Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #61
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Oddometer: 1,365
Eek CONCHSCOOTER clif 20120672359 cache creek bc canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
I am pondering the nuts of a man whose first bike is a 1600, and whose first trip is a ride to Alaska, and who decides the best way to handle this is online in front of God and everybody. My hats off.

CONCHSCOOTER,

Yes, you're absolutely right. I've had my share of tears dealing with the obvious challenges of starting with such a huge monster. But I try not to focus on the fear. And Bill has been a great motorcycle coach / teacher.
ClifNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #62
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Cool2 ROLLCAST clif 201206280002 cache creek bc canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollcast74 View Post
I agree with you... I've been reading radiomans blog and I decide adv riding was for me. I have never ridden a bike dirt nor street. I've always been a quad guy, so off I went to buy a 2009 KLR 650. It's sits in my garage as I wait to take my Oregon endorsement next week. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. So couldn't image jumping on a bike almost three times the size as mine and heading to AK. Maybe someday... Good luck and I can't wait to see some photos... Hopefully you brought your fly rods, the sockeye should be in.
ROLLCAST,

You're right. Imagination for most people is a good gauge of what they can do. I wish I had 1 - 3 years of practice, going from say... a 250, to 650 to 1200. But I really wanted this tour with Bill - so I just had to make most of the couple weeks of preparation.

I guess you have your endorsment now?

clif 201206280002 cache creek bc canada
Old 06-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #63
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Pissed OLDTOURING B "BOB" clif 201206280011 cache creek bc canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtouring B View Post
In order to enjoy life you need to be a little crazy for 20 seconds!! You 2 have replaced seconds with 20 days!

Clif--have U and Bill discussed the road conditions in Alaska during the rainy season? You must have read how slippery the roads can get. Maybe Bill has planned your route to avoid these conditions. Being a beginner this would be a very tough place to learn.

Having a plan B might be a good idea. Canada and Idaho and Montana are beautiful this time of year.

We all want you to have a great trip and remain safe. Create memories that will last a lifetime. Ride safe--Bob
Bob,

Your post is extremely helpful. I have been very worried about riding in the rain. The concern I have is that wiping out at high speeds in the rain could be the first AND last mistake while riding.

I haven't read anything about slippery roads. I mean... I know that in general, car oil and antifreeze deposits make the road slippery for "only" 30 minutes after rain starts.

Why are the Alaska roads slippery when wet?

THANKS
clif 201206280011 cache creek bc canada
Old 06-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #64
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Eh? SELENESOLER clif 201206280020 cache creek bc canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenesoler View Post
I saw the videos. Fun. However, could I please see Bill's face a little? I miss him! Thank you Clif. Selene
SELENESOLER,

I look forward to meeting you too!

I made a video with "Bill's face". But the internet here is... relatively poor. I'll try relocating the laptop to see if a better signal could facilitate upload. I've been struggling with it for an hour now. I think though, that I should be able to upload it within 48 hours if not tonight. Sooner or later, we should encounter "good internet" right?

Thanks for following us.

My friends have ALWAYS told me that I have limitless energy. But I can't remember a time in my life I ever had the energy Bill has. He's a very unusual, special person. I literally can't keep up with him.

Keep posting here... and make any requests you like. I'll do my best to accomodate!
Old 06-28-2012, 12:58 AM   #65
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Cry 2012 june 28 0059 cache creek bc canada

201206280027 @ cache creek BC canada

I had a nice youtube vid prepared to upload, but the internet isn't cooperating.

Today the roads were dry and I liked that. My gtl was "connected" to the road. I didn't have to worry about slippage / slipping in the rain.

One dangerous situation today was that I was trying to pass a white semi when the single opened to a 2 lane - for passing. Once I accelerated, I realized I wouldn't even be able to see the "2 lane end" sign. I allowed that concern to... I ignored that concern, because I could still see there was no oncoming. Then, the hill I was riding up abruptly ended AND another semi came oncoming. So... I just slowed down and decided to pass later.

The semi... I think the driver was either slow because they slow going uphill, or he / she was trying to let me pass. What ended up happening was that both of us were very, very slow.

In hindsight, probably what happened was the semi driver was like... 10 feet above the ground level and could see that it was safe to pass. That's why it slowed so much. But I was very low on the bike and couldn't see anything over the hill!

So at one point, I was in my own lane, but uncomfortable between a semi in the oncoming, and the white one to my right.

I also had the windblast to worry about.

Anyway... this is an example of how there can suddenly be like... 3, 4, or even 6+ considerations to make suddenly. And you don't have time to "think it through". You just have to know what to do.

And if you're scared by it, or know it was a "bad" situation, then you just have to start out slow, be conservative... or do whatever you have to in order to preserve safety.

I think I have the moment between two semis on my helmet cam. Again, I had my own lane, but it was uncomfortable. I have been riding in a way where I minimize my time and "interaction" with semis. They have windblast and they can also switch lanes suddenly (which could be a death sentence). So again, I was uncomfortable with that.

