WHYNOWTHEN OP
where are the pedals?

Oddometer: 562
Thanks guys!
Old 07-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #242
WHYNOWTHEN OP
where are the pedals?

No pics today, just some rambling thoughts about arrogance and lack of preparation.

Did an organised ride in Big Bear 2 weekends ago. It was a 200 mile trail ride. Cost $95! Planned a few weeks in advance to do it with Ted and TravelToad. Ride was supposed to start 6am Saturday. Ted went up the night before, and TT showed up at about 5:30 Sat. morning. I was a little late.

Friday afternoon, I had been doing a little swapping around of parts (license plate, tank, lights) between bikes and messed a few things up with a couple of stripped bolts. I tried to bail on the ride, but my buddies wouldn't let me. They convinced me to take Rollergirl's bike and carry extra fuel, as it can't go more than 70 miles on its small tank. Pumped up the flat front tire, loaded it in the truck, and then had a quick shower as Rollergirl had planned a little dinner party for some work friends of hers.

When I woke up at 3:30 Sat. morning, I was still drunk. Rollergirl mumbled something about me being an asshole and why did I have to throw the chair over the deck. Anyway, when I arrived at Big Bear at 7:30 I was still a little wobbly and there were only 2 bikes left in the parking lot. Between my 2 buddies and Rollergirl, they got me dressed and on my bike. Money paid and GPS tracks loaded. We waved goodbye to Rollergirl and turned right out of the parking lot. 20 seconds later we were at a traffic light and looked at each other with our best where-do-we-go-next expressions. 2 minutes later we were waving at Rollergirl again as we had turned around and were now headed in the opposite, but correct, direction.

The 3 of us ride in Baja quite a bit. We typically ride technical trails, don't go too fast, and tend to do about 100 miles per day. We use a GPS. However, we don't EVER follow anybody else's GPS tracks. We just use the GPS as a map. We rarely know where we are going, and the joke is that they are following me while I am trying to get lost. So, in the case of the Big Bear ride I/we thought that 200 miles was something we could do in a day while following the tracks that the organizers had downloaded onto our GPSs. We got to the first check point ok, and then a while later headed up a fun section of trail. A guy on a bike passed us going in the opposite direction! Then a few more. I was sobering up at this point, so was able to figure out that we were probably at fault rather than the other guys.

We stopped under a tree and had a lengthy discussion about how to use these GPS track-thingies. It turns out that you don't have to show ALL the track sections at the same time. You can turn off everything except for the section that you are currently riding. Awesome. Now we could figure out where we were supposed to go.

We were only 3 hours behind, but doing well and still smiling. Oh yes, RG's bike doesn't have a working light.

I think we all came to the same conclusion at about the same time - there was no way we were going to finish this ride in the allotted time. Thankfully we don't take ourselves too seriously, and were able to really enjoy the rest of our ride with way less pressure. We even got to do some "better" singletrack that went vaguely in the right direction. Then the rear wheel bearing on the drive-side of TT's bike finally decided it had had rotated far too many times and disintegrated. So that was the end of our Big Bear debacle.

We will be back next year with slightly less arrogance! I will be sober! My bike will be prepped a week in advance. I will carry less stuff. We will all spend the night there and be ready for 6am start. We will have a better understanding of how to use a GPS. We will all replace wheel bearings at least every 5 years. And, I will use a face mask for the horrible dust. Hopefully Rollergirl will come too! Then I will have an excuse for wanting to do the easier trail options.

WHYNOWTHEN screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 04:05 PM
WHYNOWTHEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #243
WHYNOWTHEN OP
where are the pedals?

Went to a party on Saturday in Tijuana. One of the guys that works for our company has a girlfriend and young daughter in TJ, so invited us to the daughter's baptism party.

So, I had been having some internal issues with this invitation. Tijuana gets a lot of negative press. I ride in Baja, but never spend any time in TJ. I keep telling people that Baja is a safe place to go. Why did I feel nervous about going to a party in TJ?

Google maps had a great street view of the party venue. Couldn't see any bad guys. Ok Rollergirl, lets go! Had to buy one day insurance for the Mini, as they wouldn't sell us a 6 hour policy. Nice party. Nice people.

This next part was really interesting for me. Met 2 guys at the party that spoke great English. Asked them about their background. Both of them said that they had moved to the States as young kids (2 and 4) with their folks. Both had done 12 years of school in the States, had jobs, paid taxes, had drivers licenses and families of their own. Also, both of them had never had any official immigration paperwork done. In the last 2 years, they were randomly picked up by the immigration gestapo and deported to a country were they had no ties. The one guy didn't even speak Spanish. Their families are still in the States and they are slowly trying to get paperwork that will allow them to be legal visitors. The one guy now works as an call-operator for AT&T. When you call to complain about your latest cellphone bill, you get to talk to this guy in TJ who speaks perfect English and gets paid $300/ week.

I usually keep to myself about political stuff, but this kind of thing is bullshit. How can we split families apart and deport people that have spent the last 30 years making a life for themselves and their families here in our country?

I was not born here. I came to this country on a tourist visa and ended up staying. It would be really fucked up to have my life destroyed by being deported. Where would they send me? South Africa? (grew up there) England? (born there)

Thankfully I have jumped through all the hoops and have US citizenship and a pale face.

WHYNOWTHEN screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 04:04 PM
Old 07-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #244
WHYNOWTHEN OP
where are the pedals?

