Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #16
Judotrip
Torqued to the Max!!

Oddometer: 42
Good thing you have a sense of humor about the accident. It will help you heal. Anyhow parallel rail tracks in the street are one of the most challenging riding scenerios. I recently put new tires on my Buell and had to ride home in the rain. On my route home there was a detour that put me on a road that has light rail tracks that run down the center then off to the side. There is no way to cross them that makes you feel comfortable..
Heal up and make sure to drink up the goodness that is Belgium ales...
Old 06-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #17
GSFREEK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Lucifer is an old friend from school and i discovered he also drove a F800GS here on the forum....small world !! !
Not so long ago we went off-roading together.
We both crashed in the same month and now both have some nice zippers in our foot / arm
(http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787877)

THOSE BIKES ARE DOOMED !!!!!

Get well soom Kenny! looking good
GSFREEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #18
harley1550
Touring Rider

Oddometer: 225
I feel for you, Man.

I like your attitude! Heal quickly and you'll get some riding time in before winter! :)
harley1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #19
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Ouch... heal fast!

Regarding parallel tracks, interestingly enough, I read this bit a few months back talking just about how troublesome they are:

http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=270&Set=239-272

The interesting bottom line? If you're stuck *between* tracks, at anything above a few mph it's physically impossible to cross tracks at the requisite 45 degree angle. Obviously different than the OP's situation, but it's a good reminder just the same: cross as close to perpendicular as possible, or don't cross at all!
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #20
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
Ouch... heal fast!

Regarding parallel tracks, interestingly enough, I read this bit a few months back talking just about how troublesome they are:

http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=270&Set=239-272

The interesting bottom line? If you're stuck *between* tracks, at anything above a few mph it's physically impossible to cross tracks at the requisite 45 degree angle. Obviously different than the OP's situation, but it's a good reminder just the same: cross as close to perpendicular as possible, or don't cross at all!
I was going to pass on big heavy expensive boots and go with my ankle-high Cats; I've changed my mind!

I learned about rail tracks early. I fell off my bicycle trying to cross a hosepipe at an angle. I was about 6 and the lesson stayed with me! It's almost criminal how those rails are laid out where you crashed. If you turned wide to ride across them perpendicular, you'd probably get run over by a car. Lose-Lose

Good luck mate!
Old 06-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #21
Lucifer666 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
I was going to pass on big heavy expensive boots and go with my ankle-high Cats; I've changed my mind!

I learned about rail tracks early. I fell off my bicycle trying to cross a hosepipe at an angle. I was about 6 and the lesson stayed with me! It's almost criminal how those rails are laid out where you crashed. If you turned wide to ride across them perpendicular, you'd probably get run over by a car. Lose-Lose

Good luck mate!
Please do me and especially yourself a favor and buy those big heavy expensive boots . I will use my boots 1 more time, to ride to the shop and buy those sidi adventures. I'll burn my old ones when I have my new sidi's .

www.lucifer4x4.com
Be Realistic, Demand The Impossible!
Lucifer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #22
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,378
No way I would try to cross tracks like that.
If they are not at 90 degrees, I would not try it at any speed.

Also, in many places they re-pave the road and do one lane at a time, with a 1 to 3 inch sharp difference between the new and old, madness to try and change lanes in that situation.

90 degrees or not doing it.

Heal up well, pain is one thing, not being able to ride is worse...
But you can ride with a cast/boot thing, I did when I broke my ankle...
Was kind of nice being off work and being able to ride!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #23
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Thank goodness for crash bars!!!

I went down in a similar fashion on mine. No damage to the bike but my foot was fubar...same kinds of screws and plates in my foot now too.

I learned a valuable lesson about footwear that day. Now I wear motocross boots all the time, even just going to work.

Flashback screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 08:04 PM
Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:31 AM   #24
Lucifer666 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Thank goodness for crash bars!!!

