Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #406
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceca2002 View Post
How about a comparison of the 2 bikes now that you have some miles under your belt on both. Keep up the excellent reports, thanks.

I know YOU didn't, but it's funny how many people ask which one I like better, like there should be a winner and there really isn't.

Long story short: they both address similar riding, which happens to be the kind of riding I do. Simply the Tenere feels a fair amount more confident in the dirt, and is physically larger which is nice for open highway and long days. The Vee turns in significantly quicker, is lighter and feels lighter when tearing up paved twities. The Vee is also smaller, which makes it feel more sporty even though I'm comfortable enough for long days (and still getting her set up). Similar purpose but different enough that when I'm on one I really enjoy it's good differences and don't think about the cons to much.

If you want more details on my opinion, search my posts, I've been a little vocal in the respective threads on this forum

At the end of the day, I'm truly THANKFUL that I have TWO bikes I absolutely love that fit what I do.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:54 PM   #407
bruceca2002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Thanks Dave, i would have thought it would have been the other way around with the V Strom being so much lighter. Hard to beat the build quality of the Yamaha though!!!
bruceca2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #408
The_Scottsman
There's Beer here??

Oddometer: 102
Wish I Had a Beer and a Cookie...

Got caught at that same cabin last August. Alas, no cookie, and no bud...

Ego reperio vestri fedei defectus turbare.
The_Scottsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #409
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

My take on riding NORTHERN Nor Cal

I love it when a few weekdays free up for riding at the last minute. I immediately thought about heading towards the north coast as I haven't been there in awhile and this time of year I sure could use some of natures air conditioning, especially if I was going to be out multiple days.

Now, I've been considering checking out a place called fern canyon since I heard about it a few years ago, seems like my sort of place. As luck...or was it fate?....may have it I come home and open up the Day Trippin forum and see Redog1 s ride report about beating the heat on the Lost Coast, and page one is all about Fern Canyon with a nice write up and pictures that made up my mind that minute. This is perfect.

So I get my stuff together and head north. I could have high tailed it up there saw the canyon and rode home but you know by now that's not my style. I took advantage of heading that direction to ride some superb roads in Lake County, some that I haven't been on in years. Day one was all about ear to ear grinning , full tilt boogie kind of roads. This day enjoying the moment was all about twisting the grip and countersteering. I told myself if something jumps out at me I'll stop to investigate /take a photo, but that didn't happen until north of Garberville.

101 keeps getting wider and "improved" everytime I ride it. While in a rather open section of road I caught a glimpse of where I imagined the original highway was, hugging the edge of a cliff while while the current highway is blasted through the hill.

I passed where I saw the roads separate and thought about how neat that old section must have been. After thinking about it a few minutes a U-turn was in order, I need a closer look. If you like old, abandoned stuff as much as I do this is a neat place to stop for a quick break and take a walk.

What an interesting view of the river that you probably won't find on any tourist map.

After another quick stop at AREA 101 and a discussion on enlightenment I found myself at Trinidad minutes before sunset.

What a neat beach. I love the north coast where the rugged hills and trees come right down to the water. Not a bad view to end the day.

Day two up and at em bright and early. Well not really bright because the coastal fog doesn't do that up there so much. This is why I took three days. I wanted an entire day to enjoy the canyon, if I was done by 9 AM fine, but I don't want to feel rushed, and I may need the entire day.

Passing through a small town just south of Orick an entire herd of Elk were hanging by an old schoolhouse. Had to stop.

From there I was heading out the half paved/dirt road to Fern Canyon. Morning is the time to go. I'd find out later the road isn't supposed to be "open"until 9 in the morning, but arriving before 8 the gate was open and desolate road. Now a quick word of caution, this dirt road is by no means "offroad", but it does have a couple of small creek crossings, the first was big enough to slow down for, no big deal. The second looked like a trickle a few feet wide, but be careful the edge is stepped like a curb, and if you don't slow down and hit it at 40+ mph you'll be in for a rough hit. Ask me how I know.....

Parking lot empty and I start the short hike to the beginning of the canyon. The stream is really low right now as it spills out towards the beach. The entrance to the canyon is wide and like stepping into a lush rain forest . Makes me anxious to see what's further up the canyon.

Waterproof motorcycle boots make this really nice.

So this is Fern Canyon. No kidding.

Hey who's that guy looking up in amazement? Makes me feel so small.

At the end of the canyon the trail takes you up into an incredible forest....does this place stop impressing? I have no idea if i has a special name, but I'm calling it "The Awesome Forest". Just because it is.

Ferns grow everywhere.

