Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2014, 02:59 AM   #451
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 2,019
Funny the Trantula story,I do u turns for critters too,gonna have to try the gloved one trick,I think with most critters if they don't feel threatened they don't mind a little interaction.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #452
SparkyL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Another Stellar Batch

Wow Double D! Thanks. My cubicle is much brighter now!!
Old 10-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #453
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,657
Great update, especially the night shots.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #454
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Top shelf as always

I would love to pick your brain one day. Camera skills are amazing.
Anytime. I can talk cameras/photography almost as long as motorcycles....and that's awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Excellent pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
Beautiful... got to get back this area. Maybe next week.
Sooner than later, why wait? Love these precious weeks as any good storm and that could be it for the year. ......."Just one more" I think each time

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #455
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Funny the Trantula story,I do u turns for critters too,gonna have to try the gloved one trick,I think with most critters if they don't feel threatened they don't mind a little interaction.
I've been told they won't bite if handled gently, and it's probably true. But I'll still let you go first

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyL View Post
Wow Double D! Thanks. My cubicle is much brighter now!!
Then my job is done!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Great update, especially the night shots.
Thanks Bob. I agree night shots are magical.

Here's one I'll throw in from last week, not on a ride, but actually on my commute to work at about 3 AM. Had to get my take on the "bloody" lunar eclipse.

Photography is far less fun when I have to constantly check my watch to make sure I get to work on time. I hate schedules

Old 10-15-2014, 06:01 PM   #456
steve3b3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Dave,

I've got a new desktop background, thanks to you!

Steve
steve3b3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:55 AM   #457
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve3b3 View Post
Dave,

I've got a new desktop background, thanks to you!

Steve
Cool! I went through a bit of effort to get to that spot so I'm glad you enjoy it

Old 10-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #458
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 2,019
We just got back from a bit of wandering with Tahoe being the turn around point and the fall colors and air were great,wish we'd made it over to 395, next time.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #459
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post

Found a spot for my afternoon nap in a grove of Aspens.
Ha! Man after my own heart ... ride to nap, nap to ride!

Be interested to see some of your smart phone pics ... always fun when
this thread pops back up ...

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #460
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
We just got back from a bit of wandering with Tahoe being the turn around point and the fall colors and air were great,wish we'd made it over to 395, next time.
As long as next time is THIS time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Ha! Man after my own heart ... ride to nap, nap to ride!

Be interested to see some of your smart phone pics ... always fun when
this thread pops back up ...

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
About 6 or 7 years ago I discovered the wonders of an afternoon nap on a ride. Not only does it feel great to close your eyes in the most peaceful places in the world, but even 20 minutes will make you feel like a new man. Ready to charge in head first at a point in the ride that I might otherwise be winding down

Still have a LOT to learn with the smartphone, and I only get excited about it on occasion. I have been having fun getting some "behind the scenes" shots with it when I have my Nikon set up for something else, good memories of the day for me. Especially in good, but challenging light, to push the limits of the phone. In easy light it could pass for a lot of what I need to do.

I think they will improve with time, but here's a couple I tried:

Capturing the last photo from the report

And here's one from this last Friday evening where I was all set up near Glacier Pt

And just because you know I love Yosemite, here's one from my Nikon last Friday that I love, after hiking up to the top of Sentinel Dome. Looking south east off the Dome. A reminder of how small we are, and why I go to places like this.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:17 AM   #461
CutterBill
I hate motorcycles

Oddometer: 43
Dave, great RR and even better pics. I'm sort of close to the same area (High Desert). As I'm just getting back into riding after an 18 year break, I'm going to use this report to plan out some rides. Thanks for the ideas.
Bill
CutterBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #462
Sregor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
^^^^ What he said, except I'm not nearly as close. I look forward to each installment and thanks for sharing! Makes me want to suck it up and lug the bigger camera around, though my results would still pale in comparison to your work. Awesome stuff!

Sregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #463
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 11,201
great shots as always!!!

and I had to laugh about the phone.... finally got a "smart phone" myself. And have it turned off most of the time
Old 11-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #464
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Picking up where I left off, I was just starting to see signs of Fall in the local hills, that is big, horny tarantulas out doing their thing. Now with the temps dropping Fall is here for real and I spent the last two weekends riding behind Mt. Hamilton and the San Antonio Valley. Once again I amaze myself how I can turn 200 miles into a 10-12+ hour day but I do.

The last two weekends the weather was similar, stormy on Saturday and clear blue skies on Sunday. You guys know by now which day I chose to ride both weekends. :) Again I'm going to preach for a minute, and not try to offend anyone, but I see tons of "adventure" bikes out here when the weather isn't intimidating, but when it gets interesting I'm often solo on the mountain. These days make the best memories, why not put yourself smack in the middle of them as often as possible? Yeah maybe not tearing up single track adventure, but a little wet cold and slippery make me feel like I'm doing something.

So I saw things I'll always remember, and I always find myself fortunate that I can enjoy something so much that is this simple and this close to home. So the following is a semi random collection of scenes that I'll remember, with maybe some of my usual ramblings , that I collected out there the last two Saturdays.

