Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #31
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,666
How about some fast photos

Decided to watch other riders risk their neck this weekend

I've been meaning to try my hand at some motorsports photography, and man it's a different discipline for certain. Spent Sunday at Sears Point watching some local club races. The AFM is where I spent my time roadracing and now it's fun going back and enjoying the action and reconnecting with friends.

If any of you haven't been to one of these events it's really quite a show, the fast riders are turning pro times and competition on par with many AMA races and the Novice class guys will often do things you'd NEVER see a pro try

Thought I'd share a few of my favorite photos from the day.

Nobody told this guy you can't roadrace a dirt bike

Desert Dave screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 06:24 PM
Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:05 AM   #32
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,034
Gee, sorry you punched a hole in the big girl. Glad you got out of there. I thought those trails were for hiking. I think the PCT goes right through there past Fallen Leaf to Donner Pass.

Road racing has been a part of our family too.

#1 son 2004 Loudon:

#2 son 2011 NJMP:

The sport is too dangerous, though. If you want to win you are eventually going to get hurt.

#1 son recently decided to try a little hobby racing at something he's never experienced, so he started training last November and bought his bike for the event last April. The Mexican 1000 finish in Los Cabos:

His Co-rider:

Top results, but rode the last 80 miles with a broked right wrist. Got the truck back to Phoenix and I flew out to drive it home while son flew home to his bone doctor to get plated. Dang!

They should just get dual sport and go touring like their old man...

Keep her coming. Great thread. Diverse thread.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #33
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah;19075629
#1 son 2004 Loudon:
[IMG
http://pantah.smugmug.com/Other/Gus-Race/20040427A014/25208867_vp3VY-M.jpg[/IMG]

Fantastic Photo! Did you take that or did you purchase from a trackside photog? Either way I love the composition

Quote:
The sport is too dangerous, though. If you want to win you are eventually going to get hurt.
Well of course That's one of the reasons I no longer compete, at some point I got tired of going to the hospital, but at another point in my life that didn't matter a bit. Sometimes I wish I still had that drive but most of the time I'm fine with it being part of my past. Besides I now have the time and money to explorer other interests that I didn't when racing dominated my life.

Quote:
Keep her coming. Great thread. Diverse thread.
I figure this thread will eventually include about everything we would talk about at any local moto hangout, and that's a two way street, glad you added your own perspective

Old 07-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #34
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,034
Hi Desert Dave - That race photo was taken by John Owens of Cambridge, MA. He's taken a lot of shots of my boys over the years. He normally shoots products for ad companies but likes motor sports as well. He was a TZ 250 racer back in the day. That particular image was taken at Loudon's turn 9 with a remote camera planted downslope of the apex. The riders are about to flip over for a right turn at the bottom of a hill.

It's my fave so I share it a lot.

This is another one I am fond of. Virginia International the very first race for motorcycles after a really nice makeover. 2001 maybe? Formula USA event. I think it's turn 3. He was fast in practice so I hired a photographer. The guy asked, "what's his number?". I said; "it's #30, but don't worry you won't miss him. He'll be in front." A rare moment of bravado, but it turned out.

I recognize Chris Siglin and Brian Parriott in your AFM images. I am a big Parriott fan when he surfaces. Not too often these days.

Pantah screwed with this post 07-08-2012 at 08:06 PM
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #35
Armweak13
Supermoto wannabe

Oddometer: 4
Thanks for the GREAT pics! I work in Tracy and live over in Escalon, i definitely recognize your locations, i think i even recognize that levee pic up near Holt! Lol

I grew up out here in the valley and always took it for granted, but recently I too have begun to realize we are very lucky to have such good riding areas within just a few hours drive: Ebbets Pass, Sonora Pass, Corral Hollow Road, Morgan Territory Road, SR-1, Mt Diablo, etc., not to mention the fantastic off-road opportunities just up the hills in the sierra's. I too always make sure i have my camera with me, i've seen some amazing views WAY back in the sierras. I'm sure you can relate :)

Armweak13 screwed with this post 07-08-2012 at 04:36 PM
Armweak13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #36
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 59,592
Nice stuff, DD! You've come a long way since the old KLR days.

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #37
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I am a big Parriott fan when he surfaces. Not too often these days.
Yeah He's a joy to watch, always on the edge. Back in about '98 I bought his F3 from him when he was done with it, knowing the kind of lap times it was capable of with him on it made a benchmark for me to shoot for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armweak13 View Post
I work in Tracy and live over in Escalon, i definitely recognize your locations, i think i even recognize that levee pic up near Holt! Lol

I grew up out here in the valley and always took it for granted, but recently I too have begun to realize we are very lucky to have such good riding areas within just a few hours drive:...... i've seen some amazing views WAY back in the sierras. I'm sure you can relate :)
Yes I can relate That levee pic is my spot for when I just absolutely have to get a little sideways on a moments notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
You've come a long way since the old KLR days.
Maybe, but then sometimes I feel like I'm going backwards

Old 08-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #38
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Volcanoes & Water, my take on Lassen Park and Burney falls

It's funny how things work out. I've been wanting to get back up to Lassen National Park and really explore the place closer. I've been through there a dozen or so times but its always been just riding through. Sure, I'd stop and see the spots right on the road, but I don't think I've ever been in the park for more than a few hours at most, usually a lot less. I just don't feel like I've really experienced a place unless I've witnessed a sunset or sunrise there.