Oh yeah... the other surprise I experienced was that in the tunnel, I turned my head to look at the wall because I was curious what it looked like. The combination of the weird lighting and rhythm of the wall passing nearly drew me into it.

I've started to realize that the psychological, sensation, and physics of riding is just: FOREIGN. I look at the wall of tunnels all the time when I'm driving. I've never been "drawn" into it. But today, a large part of me for whatever reason just wanted to turn the bike into it. But fortunately, the small directional part of me said, "uh-uh, no. Bike stays straight."

Windblasts are also weird. Some trucks have a little kiss when you think it'll blow you into the forest. And other trucks that look like they're carrying pillows gut punch you! But I have started to be wary of the weird shaped trucks - they tend to have really odd windblasts. Then, aside from semis, you also have the canyon windblasts! I passed several signs today that warned of windblasts - and sometimes they appear AFTER the fact.

What a strange world! I've been driving for decades on the road and I never knew so much / many invisible forces were at play on the road.

Finally, 4 days on the tour and I haven't gotten a ticket yet (despite me passing a state trooper on the shoulder!) My Canada friend told me that ... well, several friends mentioned that Canada is really strict now with speed. I have been coming to Canada a lot, so I can't afford to get any tickets.

It's really hard to resist. You're sitting on a machine that delivers 1600 cc's of power - and so bmw smoothly...

Is it possible I could go the entire tour without 1) getting hurt and 2) getting any tickets?

I hope we get good internet tomorrow (oops! it's already "tomorrow"!) Then I'll get caught up in video uploads. And - PICTURES!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #66
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Eh? 2012 jun 28 0106

Ah... i put all my worries on the last posting.

Awesome things?

Today during the ride, I saw a waterfall in the mountains.... high, high up. It didn't make sense at all. How did that much water get up there? It was beautiful and odd. It looked like a child's drawing - the way they can create fanciful designs that defy gravity and reality.

The other more subtle pattern I noticed (and only because Bill pointed it out) is that the daylight hours are increasing. This makes me feel that our planet is a lot tinier than we thought. If some riding can see so much climate and astronomical / planetary change - in such a short time - then really we live on a little planet, right? Shouldn't we take better care of it?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:09 AM   #67
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
I noticed (and only because Bill pointed it out) is that the daylight hours are increasing. This makes me feel that our planet is a lot tinier than we thought. If some riding can see so much climate and astronomical / planetary change - in such a short time - then really we live on a little planet, right? Shouldn't we take better care of it?
Well said

I'm sure the "fears" you describe we all share(d) at times in our riding experiences. You are on a big, heavy and powerful motorcycle that offers you some of the best of handling, braking, lighting, etc., while on modern tires with traction and wear properties well beyond anything available not so many years ago. Keep practicing all the basics of your riding classes, plan ahead, look where you want to go, stay relaxed, breath and stay smooth with all you movements, have faith/comfort in the knowledge that your motorcycle will do amazing things if you dance with her and always ride your own ride even when with someone on a similar bike. Confidence when playing follow the leader can be a helpful tool as you know your bike can do it too, but there is no substitution for good skills developed with experience as it is most often the rider that makes the difference rather than the machine. BTW, motorcycles are very stable on wet roads and your bike is as good in the wet as she is on the dry, but I believe the "slippery" stuff referred to in AK is when you get on dirt and gravel roads then add water. You'll have a ball, take your time and stay loose and the fun meter will stay pegged on the good side.

Not intending to sound preachy, just a reply to your shared thoughts. BTW, You could be on any bike and get injured or worse by being a poor rider so don't fear the 1600, just respect her heft and power and explore/enjoy all she can do to enhance your travels.

Cheers
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #68
oldtouring B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Things to consider..

Try not to over think your actions--Just react and a habit pattern will develop.

When passing any vehicle drop down one or two gears and haul a##

The tunnel taught you that the bike goes where you look.

Your bike weighs 750# No need to worry about wind blast.

When passing a semi take a quick glance at the tires that are close to you. U are looking for tread seperation.

Try to RELAX a little more each day.

No need to worry about rain on paved roads that are free of gravel. The tires today have amazing traction.
oldtouring B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #69
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtouring B View Post
Try not to over think your actions--Just react and a habit pattern will develop.

When passing any vehicle drop down one or two gears and haul a##

The tunnel taught you that the bike goes where you look.

Your bike weighs 750# No need to worry about wind blast.

When passing a semi take a quick glance at the tires that are close to you. U are looking for tread seperation.

Try to RELAX a little more each day.

No need to worry about rain on paved roads that are free of gravel. The tires today have amazing traction.
great tips. also would recommend you "go with the flow" to some extent as you break the bow wave of the truck you are passing. hard to describe, but you wanna just tell yourself a blast is coming, relax, and dont over-react to it when it gets there. that bike wants to stay up, and stay straight.

kudos to you both. for doing the trip, for doing it on those bikes (only because they are pretty and your going to hit some gravel ), and for a newbie combining all these into his first trip.

definitely subscribed!

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #70
Solarmoose
electric

Oddometer: 664
Agree

Clifnotes,
You've received some great advice from bobw and oldtouringB and it is worth noting.

