Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 06:08 AM   #76
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
I wondered the same. My only thought was luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairBear View Post
WoW! what's with all the birds in the rec room?
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #77
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,565
Fantastic reading.
It would be beyond my ability to cope with the crowds, let alone the pestering. I'll have to visit vicariously.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #78
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Beyond my ability to cope with the crowds also. At least I've learned what I DON'T want in a destination. Mongolia is appearing mighty appealing right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
Fantastic reading.
It would be beyond my ability to cope with the crowds, let alone the pestering. I'll have to visit vicariously.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #79
bokad OP
Difficult Child

18 July 2012
--------------
Aimere, Flores to Labuan Bajo.

The drive to Labuan Bajo is the pleasant curvy road that I remember. Beautiful and relaxing. It rains and gets so misty that I can barely see but I press on slowly. Need to get there tonight. The weather clears up. I almost flip the bike. Forgot that I don't have Anna's weight over there anymore and need to watch those right hand turns. Always a risk with a sidecar. I drink a bottle of water that smells like a lifelong smoker. Dad's mustache. Descending in to LBJ is steep and curvy. The rear (drum) brakes lock on but are fine again after a cool down.

A restaurant

A menu
Old 11-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #80
bokad OP
Difficult Child

19 July 2012
--------------
Labuan Bajo, Flores

Checked in to the harbor about the boat to Sulawesi. Actually it left yesterday but they assure me that for sure for sure another one will come in a week. LBJ isn't a bad place to kill some time. Some tourists, a few good restaurants, nice weather, and no bule bule bule bule yelling. I settle in but check on the status of my boat every day.

View from LBJ.

'
Means tire repair.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:04 AM   #81
RDT953
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Thanks

Great pics and a good honest RR. Love the adventure, not a Ural fan but a bike is a bike and you're living it while I'm reading about it. My time will come, thanks for the inspiration.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:03 AM   #82
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Thanks! I'm not a Ural fan either but I discovered that too late and it refuses to transform in to anything else. Is what it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT953 View Post
not a Ural fan but a bike is a bike and you're living it while I'm reading about it. My time will come, thanks for the inspiration.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:07 AM   #83
bokad OP
Difficult Child

23 July 2012
--------------
Labuan Bajo, Flores

It's time for a break. I'm going to get the bike to Sulawesi then fly out for a rest and to take care of some things. The boat is supposed to come tomorrow. I check in on at it the terminal. Yesterday everything was fine but today I get three different answers. None of them good. 'boat not coming this time, come next week', 'boat come but go another city', 'this boat not working for 3 months'.

Damn! After a week of waiting too. Nothing to do but go down to the harbor tomorrow morning (why 6am? why? why?) and see how it goes.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:20 AM   #84
bokad OP
Difficult Child

24 July 2012
--------------
Labuan Bajo, Flores

The desired boat did, of course, not arrive. I can't wait any longer though. There is another boat back towards Bali. It too is late but should be here in 12 hours. I hate back tracking but it seems like the only way.

Just kick back, sit in the sun and BS with the other tourists.

Eventually the local curious Georges show up. They are amazed by everything on the bike. Spare tire, kick start, trunk, headlights. Removing the tarp and showing the sidecar seat is like pulling a rabbit from a hat, a real magic trick. oooooh! They touch and fiddle with everything. They grab my helmet and shove it on their head.
Inevitably they start pushing the limits. "Show me picture your girlfriend"..."ooooh, show me more picture your girlfriend"...."oooh", etc..
And then on to "oooh, give me keys, I make test drive".
Seriously? Do these guys act like such idiots with their own people or only foreigners?

I go hide with some other foreigners. We discuss our encounters with the locals. Half of us think they are lovable idiots. The other half just think they are idiots. Not all of them of course, just too many. Mocking locals is always a solid tourist time killer. I suppose they do the same when visiting us. Those crazy Bules (white people) and their wacky Western ideas of personal space and consumerism!

The boat comes and it's going to be a 9 hour trip. Overnight and we should get there about 4am. I'm tired. I woke up at 5am after 4 hours of sleep. I try to sleep. Not possible. Indonesians have so much noise and other people around them all the time that I think quiet and personal space actually makes them uncomfortable. They sleep better with the noise. Several guys start blaring music from portable speakers then plop their head down beside it and go to sleep. No such luck for me.

Curious George

I think that's Obama

Mudflaps and work trucks are the only acceptable place to depict sexy women. Not on magazines. Not on billboards. But here, always.

Mud flaps and work trucks are the only acceptable place to depict sexy women. Not on magazines. Not on billboards. But here, always.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #85
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
just found this thread. Very interesting ride report, and will follow.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #86
Crash-n-Skid
WileeeCoyote

Oddometer: 33
Following

Enjoying this thread. Been following from the beginning. Keep it up!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #87
bokad OP
Difficult Child

25 July 2012
--------------
Sape, Sumbawa to Ubud, Bali

I'm impressed with this. In one long two day marathon without sleep I make it all the way from Labuan Bajo, Flores to Ubud, Bali. 3 ferry rides, 500km, 6 cups of instant noodles, one altercation, and a damn near collision with a very friendly cop, but I roll in to Ubud about 3am. I tried about 8 hotels but either the reception is closed or they are full. Ubud isn't really an all night town. I'm TIRED! I just find an empty looking corner to lean against and go to sleep.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #88
bokad OP
Difficult Child

26 July 2012
--------------
Ubud, Bali

I'm going to park the bike here while I'm out of country. I have a couple favorite restaurants and haunts in town, it's nice to be back. Way more crowded than it was 2 months ago. I can't believe so much time has passed.

Walking down street someone shouts my name. It's the dive master from Komodo that had quit his job and was one his way to Australia. What good luck and an excellent excuse for drink and dance.

Tomorrow is going to be the biggest cremation ceremony in a decade. A royal and a few locals. Unfortunately I won't get to see it. The preparations are on display though. They're going to put the body at the top of this ornate construction, march it down the street with 100 carriers then torch the whole shebang!

Cremation preparation

Cremation preparation

Cremation preparation
Old 11-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #89
bokad OP
Difficult Child

27 July 2012
--------------
Ubud, Bali

Last souvenir shopping before leaving the country (gotta take care of some real world stuff then come back). I'm set for halloween. I'm out!