User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Cindy's First Ride

Well, at least longer than a couple of hours! We decided to make her first long ride a three day jaunt up to visit friends of mine who are RV camping at Meeks Bay, Lake Tahoe. So the game plan was to ride, stop often, take lots of pictures, and introduce Cindy to the joys of long tours.

Thanks for coming along on the ride, and enjoy the pix too!

First, the Weapon of Choice: "Bikeopotamus," veteran of Mexico, Canada and the western United States....24,000 miles since April of last year!

Blasting out of So Cal, we zipped up CA 395 and decided to make our first stop in Randsburg, CA. This decrepit old town is a mining location. Lots of antiques, mine stuff, and colorful characters milling around. The temps were already in the high eighties, so some cold water was in order....

Faith in the local FD was high as well...

So, after a few more pix, we got on the road, eager for the cooler temps high speed riding brings!

Cindy said she was doing fine, so we lit the fires for the Owens Valley....the Ranch House Cafe in Olancha seemed like a good rest stop!

Over priced and under portioned, The Ranch House offers very good service and reasonable food. I guess restaurants that depend on a steady stream of tourists don't really need to make a impression or focus on repeat customers....Oh well

In keeping with our plan of lighter miles and more smiles for a new pillion, we made our stop for the evening in Independence, CA. "The Independence Inn," currently owned by Jim, is a jewel in the making...Clean and reasonable rates, plus Jim bakes every morning for his guests. Stop in and get a room here!

Soon, the thunderheads brewed up, and the temps dropped:

It was perfect for walking around town as the temps slid into the high 70's....

More later, as the ride nears the Sierras!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
SoCal Karl
Play Ball!!!

Oddometer: 40
Looking forward to the rest of your ride report. I too have traveled these roads and stopped at the same locations. Olancha... don't blink or you'll blow right by it. Independence is a nice old town that's great for a break. Safe travels.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, Karl,

More to come soon. I am glad you are enjoying reading our little ride tale. Nothing really special, but a nice weekend ride with Cindy, a very adventurous woman.

For me, I've always enjoyed the Eastern Sierra, and have ridden most of the roads in the area pretty extensively. Lots of lonely miles out there, don't you agree?

Cheers,
Steve in So Cal
Old 06-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Welcome back, everyone...pull up a chair for a few minutes and spend some time with Cindy and me on our first longer ride together...

Tonite we are in Independence, and since we got into town a little early, we decided to walk around and snap some pics. Here is a weird one of Bikeopotamus...

Here's another one...

Anyway, back on the road, eager to see more of the high Sierra! The temps begin to build earlier in the morning, and by 0900 it's easily in the low 90's. But, at least it's a dry heat! The mountains are spectacular, and the riding is great. Little traffic allows us to spur the big GSA into fairly high speed as the mountains roll by, each one even more expansive and magnificent than the next.

We rolled thru Bishop, and onto the Sherwin Grade. From here, the temps finally began to drop as Bikepotamus effortlessly hauled both of us over 7,000 of elevation. Shortly over the top of the grade, I lost the Camelbak. After stopping to walk back and pick it up, we continued onto the road to Convict Lake.

We continued to spin nicely up thru Lee Vining and past Bridgeport where we ran into the inevitable, which is road construction. Fortunately the temps were cool and the scenery was beautiful!

Cindy used her time wisely, checking her emails....managing a real estate office she owns from the High Sierra. Isn't technology great! She was still having fun, so I know she wasn't calling a taxi! Great job, Cindy!

Soon we flew into the Walker Valley and the Meadow Cliff restaurant for lunch. Great meal at a reasonable price! After lunch, we headed up CA 89 toward Monitor Pass. An absolutely stunning view!

Past Markleeville, a very cool little town in Alpine County, the scenery gets even better!

After a quick cool down here, and a few pics, we are off to Lake Tahoe! More later....

AdventurePoser screwed with this post 06-23-2012 at 05:12 PM
AdventurePoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,104
Grand daughters are great, eh?

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Grand daughters are great, eh?

You owe me a new MacBook Air screen. I was drinking a coke when reading your comment....
Old 06-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
BlueByU06
Ribbon Rider

Oddometer: 242
Cool pix.I was just there in the Grover Hot Springs SP in Markleeville last thursday- Monday. Isn't that area great to ride in?
2005 Klr 650
BlueByU06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Markleeville is a truly awesome little town....Alpine County has got some great scenery, roads, and interesting little restaurants, especially in Markleeville, the County Seat! Anyway, on we blasted on CA 89, taking great advantage of little traffic, great twists, and superb riding weather!

Well, we knew Lake Tahoe was on the horizon when we noticed the huge influx of traffic. Still, CA 89 was good as we danced through the curves, up to Inspiration Point and Emerald Bay. Not been to Lake Tahoe? When you come, make sure you pull off here for a few minutes and soak up the views...

And, in the end, it was all good! My friends welcomed us, we hung out for a couple of days, and then rode home! The way back was more challenging, with high winds and temps, but Cindy did a great job. When it was all over, I asked her, "So what did you think? Wanna do this again?" She looked me in the eye and said, "Absolutely!"

Next ride? Southwest Colorado, here we come!

Steve in So Cal
Old 06-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #9
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post

we continued onto the road to Convict Lake.

Great photo! You've inspired me.

Next time on 395 south (for me) I'm going to have to turn and go see it for myself. Enjoying the rest of the photos and your story to, but this one hit me

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Dave,

Definitely worth the two mile detour off US 395....In that same area, have you checked out the fish hatchery and the hot springs on the Owens River?

Cheers,
Steve