NoCal on my vacations, in no small part because of this thread. .......
Cool! You've got the right spirit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Thanks for more. The photos from your stormy ride are awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeRob View Post
That is an interesting view of the valley/halfdome! Did you stack that up with a 300-400mm lens to get that to work?! Very cool....
I swear your images get better every time I come in this thread!
Awesome work, thanks for sharing.
Glad you were able to make out the landmark
I shot that with a 70-300mm lens, probably just shy of 300. Many don't realize that on a clear day you can even see Yosemite from HWY 5 and make out Half Dome if you know where to look. A decent lens of course pulls it all in.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:58 PM   #395
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPillion View Post
Heck no...We loaded up the kayaks with camping gear and did an over-nighter at Bowman Lake. Paddled around during the storms, just asking for trouble. A little crazy, I know.
The sky has been majorly beautiful up here in North East Cal for the last few weeks.
Once again you have captured EXACTLY what I see.
Thanks for sharing DD.
I didn't mean YOU by any means!

Can't see you sitting on the porch when there is a little crazy to be had. Besides crazy is just educated risk taken to an extreme right?

The sky has been wild lately. Sometimes it's so unreal in person that even the over the top photos don't get it all, glad you see the wild reality in my photos!

Old 07-22-2014, 04:19 AM   #396
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,809
You certainly did find a storm to play in. That creek is really moving.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #397
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Interesting how localized this storm was - or maybe just worse on the west slope. I was planning a 3 day ride in the area but my son joined me so we took 4 wheels. Went over Tioga on Friday and back on Sunday, camped off Lee Vining Creek, and only had a few brief showers, the worst at Bodie on Saturday afternoon. Everywhere we went we saw puddles, and quite a bit of debris runoff just east of Tuolumne Meadows on Sunday that hadn't been there two days earlier. As beautiful as it looks, I'll confess that I don't completely mind that I missed it, especially as I can enjoy it through your pictures.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #398
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Wow! Almost like a painting. Of course all of the photo's are cool, not just this one. Oh, and a Bud with a Rasberry cookie, yum yum!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #399
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 790
I returned home on Friday afternoon. Picked up some light rain on 120 between Benton to Lee Vining. Lee Vining was picture perfect. Bridgeport was dry with darkening skies. Heavy hail and rain on the pass north of Bridgeport to Walker. Was heavy rain on both sides of Monitor Pass. At the 4 / 89 intersection I had to make a decision. Thunder clouds over 88 and clear blue skies over 4. Chose 4 and had a wonderful dry ride over Ebbetts Pass and Pacific Grade Summit. Clear skies at Lake Alpine and all the way to Sacramento while enjoying a beautiful sunset.
All this time and it was still pouring in Lake Tahoe. It continued to rain in Lake Tahoe all weekend.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #400
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Interesting how localized this storm was.....

-dman
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
I returned home on Friday afternoon. Picked up some light rain .... Was heavy rain on both sides of Monitor Pass. .... Thunder clouds over 88 and clear blue skies over 4. .....Clear skies at Lake Alpine....
All this time and it was still pouring in Lake Tahoe. It continued to rain in Lake Tahoe all weekend.
Yes! This is what I love. When the entire mountains are socked in a grey mist, I usually don't bother. These summer storms are so much fun because the edge is where I want to be, exciting, gorgeous views. Being how localized the weather was there are "edges" all over the place. Friday I skirted them just fine with minimal wet, actually would have preferred more coming home but got "stuck" with blue skies . Sunday morning was awesome, big thunderheads and big rain drops...twist the grip hard and ten minutes later you're out of it.

The afternoon was another story, it was so thick you couldn't see the mountains from monitor, terrible for photos but what a wild experience. Lifetime memories being made

Old 07-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #401
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
Oh, and a Bud with a Rasberry cookie, yum yum!
It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Old 07-22-2014, 10:28 AM   #402
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Tires on the Tenere

DD:

What tires are those on the Tenere and how do you like them?

I'm coming to California for a 2 week circle tour end Sept / first week Oct. Will be riding 75% paved roads with some easy unpaved sections.

Starting and ending in Reno. Head south for Yosemite and Sequoia. WIll do some ounpaved sections here.

Then turn west for San Luis Obispo. Ride up the coast to San Fran then further north for the Lost Coast. Turn back east at Eureka. Turn a bit south for Lassen, then back to Reno.

Looking for a good dual purpose for the trip. Need something capable off road without too much compromise on the great paved roads we will ride.

John
johnpitts01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #403
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,793
Nice job capturing the Drama...

...that's the only kind of drama I like in my life, Natures Drama.
Love it and thanks for what you do. Awesome .
Old 07-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #404
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
What tires are those on the Tenere and how do you like them?

Those are Full Bore tires. Kept hearing so much about them so I had to give them a try. On my second rear and first front, not sure I'll run them again.

They gain you a little off road compared to a Tourance or something, but not like a Hiedanau or TKC. Street manners are, well, different. Turn in is initially quick but predictable and slows down as you lean over. Feels awful until broken in (a couple hundred miles of twisty). Wouldn't believe it if I hadn't tried them, and I didn't just get used to it. I've never before learned to like a tire I initially didn't, this thing is an enigma.

Search the forums, people have strong opinions both ways. I don't. They are just a middle of the road tire in my book. Plenty of stick to play in the corners though. I don't want to be responsible for recommending them....try at your own risk, you may love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
...that's the only kind of drama I like in my life, Natures Drama.
You and me both brother!

Old 07-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #405
bruceca2002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
How about a comparison of the 2 bikes now that you have some miles under your belt on both. Keep up the excellent reports, thanks.
bruceca2002 is offline   Reply With Quote