Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #181
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
I had previously seen both at the International Motorcycle show last December, but I I happened to be near a BMW shop today, so I stopped in to see them. The production models are so much nicer in fit and finish than the ones I saw at the show. There is no mistaking the BMW DNA in these scooters. The way the electronic windscreen works on the GT is like something you'd expect from BMW, and it makes my Burgman electonic windscreen seem like second string. The display has lots of useful info, the heated seat and grip controls are convenient.

The Sport model sits a little lower to the floor, has black powder coated wheels, stainless inserts in the foot area, and just looks more like an elongated sport bike. I had thought the GT might outsell the Sport, but having seen the sport in person, I may have been wrong on that assumption. All three bikes the dealer received were already sold.

I am hoping to test ride one at another dealer soon. Very nice scooters.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #182
Moto Mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamofo View Post
Anyone see/drive the C600 Sport version yet?
I've got a Sport on order and it should be here next week. I rode the shop's demo last weekend and I was very impressed. My previous maxi was a Piaggio MP3 500 so it's not much of a comparison but the Sport accelerated quickly with very little lag and I had plenty of legroom, something I was lacking on the Piaggio.

Overall I'm really excited and look forward to hitting the road.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #183
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,856
I had the chance to see and sit on both of the BMW scooters at the Cycle Show in Atlanta today. I am not a big fan of most maxi scooters and the riding positions of the Japanese Maxi's range from terrible (SW, Majesty) to bearable(Burgman, T max). I actually liked the riding position of the Sport although I did not really care for the GT. My wife also preferred the sport as a passenger. Although the BMW's weigh about as much as a Burgman 650, they felt much lighter. I won't be in the market for anything for a while but the BMW sport is now on my possible wish list for the future. I will be interested in seeing how easy the maintenance is on these. I can't afford to pay the huge servicing costs the dealers are likely to charge so being able to do my own maintenance is a must.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #184
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Happened to be at the local BMW dealer and they had a 650GT out for a demo.

All I can say is, WOW...what a great bike...definitely very comfortable, with lots of room, electric windshield, good storage, nice fit and finish and you can put a rack on it for a topbox. Very nice dash display as well. The salesguy turned the motor on...I didn't ride it, but you can tell that the engine has a lot of power and torque...way more than my Silverwing. It runs about $11.5K or so...I think the Burgman 650 is around $10K. I'd opt for the BMW, I think.

Really nice machine...hope they sell a boatload of them...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #185
gregbenner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lps2009 View Post
10.000$ for a taiwanese scooter DONT THINK SO <<<<<<
If you can't afford one, don't buy one. Or,.....get a better job?
1975 BMW R75/6
gregbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #186
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbenner View Post
If you can't afford one, don't buy one. Or,.....get a better job?
Oh hes got a 650 Burgman. He just wants to be a wise acre.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #187
mamba24
ScRaM pUpPeT

Oddometer: 137
Thinking of trading my 09 tmax now....
mamba24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #188
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba24 View Post
Thinking of trading my 09 tmax now....
All of my local dealer's BMW scoots are already sold...the first one was a Tmax rider who traded in his scoot.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #189
mamba24
ScRaM pUpPeT

Oddometer: 137
Updates?, any reviews from the new owners... Would like to hear from you guys before i decide to pull the trigger, thanks.
mamba24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #190
JimInSF
n00b

Oddometer: 1
New owner (and new poster) here but I don't pick it up 'til the morning - I will update with reviews.

I rode both the Sport and GT before making my decision, and I think I actually liked the ride of the Sport a wee bit better as I'm used to a stiffer suspension from my Sprint ST, but it probably just needs a little more preload for my fat rear, and I think I'm in the minority in this respect. In the end, I could not give up the better looks (IMHO) and more importantly immense storage of the GT.

In the meantime, they're actually doing a series on the GT over at webBikeWorld, having purchased one and planning to use it as a long term tester and documenting upgrades, etc. - check it out.

EDIT: As far as first impressions go, it has more power and more secure and stable handling than other scooters, much more like a motorcycle - and it was this combination that won me over. I'd ridden a Silver Wing and an MP3 500, but neither had the combo of secure handling for back road blasts and enough power to flow easily with L.A. freeway traffic. That, and the full spectrum of modern motorcycling conveniences, won me over. The availability of 95 liters of storage without the width of saddlebags, and the comfortable and flexible riding position (I can literally extend my legs to locked knees, or ride bolt upright, or anything in between) is a thing of beauty. Can't wait.
JimInSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #191
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInSF View Post
In the meantime, they're actually doing a series on the GT over at webBikeWorld, having purchased one and planning to use it as a long term tester and documenting upgrades, etc. - check it out.
+1

Been subscribed to the Youtube channel since day one and following the
web site for years, it's very underrated and the posted stuff really can't
be any better.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #192
gscrasher
Motorcycle poor

Oddometer: 17
I rode a GT demo yesterday. This was the first CVT scooter I've ever ridden. That is quite a different thing. On my motorcycles, all four extremities are doing something, on the scooter, however, one only really needs the right hand. Quite different, but in a cool way. The first thing that came to mind within about 2 blocks was, "this would be neat to tour on". The weather protection is better than any of my bikes, the seat is very comfortable, aging knees really agree with this type of sitting arrangement. I was surprised at how agile this machine is, that may be attributed partly to the low center of gravity resulting from the flat-lying motor. I had a blast.

But I'm still a motorcycle nut, so I won't be getting one yet.
gscrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #193
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
has anyone tried bump starting this (key off, key on) at speed yet ?

...the other day I bumped the off switch on my ms3 and killed the engine at about 20mph. the engine braking surprised me, and I bumped the starter to get going again. after I thought about, I tried bump starting (rolling, no starter) and it fired up fine. just curious how many scooters will do this.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #194
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,466
IF you turn the ignition off while going down the road the clutch is still engaged so will restart., The clutch will not release until some where around 5 to 10 miles per hour. When setting still and the clutch not engaged it will not matter how fast you push the scooter the clutch will not engage with out the engine running.

It's impossible to roll start a scooter with CVT, there may be an exception but I don't know what it is.

Clutch won't spin no matter how fast you roll it. The bell just spins not the clutch. The reason it continues to spin the engine after the ignition is killed is because the centrifugal force keeps the clutch pads in contact with the bell. Once you get below a certain speed(5-10 mph) the clutch springs overcome centrifugal force, you loose that contact, and the clutch disengages. The engine, clutch, belt, and variator all come to a stop. Impossible to practically reengage the clutch without starting the engine again.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969

hexnut screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 07:57 AM
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #195
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
gonna have to try that, nice explanation, thanks !