I live in Fairbanks AK, lived here most of my life, been over the AlCan many
times. AlCan = ALaska CANadian highway though the Canadians mostly
refer to it as the Alaska Highway. It starts in Dawson Creek, BC and ends at
Delta Junction AK. It was built in the early 40's as a supply road for WWII.
My folks drove up here in the late 40's so I've seen it "evolve" over a long time.
My wife and I rode our bikes up this past May and its in the best shape I've ever seen it.
We both ride heavy street tour bikes like yours.

Its very popular with bikers. You'll see lots of motorbikes, and lots of RV's
plus semi's and oil field service vehicles. There is lots of cool stuff to see
so keep in mind the RV drivers may not be looking for you.

The alcan is "paved" all the way. Much of it is chip-seal. Fresh chip-seal is a
bit like driving on marbles before it gets packed into a hard surface. If you
get into any of that just slow up a bit, relax and let the bike do its thing.
We saw no fresh chip seal in May.

There will be construction zones with pilot trucks; there were four places
where the road was washed out in early June due to unusual heavy rain.
Two between Watson Lake and Teslin and two more between Haines Jct
and Kluane Lake.
The section from Kluane Lake to Beaver Creek is bumpy with frost heaves.
There also are several short (few hundred feet) gravel sections and most are marked.

There are four or so steel grate bridges, not unique to the Alcan but you
don't see them everyday. The bike will feel a bit "squirrely." Reduce speed
a bit, keep it constant, relax the grip and let the bike wander. It won't go far.

We all had our first long distance ride at some point. Its the best time.

SM

Solarmoose screwed with this post 06-28-2012 at 12:09 PM
Solarmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #71
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 552
Ist bike; a 1600GTL, 1st trip; Alaska.

I know I'm not the only one thinking what i'm thinking. . . .

limeymike screwed with this post 06-28-2012 at 12:09 PM
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #72
IDRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeymike View Post
Ist bike; a 1600GTL, 1st trip; Alaska.

I know I'm not the only one thinking what i'm thinking. . . .
That there is a very fine line between being cool or the idiot?

I have to say that I am damn jealous on many levels.

I am enjoying this ride report very much, please keep it up.

Ride safe.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #73
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClifNotes View Post
... Why are the Alaska roads slippery when wet?

THANKS
clif 201206280011 cache creek bc canada
When you run into a wet freshly graded road under construction from this point and further north, you need to be very careful. They use a bonding agent, calcium chloride I believe, which when mixed with water and graded into the road surface it will dry to hard motorcycle safe surface to ride. BUT when it's wet it's as slipery a surface as you'll ever likely to find. Second, it's a bonding agent and when wet mixed with whatever soil it will fill in the spaces on your tire leaving you essentially with slicks. In the worst case when that happens and you give a little too much throttle or make a directional change you may find yourself going down the road sideways. I know that from personal experience.

If you take the Top of the World highway make sure it's dry! If you get into construction stay loose, calm, straight up and down and keep a steady throttle. As has been said if you're in wet situations and the bike starts to get loose stay with it. Don't panic ... just ride. That's advice I wish someone had shared with me back when. No matter how dire or slick a road up north might get it's still worth it and I'll be back up as often as I can.

Good luck and ride safe.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #74
oldtouring B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
1 more thing..

Don't get Monkey Butt. It can make grown men cry!!
oldtouring B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #75
judgebill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Report from Dawsom Creek

Dawson Creek today (6/28). Long day, 500 miles, 12 hours (including gas stops, pit stops and food stops). Saw some wildlife today, 3 moose (2 cows and a bull) on separatte occasions. The cow moose decided to cross the road right in front of me. Fortunately I saw her from a distance and had slowed to a crawl. She was BIG. Also saw a deer running alongside the road and even a black bear, also alongside the road. Talked to one fellow here in town who said that at least once a day someone hits a deer or moose. Probably an exaggeration but should make the body shop people happy.
Teh mountains rise straight out of the ground, no foothills like I'm used to in California. And they are covered with towering pines from the very foot to the very top. Saw snow t oday, first time on the trip. Up high. The snow melt runs downhill and makes nice small waterfalls alongside the hig hway.
Traffic has been light in both directions. When someone wants to pass we simply pull over and slow down. Speeds are marekd in kilometers per hour and while the speedometer shows the conversion my eyes can't read. Teh result is I ride according ot what I would anticipate California speeds would be, moderated by road conditions. Also, there isn't much danger of hitting a moose in California.
Eventhough it was a long day I find this bike is such a delight t hat I don't feel the exhaustion I would have expected. I guess thats a testimony to the comfort and overall design of the bike. In other words, I will attest to the idea of riding all day on this bike and still feeling great. Clif absolutely agrees. As an aside, my first bike was a K1200LT and it too was wonderful on long rides. Then I had a 1200 GSA, which was great but not as comfortable for long trips. I have an F800GS in Uruguay which I dearlly love and have ridden it on long trips but it definitely doesn't compare favorable with the 1600.
Tomorrow we resume and will tell all.
Bill
judgebill is offline   Reply With Quote