Fall out there is far more subtle than say blazing aspens in the Eastern Sierras, the colors are less and further in between, but slow down a little (you know who you are!) and there's some amazing sights.

Some color in the canyon. Sometimes less is more, like right here.

A mild example of what one can expect in the canyon after a rain.

While some may whine about the road not being clear, I love this stuff...it gives the road character. Besides it gives me a chance to try out the "20" in my supposed 80/20 tires for a few yards

The sun comes up late in the canyon.

If this type of photo doesn't make you lean a little in your chair then you aren't a rider.

Perfect, perfect day. The sport guys will never understand looking at anything other than apexes up here, so here's your chance to see what you are speeding past.

No caption for this one. I just like it.
(I do realize the irony of me saying "no caption" is a caption.

Even the wildlife look more alive with some red appearing in the valley.

The Troops lining up at dusk.

One wild pig that let me get surprisingly close before running off.

Maybe this is getting a little out there, but this photo tells the story of my day:

Went out to do some local storm chasing on the bike today, and yeah, got wet, saw cool clouds, tires slipped, ate a burger..... the usual stuff, had a lot of fun. However the type of shots I intended to get just didn't happen all day, but so much other stuff did. I love it when a plan falls apart.

This shot is a perfect example. There I was trying to force a landscape photo that just wasn't happening when I noticed this acorn stuck on a barb wire fence. Now I don't know about you, but I don't recall EVER seeing this before. What are the odds of this falling and sticking to a barb? I don't know, but I guess thousands(millions?) of these fall each season. I suppose with a mountain gust it could, but even then it would have to hit just right. Maybe somebody stuck it on there, it sounds like something I'd do, but this was in an area of next to no foot traffic.

Another mysterious sight that has now become the subject of my photography. A silly detail like this demanded all of my attention for a good 30-45 minutes. Between finding the right composition (and I'd be embarrassed to admit how many photos I took of an ACORN) and contemplating analogies of the scene that range from the philosophical seed that never had a chance to grow to something involving getting my nuts stuck on a barbed fence, I think I got a photo I like. Not even sure why. Is it the best photo of the day? Probably not, I'm sure it's not, but there is something there.

I realize I'm rambling. I told you this might get a little out there. This also might be deleted by morning.

A couple more shots from the east side of the mountain, a few miles from the top. For whatever reason this area seems so unique to me. I'll ride fast on the boring days to make it exciting. Something strange about the serenity of sitting next to a quiet road that many only see as a loud adrenaline rush. Yeah, good for the soul.

Any of you locals should really head up there soon. It's special this time of year. If you're local you already know this hidden gem of riding is centered around one of my favorite hang outs, The Junction. Always been a fan of the camaraderie between riders and ranchers out there, it's the real deal, no posers except maybe a few that pass through. This is where I'm going to give a shameless plug for them, not that I'm affiliated in any way other than staying well past my welcome and still feeling welcome, but if you haven't eaten there in the last year, the new owners have taken to food to a new level of incredible BBQ. And they're nice people. Stop by, maybe you'll see me sitting outside with an after meal cigar enjoying the moment Say "Hi"

Their iconic roadside sign has been photographed by others from every angle imaginable. I'd been waiting for the right moment to get my take on it for years. Think I waited long enough. Hope I captured the feeling of the place.

Both weeks I chased a storm back out Del Puerto canyon towards the central valley.

Exiting the canyon the contrast between the shadows I was riding in and the sky was unreal. The clouds looked like the sun even though it was to my back. Another "I feel small" pic. Note the large barn in the bottom of the photo, these wide open spaces just seem huge sometimes.

Waiting for those precious moments I live for paid off again. What can I say. I love this photo, but I think it doesn't capture the experience of what seemed like a giant wall of unreal red right in my face.

This photo right here is only possible because I really didn't feel like going home. Saturday night, excellent ride and sights all day. Perfect weather. What? Am I in a hurry to get back to my couch and make sure it's still o.k.?

Of course I'd like a good photo, but just standing out there watching the night sky in silence is worth hanging out for. I'd do it even if my camera wasn't with me. Really, that's what I used to do before I had the excuse of a "hobby"

Old 11-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #465
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutterBill View Post
Dave, great RR and even better pics. I'm sort of close to the same area (High Desert). As I'm just getting back into riding after an 18 year break, I'm going to use this report to plan out some rides. Thanks for the ideas.
Bill
Well don't PLAN to much....that will ruin it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregor View Post
^^^^ What he said, except I'm not nearly as close. I look forward to each installment and thanks for sharing! Makes me want to suck it up and lug the bigger camera around, though my results would still pale in comparison to your work. Awesome stuff!
Glad you're diggin it.

Don't worry about the bigger camera, any decent gear can do good if you have the enthusiasm. As far as you results "pale in comparison" don't sell yourself short. While a basic understanding of exposure and composition goes a long way, so many of the shots in this thread are just a result of being there. Period. The last sunset photo I posted in the previous post was so awesome that a decent P&S set to auto, pointed in the right direction would get some wonderful results. It's all about being there and having the opportunity. That's the fun part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
and I had to laugh about the phone.... finally got a "smart phone" myself. And have it turned off most of the time
You're better off, I'm very selective myself

I use it when it adds to my experience.....not when it distracts from the experience