I looped around back down the canyon. It's been a few hours now and I'm just starting to see other people. If you really want an outdoor solitude experience, go early. I found a spot in the canyon and sat on a log with my trail breakfast...coffee and a pop tart. I had my camera set up on a tripod, and as hikers started to filter in many were really interested in what I was doing, like "why are you just sitting here?" To which I'd reply "can you think of a better place to sit?" This started numerous conversations with strangers sharing the same experience. A couple I won't forget and feel better for having them, I love being on the road.

A few more detailed shots in the canyon.

It's been almost 7 hours, the parking area is getting full, it's time for me to go.

On the road out it occurred to me I didn't have any bike photos yet, I mean this is a RIDE report right? So I pulled over for a quick shot in the Jurrassic-like woods.

Rest of the afternoon was roaming backroads between there and Cresent City on roads like this.

Found this structure all by itself. My imagination goes wild.

Not mention the Elk that are really o.k. with people.

And you can all say Awwwwwww

Another great way to end the day.

Day 3 was all about the ride, but I did manage one picture much further south.

Saw these funny guys storming the beach by the thousands. Never seen anything like them.

Desert Dave screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 08:10 PM
Old 08-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #410
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Scottsman View Post
Got caught at that same cabin last August. Alas, no cookie, and no bud...
Well next time come prepared, getting wet is one thing but no cookie and no Beer??

Old 08-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #411
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,865
Fabulous pictures. Lucky to live near a place like that.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #412
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,800
Between you and UpST8 I really, really, really, want to go to Fern Canyon. I'm going to do it.

You're pictures are great as always. I like the elk sticking it's tongue out at you and the baby - too cute. About those weird things on the beach.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #413
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfrank View Post
Fabulous pictures. Lucky to live near a place like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Between you and UpST8 I really, really, really, want to go to Fern Canyon. I'm going to do it.

Yes, yes...lucky indeed. The whole point of this thread is the more I've been around the more I realize how lucky I am to have this stuff close. Stuff I just took for granted when I was younger.

Yes, you should go.

As long as I'm updating the thread, thought I'd throw in a few photos from Burney Falls a week or so ago. I guess I'm becoming a bit of a bird nerd, but birds of prey are SO cool, and I went up there specifically looking for some.

Found a few Osprey

Saw some Bald Eagles but they were to far off. Did manage to get close to these Juvenile Bald Eagles though

Old 08-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #414
TomInCA
Yinzer

Oddometer: 111
I have lived from Pollock Pines to Samoa, and I'm awestruck by your photographic interpretations. Just incredible!
TomInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #415
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,543
Dave you nailed it with this trip, spectacular!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #416
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Very Nice

For the same reason as you, I'm drawn to the bypassed older sections of roads. Hopefully, I can still ride them, but many times there is now something which blocks the way. Extremely awesome pictures.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #417
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomInCA View Post
I have lived from Pollock Pines to Samoa, and I'm awestruck by your photographic interpretations. Just incredible!
Thanks man, that's really saying something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Dave you nailed it with this trip, spectacular!
It's been to long since I've been that far North on the coast. Might be some more coming up.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
For the same reason as you, I'm drawn to the bypassed older sections of roads. Hopefully, I can still ride them, but many times there is now something which blocks the way.
Yeah, that particular spot has a gate, which could easily be ridden around. For some reason I'm less and less inclined to do that though

I've since learned that particular stretch of highway is referred to as "the slab" by the locals. Cool, it even has a name.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #418
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
Thanks man, that's really saying something!

It's been to long since I've been that far North on the coast. Might be some more coming up.....

Yeah, that particular spot has a gate, which could easily be ridden around. For some reason I'm less and less inclined to do that though

I've since learned that particular stretch of highway is referred to as "the slab" by the locals. Cool, it even has a name.
The first time I rode 101 was in the mid 80's and in those days it was a memorable bike road. Every time I have ridden it in the years since it has gotten wider, duller, more crowded and less fun. OTOH as the road has gotten lamer; the bikes I ride have gotten better.

In 86 I was on a Suzuki 750 WaterBuffalo; peaky, gutless, heavy and ill handling. It was so vile it was kind of fun. It was a challenge. The next time will be on my First Gen V-Strom 1000, as you know still a fine ride.

tunblrURL:phipsd.tumblr.com
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #419
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,899
That is a photo of Vellela.

Velella velella
is commonly known by the names sea raft, by-the-wind sailor, purple sail, little sail, or simply Velella. (wki)
Colonial hydrozoan... in the late summer it washes up on the beaches,sometimes gathering in huge drifts on the beaches.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:04 AM   #420
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,899
Heh, when I was a kid... that was the road. The roads were filled with logging trucks too.
The freeways were starting to replace the original 101 in the late 50's to mid 60's.
Back then, it was a very long day's drive (as I recall, 11-12 hrs) to San Francisco from Eureka. Now it's about 5-1/2 hours.

'Avenue of the Giants' is a lot of the old 101 highway.
Even that part is much improved over the old roads.