Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #226
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,643
Is this where the ominous music starts playing?
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #227
WHYNOWTHEN OP
where are the pedals?

Oddometer: 566
Look Honey - cows!

Trail starting to get a little unused-looking.

See the trail?

Me neither!

Ah ha! Hear it is!

It gets better!

I was having an excellent adventure!

Should have packed a saw!

AND THEN.......

Old 05-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #228
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Eh? Holly Batman

Damn you call that trail............ I can barely walk thru those TRAIL
So you take a dirt nap Hope you not getting hurt to bad
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #229
WHYNOWTHEN OP
where are the pedals?

Before I get to the red stuff, I had been thinking how much I was enjoying my mini-Adventure bike. I had felt in the past that I didn't really go far enough to warrant having a 990. I felt that the bike should be busy riding around the world. The 530 on the other hand, is smaller, lighter, can go further, still carry a bunch of stuff, still rip past pirate-ships in the twisties, and added bonus - can take me anywhere I desire. I didn't get to anything that I didn't feel the bike could do.

If you are squeamish about blood, maybe skip the next post.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #230
WHYNOWTHEN OP
where are the pedals?

So I fall about 6 feet into the creek bed and stop my fall with the only exposed part of my body - my nose! It feels like someone smashed me in the face with a baseball bat. I don't have a mirror, or a riding buddy, to check out my face. I feel my nose and things don't feel very secure. I take a quick self portrait and examine the tiny little screen on the back of the camera.

Not too bad I guess. Ok keep going! get the bike out of the creek bed. Keep moving.

Ten minutes later I come to a fence with no gate. F**K!
I'm hot. I'm in pain. I'm in a hurry to get back to my wonderful wife who is going to help make everything right.

I ride along the fence to the right. No gates, no going under. I stall the bike and have a hard time getting it restarted. Get it turned around. Get old fence wire caught in rear wheel. Get back to the shade.

I don't like cutting fences. This time though, I felt that the straight line would be the fastest. Didn't want to go back up that canyon with my face the way it was. Time to get out the wire-cutters. Helmet off. Jacket off. Take a few more self portraits. Need to see how things are looking.

Feeling a little beat-down. Cut the lowest 2 strands of fence. Drag bike under.

Then repaired fence behind me. Got it nice and tight. Used some old barbed wire I found laying around.

Trail gets better. About 2 miles later I hit another fence. Same deal. No more pics. I'm tired and thirsty. Can't suck on my camelbac seeing as how my face hurts.

Two more miles and one more fence. Then another 4 miles and a locked gate. Tell myself its good that I'm not a wimp.

So 4 fences cut and repaired. I am sorry for the ranchers who I will probably never meet. I tried to do it as neatly as possible and make good repairs.

Finally, 25 miles later, I make it into V de G. Worn out! Rollergirl isn't at the first hotel. She isn't at the first coffee shop. She isn't at the gas station. Start to worry a little. Then I see my big dirty Dodge truck parked outside the 4th option of where we said we might meet up. My wife is horrified by the blood that has splattered on the inside of my visor. Sorry baby!

Load the bike in the truck, apologize for ruining the romantic weekend. Rollergirl drives me back to the border. Stop for a quick beer as I am pretty thirsty. Drive to the front of the border line. Nice Mexican guy lets the blood covered gringo-estupido in at the front of the line. Fastest border crossing ever.

Show up at Grossmont ER and get great service.

Didn't look quite so bad once I was cleaned up. 5 stitches to put my nostril back in place. Home by 1:30am on Sunday. Have a wonderful sleep-in.
Go wine tasting locally and end up at some funny looking BBQ restaurant on the 79 east of Temecula. Great food and wine.

Go for a quick ride Monday morning, and then head over to friends house for memorial day backyard BBQ.

Excellent weekend! Adventure, wine, food, wonderful wife, and awesome bike.

WHYNOWTHEN screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 12:43 PM
WHYNOWTHEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #231
traveltoad
Aaron S

Sorry I wasn't there with you on this trip buddy. I owe you at least one rescue. I'll be there next time.

Glad you are ok.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #232
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Ouch...

Hope you feel better. I am glad you are able to take the wife out for some quality time
Old 06-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #233
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,231
Dang Peter! Ya never think it will happen until it happens. Be careful brother. Yer not 19 anymore.
riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #234
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYNOWTHEN View Post
So I fall about 6 feet into the creek bed and stop my fall with the only exposed part of my body - my nose! It feels like someone smashed me in the face with a baseball bat. I don't have a mirror, or a riding buddy, to check out my face. I feel my nose and things don't feel very secure. I take a quick self portrait and examine the tiny little screen on the back of the camera.

