Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Ah, you got him all right!
OscarCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #452
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,706
Fall is finally here and the riding season has started!

Thought I'd spend the night in the Eastern Sierras and see if any colors were changing yet as it's been pretty warm still. Truthfully I didn't care if they were changing yet, just needed to get out of town for a minute and experience whatever was there. Took a couple photos to, so thought I'd share

Crossing Tioga Pass in the morning, the east side was really coming alive, somehow I managed to "waste" a few hours hanging out in the area.

The rocks were sprouting yellow stuff everywhere.

Mono Lake is something most people tend to photograph early or late and generally not with the boring weather I was stuck with this day. So I'm going to let you guys in on a little secret I'm still learning in photography, if it looks good just make something out of it. And while I often spend lots of effort to get the shot, being in the right place at the right time, sometimes the truth is much less glamorous. Like this for instance, I was in urgent need of a crapper and found one near the lake, not sure if it was my frame of mind being altered or just saw things from a different angle, but something from this perspective just seemed unique to me. So there ya go.

A quick side trip to Lundy was in order. Things were happening there as well.

Found a spot for my afternoon nap in a grove of Aspens. Prior in the week, for the first time in my life, I was called a tree hugger because I enjoy the fall colors. I didn't want to disappoint anybody.........

Something new for me on this ride as well. I finally broke down and bought a car phone. Oh, I guess it's called cell phone now....er smartphone :) Yeah, I resisted this long. I've actually been having fun exploring the limits of the built in camera. Don't think it will ever replace my "A" rig but it would be nice to know how to use it in a pinch if it's all I have. It's still just about finding the right light. Just as much fun is finding remote place that have internet access , and I'm sometimes surprised that I can be connected in places I usually go to be disconnected. No restaurant selfies for this guy....here was my Facebook status update for the day.......out doing MY thing.

And then I turned it back off.............

Plenty of undocumented wandering in the afternoon, stopping only when it felt right. And it felt right on my way up to Twin Lakes for sunset. Spending more time then anticipated at dinner in Bridgeport I was racing the light trying to get to the lake in time.....and I STILL have time to get off the beaten path

Twilight at the lake puts everything in perspective for me.

Chill time. Literally. Temps are dropping fast and I head down the hill back out into the desert. Now, this is the first time I've left Twin Lakes after dark, so I don't know if it's normal, or just this time of year, but there are some serious suicidal deer in herds on that road. Everybody says "I ride in deer country", I say it to. We all do. But this was serious, I felt uncomfortable going much over 30mph. Just a heads up for anyone going that way.

a Beautiful night with some Fall cool lures me to ride further into the desert.

Crossing state line well after dark I thought this lackluster welcome sign on a lonely highway would make a great location for a UFO spotting photo. Didn't spot any UFOs but I did make internet connection. I had to laugh at myself, crap I'm like a 14 year old girl with this thing. "What are you wearing to the party??" Well, not that bad. I'm thinking I might start a collection of lonely place "check ins"

So now I'm feeling really adventurous and ride out of cell coverage area (what a bad ass) looking for some night photo ops.

Add this to the "Strange things you see in the desert" file.

So I'm walking through the desert sage and I see a glow in the bushes. I have to find out what it is and I stumble on this, a memorial of sorts, lit by solar lights. Not sure I'll ever know the story, but it made for a good subject.

While I was setting up the photo I heard coyotes call out to others that returned the call from another direction, and shortly after a third set calls out from close behind me....and I thought I was all alone. Love this stuff. Really, this is what I live for.

Day two was more riding/less photo. I love the people I meet on the road while riding solo. The Italian in the states for two weeks re-tracing every location from his favorite westerns (who schooled me on why John Wayne is more of a man the Clint Eastwood). The Germans on rented Harleys who thought our speed limits were ridiculous and asked me about how bad fines were for crossing over the double yellow. To which I pondered if they would send a citation to Germany.....enough reason for these guys go for it. Running into ADV inmate "Kurt" in Bridgeport, who I first met miles in on dirt road in the middle of nowhere forest at the top of Calaveras Dome (we really run into each other in strange places). And the British couple who made great company for a little while near Sonora Pass at one of my "secret spots" where they happened to stop for a picnic, while I was in the creek doing some photography.