While Rollergirl has been off with her injured shoulder, she hasn't been idle. She has been wonderful as a support driver and has met me in some great places. She has finally had enough though. She has watched longingly as I disappear into a dusty cloud in the distance. She is not 100% yet, but has decided that this weekend she will be riding again. After the obligatory lunch at the M. I. L.s house on the 4th, we will be pointing the big green tank north for a weekend in the Mammoth area. Fireworks over Crowley Lake, new trails, hotsprings, camping and good beer.

Rollergirls tasteful new stickers
Old 07-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #245
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYNOWTHEN View Post
We will be back next year with slightly less arrogance! I will be sober! My bike will be prepped a week in advance. I will carry less stuff. We will all spend the night there and be ready for 6am start. We will have a better understanding of how to use a GPS. We will all replace wheel bearings at least every 5 years. And, I will use a face mask for the horrible dust. Hopefully Rollergirl will come too! Then I will have an excuse for wanting to do the easier trail options.
Well... we'll be back, that part is true. Not so sure about the rest of it.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #246
WHYNOWTHEN OP
where are the pedals?

Roller girl is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank goodness I don't have to ride with a bunch of stinky guys anymore.

We did a long drive north. San Diego is far from everything except Baja. Not used to HOT yet. Luckily I had the cold-machine fixed in the tank.

Hadn't seen awesome summer clouds for quite a while. Hooray for the Sierras!

Excellent spot to camp and watch July 4th fireworks on the east side of Crowley lake. 4x4 helps!
Good beer from San Diego! Thanks Alpine Brewery.

Excellent fireworks. Thanks City of Mammoth Lakes!

Excellent mosquitoes. Thanks City of Mammoth lakes!

Pretty place to wake up.

Headed for some hot springs for the next few days.

Eventually put our clothes on and went for some awesome rides.

Cool volcanoes.

Cool trees.

Not too many pics.
It was really nice to see Rollergirl getting back into the rhythm of riding. I could see the point when she started to relax and really enjoy herself. Lots of good sand practice. We both love our new seats from Seat Concepts. Why bother standing at this point? We can now ride like real old men. Got to try out my new face mask / dust mask from Wolf-snout. Excellent addition for dusty rides.

Thank you my love for a wonderful weekend.
I'm sorry that you aren't coming to Baja this next weekend.

Coming soon - many miles in Baja! Mountains and beaches too.

WHYNOWTHEN screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 02:11 PM
Old 07-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #247
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Thumb Cool....

Glad to see roller girl is better and back on riding
Ride safe you two and keep the RR rolling
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #248
Elusion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Great thread and great pics. Repairing fences with a busted nose ... nice.
Elusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #249
WHYNOWTHEN OP
where are the pedals?

Miles Davis was playing on my IPod as the spiders were climbing in my helmet.

3 days. 575 miles of Baja dirt. Lots of pictures coming!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #250
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Looks like you guy's are having Mucho fun, looking forward to the Baja report.
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #251
WHYNOWTHEN OP
where are the pedals?

Early Saturday. Driving to the border in the dark. Radio is playing a song by Johnny Clegg - Scatterlings of Africa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7H3jANPnLE
Cool way for a scatterling to start a ride!

Ted was waiting for me at the border.

Then I waited for Ted a few times as he fiddled with his little bags.

Ok, enough making fun of Ted's packing abilities. I am the one that burnt my overnight bag in the past. Ted is awesome. He is happy to follow me down the rabbit hole and usually even has a smile on his face when we emerge from the other end.

We have three days, just-in-case camping gear, and bikes ready to go far. Ted has spare gas in 2 litre bottles, I have 6.3 gallons in my super tanker. I have a vague idea of where I want to go, Ted has no idea where I am going, and thankfully we both have the same weird sense of humor and desire to inflict pain on ourselves by riding our asses off.

I still love gates, but Ted starts to hate closing them after me.

Due to the fact that we have far to go, we stick mainly to the easy stuff.

Had to stop at many Taco stands.

Had to dodge a summer storm.

On the way to Mikes Sky Ranch, we saw this sign.

We did a bit of quick math and figured that 250 Pesos each seemed a whole lot better than $70 each. turned left and found these very nice, very clean cabins with the most comfortable beds in Baja. Good food. Quiet. Very friendly people.

The owner is 70 years old and used to play for the well known band "los Muecas" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc51yPPWQ2I

Artemio and one of his dogs - Guera.

End of day one - 231 miles.

WHYNOWTHEN screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 09:09 PM
Old 07-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #252
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,570
Sorry I missed it.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #253
WHYNOWTHEN OP
where are the pedals?

Day 2 is even better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You will be more sorry.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #254
WHYNOWTHEN OP
where are the pedals?

Lots of this kind of stuff.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #255
MufflerBearings
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYNOWTHEN View Post
On the way to Mikes Sky Ranch, we saw this sign.

We did a bit of quick math and figured that 250 Pesos each seemed a whole lot better than $70 each. turned left and found these very nice, very clean cabins with the most comfortable beds in Baja. Good food. Quiet. Very friendly people.

Artemio and one of his dogs - Guera.

I know it's nearly blasphemy to say anything bad about Mike's Sky Ranch, but I'll take Rancho La Palizada over Mike's every time. Don Artemio is a very cool guy and he's built a beautiful and peaceful little place to pass the night. With any luck, I'll be staying at La Palizada again in a couple weeks.

Whynowthen, I've been quietly following this thread for a long time, and have enjoyed vicariously tagging along on your Baja rides. Please keep it up.

A KLR RIDES (to) THE BAJA 500 (to spectate)! - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893347
MufflerBearings is offline   Reply With Quote