Just North of Lassen is Burney Falls, another place on my list to see. Again, I've been within a few miles of it numerous times but for some reason I was always rushing and thought I didn't have time to stop, and I'm kind of glad I didn't as I probably wouldn't have given it the time it deserves. I've known about it since I was a teenager as I had some friends who spent a week there every summer. I was often invited but just never made it. Through the miracle of Facebook I've recently reconnected with these same friends, and now they are taking their kids up to Burney for a week every summer. I was once again invited, and this time I didn't hesitate to say I'll be there. After twenty something years the time has finally come.

Time to ride. Four days exploring a route that not long ago I would have done in a day or two. I'm hoping to get more out of it this time. Thursday morning I'm on the road early, headed north I'm making time straight up the central valley. Just in time to be in the middle of the Sacramento commute, trying my patience a little it was just enough to remind me of why I needed to get away.... instant attitude change. In no time I was in Oroville, about to travel the Feather River Canyon. I figured if I was at work I'd be taking break right about now, man I love riding on weekdays.

The feather River Canyon is a marvel of nature and engineering. Railroad buffs will love all of the trestles crossing the river numerous times, and the many hydro electric projects have an amazing system of dams on the river. Gaining elevation slowly one of the first views to catch my eye is where the highway crosses the river with the railroad crossing below.

I couldn't decide which photo I like better so you're stuck looking at both of them.

Closer to the River, every bend opens up into new views. I was set on getting to Lassen by mid day but I had to stop a few times, I really think I'll come back in the fall and spend an entire day just trippin this canyon.

This time the railroad crosses over the highway.

Made a quick stop in Mineral for lunch, and I purchased a room for the evening. I was less than 10 miles from the park, not a bad base for the next day.

Entering the park one is immediately greeted with a perfect set of corners, probably some of my favorite in any national park. Tight enough to do the full tilt boogie, smooth enough from lack of use, and lonely enough that law enforcement is not breathing down your neck. If this doesn't make you lean a little just looking at it I'd have to question if you really even ride.

Soon I'm at the trailhead for Bumpass Hell, one of the things that was a must do for this ride. A 3 mile hike round trip I've always passed, but have always been intrigued by, I'm finally going to do it. In the parking area I quickly do something very UN- ADV and change into some hiking boots and shorts, after years of changing clothes in the pits of the racetrack I'm not really shy, and I thought it was kind of funny watching people look away a bit embarrassed as I sat there in my skivies

Yep, that's me on the trail to Bumpass Hell. Note that I did wear my Touratech cap, so this is still officially moto related.

As I round a bend for the final descent into Hell, I see the most amazing overview of the place.

I can only imagine what the early explorers thought. Reading into history I saw where easterners thought the stories of this place where water and mud boils,with steam vents and the overwhelming smell of sulfur, were folklore like dragons at sea. The place is named after Mr. Bumpass who fell through the crust into boiling mud and lost a leg due to the severe burns, can you possibly think of more irony than a man named "Bumpass" doing this, except maybe if there was a Mr. "Falls into boiling mud"? These are the strange thoughts I have as I hike.

Looking back up the hill I just hiked down.

Yes, that mud is boiling.

I should have brought some Top Ramen.

From one of the observation areas there was a closed trail with a sign saying it was a federal offense to go past the sign. Didn't take me long going back up the main trail to figure out I could walk down without "seeing" the sign. The condition of this old footbridge is probably part of the reason, and let me tell you, that standing on it you better watch your step. Hey, I'm not out crashing bikes this day so lets just call it adventure photography, O.K.?

After a good 4 hours of enjoying the moment I begin the hike back up. Most folks are long gone as the sun is getting low, and the peacefulness of the trail is just what I was there for. Just off the trail this scene sums up how I was feeling as the air was getting cool and night was getting closer.

I'd been watching the clouds form all afternoon setting up what I hoped was the perfect scene I needed for my sunset photo.

Back on the bike I knew where I wanted to be at sunset, but I had a little time and felt like a quick ride so I enjoyed the evening air as I went for a run to the north end of the park. Late day light is always spectacular, had to make a quick stop here and take it all in.

On to my sunset spot.

Some memories in life are etched into our mind, and sometimes we're lucky enough to realize that while we are experiencing the moment. This was one of those moments for me. Not a soul in sight as I sat and watched the sky change colors over Helen Lake with Lassen Peak behind it.. These are the moments I live for.

