Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #61
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
I'm looking forward to getting a look at the BMW scoots. They are undoubtedly way outside my price range, but I'm hoping that there will be some innovation which might motivate other makers to update their designs...not necessarily a bad thing...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #62
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe4 View Post
I'm looking forward to getting a look at the BMW scoots. They are undoubtedly way outside my price range, but I'm hoping that there will be some innovation which might motivate other makers to update their designs...not necessarily a bad thing...
I was surprised at the 'pre-price hint'. They said around 10k which is what the burg is.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #63
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Silverwing

"Mine do too, but would rather not. One of them asked me to ride behind him so he wouldn't have to look at it. All my friends have been riding for many years. "

My friends wouldn't ask me to ride behind them, that would require catching me!!

Old 08-12-2012, 03:16 AM   #64
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
all I am saying is you guys must have a lot of guts and no pride to walk into any BMW Motorcycle Dealer and ask for the BMW scooter,,,,,, I have respect for you guys! I would be too ashamed and embarressed to do that knowing that the people in the dealership would be laughing and making fun of me.
The BMW Dealers are strongly against selling scooters saying they make the rest of the BMW motorcycles look bad,,,,, the way I understand you won't have any friends inside that showroom if you look at scooters.
The BMW Dealers love when their regular BMW customers walk in and make fun of the scooters, then you walk in wanting to buy that scooter everybody was making fun of,,,,,, you look bad!

sorry! but the truth hurts sometimes,,,, I say there is no need for motorcycle dealerships anymore, just have Wal Mart, or Home Depot sell them !

you guys sometimes don't understand,,,,, you're not welcome to walk thru the doors of many dealerships unless you are a serious past motorcycle rider-owner, I haven't set foot in any dealership for a long time cause I know I am not welcome just because I own a scooter.
You are wrong on so many levels. The dealership I am most associated with has a very large waiting list with deposits for the upcomming BMW Scooters. Scooter sales and service is a large and very important part of our business.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:06 AM   #65
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,616
Don't feed the Troll!

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:20 AM   #66
PeeBee
Giant leap for me!

Oddometer: 583
Last Saturday I was given the opportunity to book a test drive on both BMW scooters.

After 20+ years of riding 15+ motorcycles on a daily basis, my last KTM Duke got stolen and I swapped it for a used Vespa GT200, just to bridge the gap until the purchase of the fast bike. And guess what: the Vespa is a light, handy and very useable scoot and now I'm contemplating something between the Vespa and a KTM. Hence the BMW scooters.

Here's a small stack of two cents:
-They are both great scooters, and a bit heavy when stopped or driving slowly. GT hides its higher weight well.
- It's not possible to put them from the side stand onto the central stand, because of the parking brake that engages when the side stand is out.
-Engines feel a bit 'rough' or clunky. Maybe because of very low ODO?
-The electric screen adjuster on the GT is really nice, but the manual on the Sport works too, although it has only three settings (low/med/high). Screen on GT is wider.
-The underseat room of the GT is much bigger.
-Really nice info display. Tyre pressure, oil lever, the works.
-The Sport has the coolest Daytime Running Lights. Iron Man, anyone?
-GT has different tyres than the Sport. This is something that I haven't read anywhere, but the GT has Metzeler touring rubber, where the Sport has Pirelli Diablo's. The Pirelli's give a lot more confidence...
-I'm 6'4'', and being this tall, the higher handlebars of the GT are nicer and make for a less cramped seating position. The GT also has a nicer back rest.
-They are really fast, although the first 30 feet or so from a stop are bit hesitant. Best to take off with more than a little throttle.

To me the Sport is nicer looking and the better ride of the two, while the GT has the better seating position and ergonomics. And the dealer's quote that's sitting on my desk is very tempting...
Old 08-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #67
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,342
I have a photo of a Sport model I took while in Sweden last week. If anyone is interested in posting it (I can't, computer illiterate), please PM me with your email address.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #68
gregbenner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
Last Saturday I was given the opportunity to book a test drive on both BMW scooters.

-Engines feel a bit 'rough' or clunky. Maybe because of very low ODO?
-The electric screen adjuster on the GT is really nice, but the manual on the Sport works too, although it has only three settings (low/med/high). Screen on GT is wider.
-The underseat room of the GT is much bigger.
-Really nice info display. Tyre pressure, oil lever, the works.
-GT has different tyres than the Sport. This is something that I haven't read anywhere, but the GT has Metzeler touring rubber, where the Sport has Pirelli Diablo's. The Pirelli's give a lot more confidence...
-They are really fast, although the first 30 feet or so from a stop are bit hesitant. Best to take off with more than a little throttle.
I am also quite interested. I currently have several motorcycles, including a 650 Burgie. Hopefully the hesitation you refer to off the line is not a characteristic. Stop light performance is important when splitting lanes

Damn near got my old a$$ kicked a few days ago...nailed a guy in town on a Harley Ultra Classic off the line, twice. (me on my 650 Burgie). He had really loud exhausts, unbelievably funny watching him trying to be cool getting smoked by an old man on a scooter:loll The 1st time I kind of surprised him, maybe not fair. 2nd time was completely fair. After the 2nd time he asked me if I was F%#^*^# with him. I said no, and turned right. Damn that was fun.

Scooters definitely have their place for some people, some places .
1975 BMW R75/6,1971 BSA Lighning
gregbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:22 AM   #69
2wheelfish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Here is Speedo66's picture from Sweden. Sorry is took me so long Speedo, I was having technical issues myself.

Depending on price I am seriously considering this scoot. Will wait to test drive for sure, may also wait till a few get out on the road a little while to see if any issues crop up.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #70
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,342
No problem, thanks for posting.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #71
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelfish View Post
Depending on price I am seriously considering this scoot. Will wait to test drive for sure, may also wait till a few get out on the road a little while to see if any issues crop up.

I'm trying to decide between this and the NC700X. I love the convenience of my scooter but can't get used to the low sitting position. This one is a little taller but the NC with DCT might just be right.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #72
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,478
Saw one today. Not impressed. Nasty plastics and matt paint on a 10,000 GBP scooter. The new Honda Integra looks a much better finished machine.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #73
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Saw one today. Not impressed. Nasty plastics and matt paint on a 10,000 GBP scooter. The new Honda Integra looks a much better finished machine.
Given the choice of deep luxurious metallic finishes, and matte black in the
current gen T-max, 90% of the ones I've seen on the local roads are
matte.

Guess what else?
It costs extra.

It makes perfect sense to me that BMW did that.
They do it with their cars now too.

Considering the price (and the gearbox) though, I'd get the Integra too.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #74
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,478
Can't for the life of me understand the mentality of buying something you can't polish.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #75
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Can't for the life of me understand the mentality of buying something you can't polish.
Don't damage the paint and you won't have to polish (and make it thinner
and thinner every time) it.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote