Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #421
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
That is a photo of Vellela.
I've since seen a few articles on this....guess I've just never been there at the right time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
The first time I rode 101 was in the mid 80's and in those days it was a memorable bike road. Every time I have ridden it in the years since it has gotten wider, duller, more crowded and less fun. OTOH as the road has gotten lamer; the bikes I ride have gotten better.

Quote:
Heh, when I was a kid... that was the road. The roads were filled with logging trucks too.
The freeways were starting to replace the original 101 in the late 50's to mid 60's.
Back then, it was a very long day's drive (as I recall, 11-12 hrs) to San Francisco from Eureka. Now it's about 5-1/2 hours.

I haven't been riding it that long, I did my first ride that way in the 80s as a teenager. I have seen a fair amount of change myself, I remember once I was North of Santa Rosa it was a good ride, fun roads, great scenery and little traffic. Yeah, all of that has changed. Wide roads, traffic and tract housing being built in places I used to think were "wild".

Did manage to ride avenue of the giants on this trip just after daybreak. Does remind me of the old highway.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #422
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

O.K., just a two picture update this time.....

Still can't get enough of the coast right now. Stayed local. Just a typical day of ultimate twisties to get the blood flowing and then a quiet lunch in the woods to take care of the soul.

Thought this was going to be a NO-PICTURE-just-ride day and then felt a bit inspired as evening came on. The beach was perfect and I didn't want to go home, so I set up to enjoy the sunset. There were a few other people out there, some taking photos. Like usual as soon as the sun dips below the horizon everyone is gone faster than the sun went down.

This was when I got my two favorite photos of the evening.

And if you like it so much you stick around until it's as much the light of a full moon illuminating the scene, that's when the magic happens.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #423
Stewart5533
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Just jumped onto this thread, pictures are truly stunning now I have another awesome thread to follow.
Thanks
Old 08-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #424
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,792
Laugh Nice job Dave...

I knew you'd do more justice to Fern Canyon than I did. Very nice!
Old 08-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #425
Bike Guy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Thanks for the info on fern canyon. Planning my s10 trip now
Bike Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #426
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,903
>"Thanks for the info on fern canyon. Planning my s10 trip now "

If coming from the south.

Take the Westhaven exit just north of Clam Beach.
Go west under the freeway overpass and take the 'old road' to the
north. Great views/access to the oceans there.

At Trinidad, take the 'stagecoach road' to the north.
Comes back out to 101 at Patricks point. More ocean views.
College Cove has access to the ocean/bluffs... but you'd better not
leave touring bikes there... lots of thefts in the parking lot.

Reverse the track if you're coming from the north.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #427
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

With a full "super moon" approaching I decide to take one of my regular rides and make it more interesting. I really enjoy night rides and frequently find myself coming home from the Mt. Hamilton area after dark. This ride will be a little different as I've been wanting to do some late night photography at the observatory, and with sunset still being 8pm or so this could turn into a late one.

No sense hitting the road to early, but I've always got time for a late lunch/early dinner at The Junction in the San Antone Valley. Besides all of the bikes and great food you never know what you'll see pull in.
Sunday I saw this.

Now I'm not a car guy at all, but this was pretty cool in a Mad Max sort of way. The owner told me it was a '30 Model A cab with a Buick hood on a motorhome chassis with a flat bed off a pickup truck. And by all means don't forget the added touch of Zebra seat covers.

Again I'll skip the description of riding hairpin turns on semi broken concrete up and down the mountain numerous times looking for where I wanted to be to watch this big "supermoon" rise. I'll say it again, photography has helped me see so many things in a new light, here's a road I've ridden hundreds of times but tonight I have a unique goal and I'm seeing details I've never noticed before.

So here comes the big truth: the shot I was trying to get, well I was in the wrong spot. It happens. Doesn't matter the pursuit is the passion and I'm out riding my bike on a perfect night.

I did however get some pretty cool shots at the observatory itself.

Surreal scenes in the full moonlight, how can you not stop and enjoy the moment. No hurry here.

I did get to see the moonrise a second time in one night

The main observatory and surrounding buildings. The glow is from the Bay Area on the other side of the hill. I'll be going home the other direction.....away from the crowd.

It was getting close to midnight as I left the top of the mountain. The San Antone Valley was so desolate and lit up like day from the moon I needed to stop for awhile to take it all in.