And by "in the creek" I literally was. One more reason photography is better on a motorcycle, motorcycle boots! I took advantage of very low water levels to hike right up the middle of this creek, with the water at the brim of my boots at times, and the Sidis again passed my water test.
Here's a couple of shots from angles I've never done before at a familiar stop. Yeah, this is the Enjoying the moment thing again.

As long as were looking at signs of fall here's a few from my local hangout. I always know when the Tarantulas come out it means cool weather and empty roads are here. That and I'm intrigued by the guys.

Reason #871 why I ride alone: "Sees big spider in road at night and does U-turn"

So I finally got the guts to do this.

Maybe someday without the glove. I've slid on asphalt @ over 100mph with Alpinestar gloves, I figure they should be able to protect me just fine from these guys

And one more shot from some of my "High speed Tarantula Hunting"

Desert Dave screwed with this post 10-14-2014 at 08:45 PM
Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #453
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Top shelf as always

I would love to pick your brain one day. Camera skills are amazing.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #454
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Excellent pics!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:05 AM   #455
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 788
Beautiful... got to get back this area. Maybe next week.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:59 AM   #456
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,891
Funny the Trantula story,I do u turns for critters too,gonna have to try the gloved one trick,I think with most critters if they don't feel threatened they don't mind a little interaction.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #457
SparkyL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Another Stellar Batch

Wow Double D! Thanks. My cubicle is much brighter now!!
Old 10-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #458
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,543
Great update, especially the night shots.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #459
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Top shelf as always

I would love to pick your brain one day. Camera skills are amazing.
Anytime. I can talk cameras/photography almost as long as motorcycles....and that's awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Excellent pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
Beautiful... got to get back this area. Maybe next week.
Sooner than later, why wait? Love these precious weeks as any good storm and that could be it for the year. ......."Just one more" I think each time

Old 10-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #460
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Funny the Trantula story,I do u turns for critters too,gonna have to try the gloved one trick,I think with most critters if they don't feel threatened they don't mind a little interaction.
I've been told they won't bite if handled gently, and it's probably true. But I'll still let you go first

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyL View Post
Wow Double D! Thanks. My cubicle is much brighter now!!
Then my job is done!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Great update, especially the night shots.
Thanks Bob. I agree night shots are magical.

Here's one I'll throw in from last week, not on a ride, but actually on my commute to work at about 3 AM. Had to get my take on the "bloody" lunar eclipse.

Photography is far less fun when I have to constantly check my watch to make sure I get to work on time. I hate schedules

Old 10-15-2014, 07:01 PM   #461
steve3b3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Dave,

I've got a new desktop background, thanks to you!

Steve
steve3b3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:55 AM   #462
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve3b3 View Post
Dave,

I've got a new desktop background, thanks to you!

Steve
Cool! I went through a bit of effort to get to that spot so I'm glad you enjoy it

Old 10-18-2014, 08:57 PM   #463
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,891
We just got back from a bit of wandering with Tahoe being the turn around point and the fall colors and air were great,wish we'd made it over to 395, next time.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #464
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post

Found a spot for my afternoon nap in a grove of Aspens.
Ha! Man after my own heart ... ride to nap, nap to ride!

Be interested to see some of your smart phone pics ... always fun when
this thread pops back up ...

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #465
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
We just got back from a bit of wandering with Tahoe being the turn around point and the fall colors and air were great,wish we'd made it over to 395, next time.
As long as next time is THIS time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Ha! Man after my own heart ... ride to nap, nap to ride!

Be interested to see some of your smart phone pics ... always fun when
this thread pops back up ...

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
About 6 or 7 years ago I discovered the wonders of an afternoon nap on a ride. Not only does it feel great to close your eyes in the most peaceful places in the world, but even 20 minutes will make you feel like a new man. Ready to charge in head first at a point in the ride that I might otherwise be winding down

Still have a LOT to learn with the smartphone, and I only get excited about it on occasion. I have been having fun getting some "behind the scenes" shots with it when I have my Nikon set up for something else, good memories of the day for me. Especially in good, but challenging light, to push the limits of the phone. In easy light it could pass for a lot of what I need to do.

I think they will improve with time, but here's a couple I tried:

Capturing the last photo from the report

And here's one from this last Friday evening where I was all set up near Glacier Pt

And just because you know I love Yosemite, here's one from my Nikon last Friday that I love, after hiking up to the top of Sentinel Dome. Looking south east off the Dome. A reminder of how small we are, and why I go to places like this.