Well after dark I just sat there watching the stars come out. It was really hard to leave, so I didn't for quite awhile. On the bike the road was all mine, I was getting good use out of the Baja Design LED lights to see through the corners. those suckers are so bright I think I stunned the largest Mountain Lion I'd ever seen as it was in the road in front of me, the big cat looked a bit dazed at it was maybe seeing purple spots stumbling back into the bushes.

Friday morning had me back in the park at early light.

Stopped by the Sulfur Works, interesting thermal activity, right next to the road. More boiling water/mud.

This stuff is not just bubbling, it's like a pot on top of the stove on high. I knew some of you would think I'm full of it so I tried to capture a little on video just so you could see. This is the second time I've done video with this camera, and both examples are in this thread, maybe soon I'll take a minute to learn how to do a better job.

One of the many meadows in the park

Leaving the park around mid day Burney is not that far away. A side attraction I'd seen on the map was listed as the Subway Lava Tubes. The map wasn't clear which highway to use to access them so of course I chose the wrong one first, after turning around I noticed a depression in the volcanic terrain, something I could only see because I was standing on the pegs. Pulling over and walking into the tress I see this.

Not sure what to make of it, looks like a short cave in a small crater, but not much more so I opt not to climb down the 10 foot walls to explore. Interesting. I ride on. Finally I find the official parking listed as a National Forest site and proceed to read about these lava tubes I was about to experience. Turns out this Lava Tube had two cave ins about 1/4 mile apart, which left a nice cave to walk through.

The entrance is a bit ominous.

If you're ever riding through on a hot day this is the place to stop as it's like a refrigerator in there, the temperature drops and it gets DARK. I even stopped once in the middle and turned off my flashlight just to experience seeing nothing. Made me think how much fun it would be to go down there with a mask and stand in a corner, not moving, just waiting for some kid to shine his light across me.

There are different "rooms" that open up with names like Lucifers Cul de sac....I'm not making this stuff up.

On to Burney Falls. I arrive mid afternoon and check into my "rustic" cabin, this would be home for the night. Can you tell I'm getting softer? Seriously , if I'm going to sleep in the dirt it's only so I can wake up miles away from seeing another person in the wilderness, if I'm in a sea of tents I'll take the comfort given the choice.

Off to see the falls. I spent hours there in the evening as well as a 6 am hike. This is the wonder that is Burney Falls.

If you notice, only some of the water is coming over the top from the river, the rest is coming straight out the porous rock from a spring inside the hill. One of the most unique waterfalls I've ever seen, and I live in a state with some awesome waterfalls.

one for the fishermen

First light from the upper observation area

Something magical about the early light

I spent Friday evening and Saturday morning reconnecting with old friends, something I should probably do more of . I originally thought I'd leave Saturday mid morning and maybe head up to Crater Lake or out to the coast, but I wound up hanging by Lake Britton all day with my friends. Next thing I know its 4pm and I'm just starting my ride. I like the feeling of not knowing where I'll be tonight, or exactly where I'm going right this minute. I kept thinking I should take a different route than I came up, but on the flip side I kept thinking I REALLY enjoy Lassen Park. There's no rule that says I can't go back the same way right? So that's what I did.

Got there just in time for some good light on the "Devastated Area", a big pile of rocks from the last explosion in the early 1900s.

It almost felt sad leaving the park that evening, wondering when I'll come back. But finally I feel like I really got to experience the place.

Desert Dave screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 06:13 PM
Old 08-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #39
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Gorgeous photos Desert Dave.
Your photography skills are truly grand! Looking forward to more. Black Rock Desert perhaps??
You can never go wrong visiting Lassen, it is beautiful year round. I love living here in Nor-Cal.
--subscribed--
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:29 AM   #40
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPillion View Post
Looking forward to more. Black Rock Desert perhaps??
You can never go wrong visiting Lassen, it is beautiful year round. I love living here in Nor-Cal.
Perhaps? Yes. I've got so many places I need to get back to and spend some time. I'm already thinking I need to go back to Burney sometime this fall as the colors change.

We share a lot of common ground, so I know my thread is like preaching to the choir

Old 08-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #41
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 3,977
Those pics....WOW.....just, WOW!!!
Old 08-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #42
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,054
Yep, what an awesome trip, awesome photos, great stuff....
benwiggin2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #43
chelo5sur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
really nice pics .
Thanks for sharing
chelo5sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #44
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,736
Beautiful Photograghy...

Awesome, Lassen Park is on my bucket list. I just picked up some old 1960's info on the park from my mother. A little outdated but thinking about a trip soon. Burney Falls, Special place for sure. My wife's last camping trip before she passed away 3 weeks later. I may never go back.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #45
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,661
Been thinking of exploring the Lassen area...this may push me over the edge

It looks like most of what you rode was paved--any idea what are the opportunities in the area for dirt riding? Since it's a NP, it would be like Death Valley where the constraints for off-pavement riding is licensed vehicle on roads only...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote