Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #31
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
Yep...user programmability works very well!

Adam is a great resource, and so is the team at Rowe.

I do wish, however, that the unit could be easily programmed "on the bike". That's not a feature, yet.

Although I probably could stand next to the bike with my laptop and git her done. Adam?
Old 02-21-2014, 11:09 PM   #32
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
Yep...user programmability works very well!

Adam is a great resource, and so is the team at Rowe.

I do wish, however, that the unit could be easily programmed "on the bike". That's not a feature, yet.

Although I probably could stand next to the bike with my laptop and git her done. Adam?
You can do that, but I suggest disconnecting the PDM60's black ground wire before connecting the programming cable.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #33
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 428
Question: I know you can set each circuit for a ground trigger and/or ignition trigger, but say you set up two circuits for a ground trigger, can you have two switches to control them or are you limited to just one switch that will control them both? For example, if you run fog lights and driving lights and want to control them separately, can you set it up with a switch for each one?

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.
Max Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #34
arrcrussell
Gimme Dirt

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Wedge View Post
Question: ... are you limited to just one switch that will control them both? ...
I think this is the case - at least my unit has only one "power" trigger wire and one "ground" trigger wire. I ran mine with 3 circuits triggered off the ignition and one unit to be both ignition and ground (2 not used). The 3 power 2 aux lights and passenger heated vest. The solo circuit powers my heated vest with a handlebar switch which actives the ground trigger.

I've found the unit to be quite useful and solid quality.
arrcrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #35
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Wedge View Post
Question: I know you can set each circuit for a ground trigger and/or ignition trigger, but say you set up two circuits for a ground trigger, can you have two switches to control them or are you limited to just one switch that will control them both? For example, if you run fog lights and driving lights and want to control them separately, can you set it up with a switch for each one?
The blue ground trigger can operate one or more circuits simultaneously, but there's no way to have those circuits operate individually. You'd probably need a separate switch and relay for the second set of lights.
| Hi-Power LED Lights

Old 03-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #36
baddrapp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Do you have a discount code?

Thanks,
Brian
baddrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #37
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto View Post
The blue ground trigger can operate one or more circuits simultaneously, but there's no way to have those circuits operate individually. You'd probably need a separate switch and relay for the second set of lights.

Okay, that is what I thought. I will just change my configuration accordingly.

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.
Max Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #38
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,579
Blake--

Thanks for hosting this thread. It helps.

In the past I've used conventional fuseblocks and relays, and I understand about how to set up "switched" circuits and "unswitched" circuits. On the PDM60, there's the "ignition trigger" which I believe is basically the equivalent of what I would call a "switched" circuit, yes?

But after reading the FAQ's and watching several vids, I can't figure out what the "ground trigger" is. Is that what I would call an "unswitched" circuit? In other words, is it a circuit that is always on?

Also, some of the pushbutton switches on my bars only tolerate low amperage because I connect them to the relay trigger wire for my switched devices which normally only pulls milliamps. To use the PDM60, would I need to beef up all my switches to handle the entire load going to the device?
Old 04-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #39
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Blake--

Thanks for hosting this thread. It helps.

In the past I've used conventional fuseblocks and relays, and I understand about how to set up "switched" circuits and "unswitched" circuits. On the PDM60, there's the "ignition trigger" which I believe is basically the equivalent of what I would call a "switched" circuit, yes?

But after reading the FAQ's and watching several vids, I can't figure out what the "ground trigger" is. Is that what I would call an "unswitched" circuit? In other words, is it a circuit that is always on?

Also, some of the pushbutton switches on my bars only tolerate low amperage because I connect them to the relay trigger wire for my switched devices which normally only pulls milliamps. To use the PDM60, would I need to beef up all my switches to handle the entire load going to the device?
The ground trigger is used, with a handlebar switch, for example. Normally, with high current lights, as an example, you'd need to switch power through a relay to the lights. With the ground trigger, you connect a PDM60 output to the lights and the switch grounds the blue ground trigger wire. Any circuit that is programmed for ground trigger will have 12 volts sent to it - no relay needed.