I went down in a similar fashion on mine. No damage to the bike but my foot was fubar...same kinds of screws and plates in my foot now too.

I learned a valuable lesson about footwear that day. Now I wear motocross boots all the time, even just going to work.
I know the feeling mate . I hope your bones healed up well. They say you can predict the weather with a metal plate , is it true?

www.lucifer4x4.com
Old 06-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #25
IndyChizzle
Inspired by Trevor W

Oddometer: 792
The Cost of Free Healthcare:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNO_RIDER View Post
Sorry to hear of your accident. You’re well on your way to recovery!

Not to change the subject, but that looks like some great surgical work. Nice 3-D x-ray too. Can you please remind the US folks how much your surgery was? Do you need insurance to pay for it? Are you going to be responsible for an insurance deductible?

In the US a procedure like that would cost about $30,000 or so US Dollars.
Looks like a rider from Belgium would pay approximately the following for his health insurance:

50% Income Tax if earning above 35,060 euros
http://www.expatica.com/be/finance_b...8618_8286.html

Regional Income Tax of 0-8.5%

Value Added Tax (Not sure which one this would have been for a motorcycle): 21% for most items, 6% for transportation.

Gasoline (not sure % tax): ~$5.91 per gallon in US Dollars
http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis...bal_gasprices/

Glad to hear that the rider is ok, and that the pins come out soon. Heal fast, and beware of those train tracks! I slid around on some tracks like that in Portland, OR where the public transportation rails run right down the middle of lanes of traffic. Pretty sketchy when you have to change lanes in the rain...
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #26
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Wow, you have a great attitude, and I sure hope you are up and riding sooner rather than later.

People tease me because I wear my AlpineStars heavy "adventure" style boots everywhere I go. They def. look silly when the riding pants come off and I'm walkin' around in the boots and shorts.

That being said, back when I picked up folks for a living (Sheriff's Flight Crew medic) I couldn't tell you how many tennis shoes and low boots I retrieved for victims of moto crashes. Usually they still had a foot in them....

Ride safely my friend.

Steve
Old 06-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #27
Lucifer666 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
Wow, you have a great attitude, and I sure hope you are up and riding sooner rather than later.

People tease me because I wear my AlpineStars heavy "adventure" style boots everywhere I go. They def. look silly when the riding pants come off and I'm walkin' around in the boots and shorts.

That being said, back when I picked up folks for a living (Sheriff's Flight Crew medic) I couldn't tell you how many tennis shoes and low boots I retrieved for victims of moto crashes. Usually they still had a foot in them....

Ride safely my friend.

Steve
About the attitude ...
I see it as a part of the great adventure . When I'm 80 years old and my body hangs together with metal plates, then I can say I've lived (in a matter of speaking offcourse , let's hope not to many).

July 4 they remove the metal pin in my foot.
August 28 is the day they will remove my plaster cast, woohoo.
September 8 I'm on my way to Spain with my bike on the trailer . Got 10 days to do some exercises and get some movement in my foot, because after 3 months in the plaster cast he will be veryyyyyy stiff. I'll ask the doctor to remove the plaster cast a few days earlier so I have 2 weeks to do some exercises. I hope it works, can't wait to get on my bike, damnit.

Thanks all for the great support, love the people on this forum .

www.lucifer4x4.com

Lucifer666 screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 06:06 PM
Old 06-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #28
DeadEnd
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
I have a pair of Gaerne supermoto boots and a pair of SG10s I rotate, and most of my riding is commuting. The word "overkill" does not apply. Doesn't make me invincible, but definitely gives me a sense of real ankle protection with those no-nonsense boots on.

To the OP: hope you heal well and full.
DeadEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #29
Lucifer666 OP
Adventurer

My new boots, eat this !

www.lucifer4x4.com
Old 07-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #30
smsteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Lucifer666, +1 on a great attitude!

So? It's July 5th, what happened when they pulled out the metal pin?
smsteve is offline   Reply With Quote