You know that you really enjoy a bike when it's after midnight, with a couple hours ride ahead of you and you STILL are glad to be out riding on the bike. Life is good.

The rest of the ride home was just smooth sailing straightening out corners. Abundant wildlife scurries from the road in front, and I like that sort of thing. This is one of only two places I've seen a Mountain Lion in the wild, but like most wildlife they are gone in a flash. Photos are out of the question.

Then a peculiar thing happened. Something that could only happen in Del Puerto Canyon at 1 AM. A furry critter was in the road, except it didn't move. It was alive, just standing there, dazed. I was pretty sure it was a grey fox. Enough time to do a quick U-turn and put it in my headlights. Now the creature moved. Slowly, not like it was injured, but like it didn't care, to the edge of the road.

This was a photographers dream as it didn't seem to mind me using my motorcycles headlamp like studio lighting. This must be what it is like when the safari guys are filming a hunting lion and the lion doesn't care. (o.k., maybe not that exotic but let me enjoy it!) The animal would look up walk a few feet and sit down. Something was very wrong but I couldn't tell, no obvious injury, I was wondering if a rattler might have got him. I'll never know. I even felt sorry for the thing, but what am I going to do, pet it? It's not a kitty cat.

Looking back on it I'm not sure if that's a Fox or small Coyote. Either way there was a strange calmness, almost eerie, out there in the canyon as we watched each other. Finally it scurried off into the brush and I rolled down the road towards home.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #428
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 789
Dave, as usual incredible photography. Thank you.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #429
jfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
This thread never dissapoints!

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:45 PM   #430
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
Incredible. It's great that you went to shoot one thing but when it didn't turn out you found a number of other opportunities that came out fantastic.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #431
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,305
Wow!

I must have just missed you at the Junction on Sunday- only stayed a couple minutes- as I went up and over on to Alice's for a bit.

I've been a bad monkey in years passed and taken some late night shots from right up at the observatory (don't know how I didn't get caught). These are jus cheesy point and shoot shots looking down to San Jose:

Old 08-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #432
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
This thread never dissapoints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Incredible. It's great that you went to shoot one thing but when it didn't turn out you found a number of other opportunities that came out fantastic.
That's half of the fun! Areas I'm familiar with I've always got ideas in my head just waiting for the right time, this night was the right time for a number of those. One other thing I've learned, and that's not to be to headstrong with a plan, if I see something unexpected that looks good that moment don't pass it up thinking there will be something better somewhere else.

Funny but that's how I live the rest of my life......took me awhile to apply it to photography though

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Wow!

I must have just missed you at the Junction on Sunday- only stayed a couple minutes-

I've been a bad monkey in years passed and taken some late night shots from right up at the observatory (don't know how I didn't get caught).

I didn't get there until mid afternoon, but you know my regular spot

I don't think they are to strict up there with that, as long as you don't shine lights all around and make noise I don't think they will hassle you. I even talked to one of the observatory guys Sunday night who was pleasant and thought what I was doing was interesting. Funny, a guy who uses giant telescopes to explore uncharted places in outer space thought my little camera on a tripod was interesting

Old 08-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #433
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,903
>"The animal would look up walk a few feet and sit down. Something was very wrong but I couldn't tell, no obvious injury, I was wondering if a rattler might have got him."

Fox. (IMHO) Probably Rabies.
If you've seen a fox/skunk/coyote with terminal rabies...
they walk like they are drunk, few steps, weave, lay down, few more steps.

If you have a gun, drop them, dig and bury or burn the carcass.
Otherwise, stay away from them.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #434
homere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
WOW, Dave , more great pictures !!!!!!! Beautiful stuff,
homere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #435
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Probably Rabies.
If you've seen a fox/skunk/coyote with terminal rabies...
they walk like they are drunk, few steps, weave, lay down, few more steps.

If you have a gun, drop them, dig and bury or burn the carcass.
Otherwise, stay away from them.
I've never observed an animal with rabies, that I know of, outside of "Old Yeller", but your description sounds about right on the money. Wow.

I generally don't carry unless I'm staying somewhere overnight, so that option was out. I suppose I should have used more caution. Anyway, all's well that ends well, got a cool photo and I'm still rabies free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homere View Post
WOW, Dave , more great pictures !!!!!!! Beautiful stuff,

Right on, enjoy the ride!