Regarding unswitched circuits... Normally, I don't suggest running unswitched on the PDM60. Reason is that when this is enabled, all of the LED's on the unit stay on, all the time. So, if you don't ride you bike for several days, then your bike's battery may be discharged to the point where the bike will not start.

Hope that helps.
| Hi-Power LED Lights

Old 04-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #40
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Regarding unswitched circuits... Normally, I don't suggest running unswitched on the PDM60. Reason is that when this is enabled, all of the LED's on the unit stay on, all the time. So, if you don't ride you bike for several days, then your bike's battery may be discharged to the point where the bike will not start.

Hope that helps.
That helps a lot. Thanks.

Quote:
The ground trigger is used, with a handlebar switch, for example. Normally, with high current lights, as an example, you'd need to switch power through a relay to the lights. With the ground trigger, you connect a PDM60 output to the lights and the switch grounds the blue ground trigger wire. Any circuit that is programmed for ground trigger will have 12 volts sent to it - no relay needed.
I'm still not sure I understand.

Let's take your example of lights. Each light has two wires--one goes to the bike's ground and the other goes to one of the PDM outputs. None of the wiring for the lights goes anywhere near the handlebar switch. The handlebar switch has two wires--one goes to the bike's ground and the other goes to the blue wire, right? The handlebar switch will now control ALL the PDM circuits that are programmed with "ground trigger" instead of "ignition trigger", right? So, then are the lights ALSO on a switched circuit? In other words, if the bike's ignition is turned off then the handlebar switch won't do anything because everything is totally off? Or, can I accidentally leave the lights on as I walk away from the bike to get some lunch because I forgot to thumb the handlebar switch?
Old 04-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #41
mountain_rdr
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I believe there's an option to set a circuit to be Ground AND Ignition which the would require key on AND handlebar switch on preventing that situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mountain_rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #42
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_rdr View Post
I believe there's an option to set a circuit to be Ground AND Ignition which the would require key on AND handlebar switch on preventing that situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Precisely - there are two options with regards to ground trigger. Ground trigger, which will output 12 volts on selected circuits when the PDM60 blue trigger wire is grounded, regardless of whether the ignition is on or off. Or Ignition + ground trigger, where the ignition must be on for the ground trigger to function.

The handlebar switch wiring doesn't go anywhere near, nor connect to the the lights or whatever you want to switch with the ground trigger function.
| Hi-Power LED Lights

Old 04-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #43
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Precisely - there are two options with regards to ground trigger. Ground trigger, which will output 12 volts on selected circuits when the PDM60 blue trigger wire is grounded, regardless of whether the ignition is on or off. Or Ignition + ground trigger, where the ignition must be on for the ground trigger to function.
Ah, OK. Because I do have a set of aux lights that I will want to set up with the ignition+ground trigger so that I can dim them at night when there's traffic, but I also want my GPS powered full time because I often stop and kill the motor while I peruse the GPS screen trying to figger out where I am, or where I was, or where I'm going (depending on the situation). So that one would get the ground trigger. I actually have 7 aux devices, 8 if you count the horn, so I have to decide which devices can share one circuit, or whether I should just wire up a couple of them in the conventional way and bypass the PDM60.

Anyway, very informative! Now I got the info I need to do it right. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2014, 07:28 AM   #44
mountain_rdr
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Some here have installed the PDM60 back toward the taillight of their GSW. To do that would mean extending the power and ground. What gauge wire would I need to run if I used a PDM60 as my distribution/relay? 10g?

Thanks in advance...trying to figure out which way to go and this looks like a pretty nice solution.
mountain_rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #45
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_rdr View Post
Some here have installed the PDM60 back toward the taillight of their GSW. To do that would mean extending the power and ground. What gauge wire would I need to run if I used a PDM60 as my distribution/relay? 10g?

Thanks in advance...trying to figure out which way to go and this looks like a pretty nice solution.
Yes, use 10AWG for the +12 volt lead. I'd cut off the ring lug and either solder and heat shrink an extension or use a glue lined yellow butt connector to extend the power input lead.

For the ground extension from the battery negative terminal, we have a 3' long 10AWG custom cable in our wiring kit, or you can fashion something yourself.
| Hi-Power LED Lights