Not too bad I guess. Ok keep going! get the bike out of the creek bed. Keep moving.

Ten minutes later I come to a fence with no gate. F**K!
I'm hot. I'm in pain. I'm in a hurry to get back to my wonderful wife who is going to help make everything right.

I ride along the fence to the right. No gates, no going under. I stall the bike and have a hard time getting it restarted. Get it turned around. Get old fence wire caught in rear wheel. Get back to the shade.

I don't like cutting fences. This time though, I felt that the straight line would be the fastest. Didn't want to go back up that canyon with my face the way it was. Time to get out the wire-cutters. Helmet off. Jacket off. Take a few more self portraits. Need to see how things are looking.

Feeling a little beat-down. Cut the lowest 2 strands of fence. Drag bike under.

Then repaired fence behind me. Got it nice and tight. Used some old barbed wire I found laying around.

Trail gets better. About 2 miles later I hit another fence. Same deal. No more pics. I'm tired and thirsty. Can't suck on my camelbac seeing as how my face hurts.

Two more miles and one more fence. Then another 4 miles and a locked gate. Tell myself its good that I'm not a wimp.

So 4 fences cut and repaired. I am sorry for the ranchers who I will probably never meet. I tried to do it as neatly as possible and make good repairs.

Finally, 25 miles later, I make it into V de G. Worn out! Rollergirl isn't at the first hotel. She isn't at the first coffee shop. She isn't at the gas station. Start to worry a little. Then I see my big dirty Dodge truck parked outside the 4th option of where we said we might meet up. My wife is horrified by the blood that has splattered on the inside of my visor. Sorry baby!

Load the bike in the truck, apologize for ruining the romantic weekend. Rollergirl drives me back to the border. Stop for a quick beer as I am pretty thirsty. Drive to the front of the border line. Nice Mexican guy lets the blood covered gringo-estupido in at the front of the line. Fastest border crossing ever.

Show up at Grossmont ER and get great service.

Didn't look quite so bad once I was cleaned up. 4 stitches to put my nostril back in place. Home by 1:30am on Sunday. Have a wonderful sleep-in.
Go wine tasting locally and end up at some funny looking BBQ restaurant on the 79 east of Temecula. Great food and wine.

Go for a quick ride Monday morning, and then head over to friends house for memorial day backyard BBQ.

Excellent weekend! Adventure, wine, food, wonderful wife, and awesome bike.
You did a damn good job looking out for the ranchers while fetchin' yer ass home! That's was a lotta extra work I'd bet you didn't feel like doing at the time. Te respeto, Amigo!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #235
WHYNOWTHEN OP
where are the pedals?

Feeling better now. Stitches are out. Promised Rollergirl I would take it easier this weekend.

I mostly did take things a bit easier.

Look Honey, flowers!

Look Honey, a chicken-rock!

This can be the I-love-gates post.

Noticed that the bike wasn't handling too well. Assumed it was because I had only bought one pannier, and mounted it on top of the rack. Then I hit a stretch of asphalt and thought I had a flat rear. Stopped and checked. All good. Rode further. Still wobbly in the rear. Stopped under a nice tree to have a better look. Found the bearing on the drive side was completely gone.
Hmmmmm. Good thing I brought a spare bike this time! Headed slowly for the pre-arranged restaurant. My wonderful wife still cannot ride because of her shoulder. This must be driving her crazy, but she has time for studying for her Master's degree.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #236
WHYNOWTHEN OP
where are the pedals?

Good wine. Good cheese. Good food. Really bad mattress in the cheap hotel.

Hooray for spare bikes!

Hooray for gates!

Boooo for broken kick-stands!

This is for TravelToad and other faithful followers:

New canyon with new-to-me trails.

I can help with gas!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:56 AM   #237
traveltoad
Aaron S

Looks like we will have a weekend of long days, and sleeping in the dirt in our riding gear.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #238
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Cool.....

Glad to see you back on the saddle so soon always enjoy your RR
Old 06-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #239
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,777
Repairing the fences while your hurting That's what I call a stand up guy & a credit to our sport
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #240
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by az tom View Post
repairing the fences while your hurting that's what i call a stand up guy & a credit to our sport
+1
riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote