Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #76
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Oddometer: 1,498
clif 2012 june 28 2346 @ dawson creek, canada

clif 2012 june 28 2346 @ dawson creek, canada

Internet! What's better than internet? FAST INTERNET!

I'm in a good mood because by nearly complete chance, we finally ran into each other at night.

Today we started riding at 8am and I personally didn't stop until... about 20 minutes ago. So... that's what? 15.5 hours of riding. (I didn't stop long enough to even eat at any restaurants today. But when I starved, I pulled over on the freeway and ate a bag of trail mix Bill gave me). Riding required filling up the tank twice - so I used up 3 gas tanks today. I anticipated I'd have to walk into Dawson because I was on "empty" for... about 40 miles. I would have filled up, but I just couldn't find any stations open this late.

I'm backed up on uploading videos. I want to upload last night's video - especially Selene made a request. And today's? I'll have to import the videos first.

Bill was lucky and saw a bear! I can't believe it. I wish I saw it too! That's probably part of the reason it took me so long to get to Dawson. I love animals and I stop to record ALL OF THEM! Look up "elk bill clif" on google and our vid should pop up.

ok... I'll start getting tonight's vid ready (import, edit, "share"). And... oh - I have so many things to catch up on. I want to read all your replies too - so I will get to it. It's great to have so many experienced people giving me references, help, and instruction.

OHHHH! Today I was riding some portions of the bike standing on the pegs. And the road was new and wet from rain. So standing up gave me this angle where I could see the reflection of the trees and mountain and sky and clouds... ALL SHIMMERING IN THE ROAD. It was so addictive! I love it!!! Heaven on Earth? I felt like I was in a great dream and flying... I loved that reflective effect below me. There were no cars on the road at all - I had it all to myself. So I was standing while riding. The air smelled like Christmas trees, the air was cold and humid... why did I wait this long to ride motorcycles?

I'm so grateful to Bill for getting me into this and learning what all the motorbike fuss is about!

ClifNotes screwed with this post 06-29-2012 at 01:00 AM Reason: add eating journal entry
ClifNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:59 AM   #77
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClifNotes View Post
Today I was riding some portions of the bike standing on the pegs. And the road was new and wet from rain. So standing up gave me this angle where I could see the reflection of the trees and mountain and sky and clouds... ALL SHIMMERING IN THE ROAD. It was so addictive! I love it!!! Heaven on Earth? I felt like I was in a great dream and flying... I loved that reflective effect below me. There were no cars on the road at all - I had it all to myself. So I was standing while riding. The air smelled like Christmas trees, the air was cold and humid... why did I wait this long to ride motorcycles?
Awesome.

EDIT: Your post caused me to dig up my first ride report blog from 2005 when I made the same trip on a KLR with only 4000 city miles under my belt before departing:

Riding like this is hard: I'm cold and wet, rained on, bugs on shield, traffic dangerous. Wind pushes you, muscles constantly tense, concentration at 100% constantly. But when you are on a two lane road through 250ft high redwood forests and you lean into a turn and you see the double yellow line give way to a dash on your side, you know the road straightens out after the next tree. So you twist the throttle more, pegs already near the ground, and you press yourself down into your seat and zoom into the next straightaway seeing trees and mountains and sun breaking through the clouds and no cars for the next mile, and it's all worth it.

SFKLR screwed with this post 06-29-2012 at 12:31 PM
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #78
oldtouring B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Gas stations

Some stations leave the pumps turned on for credit card transactions only after closing. Be sure U check if low on fuel.

Wait until you fill up in Alaska
oldtouring B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #79
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,098
Just a heads up on moose and bear ... they're numbers 1 and 2 on the food chain up there. If you run into mom with young be ready to flee. They are very aggressive and she will charge a motorcycle. Just keep in mind you're number 3!

BTW, in another day or two the internet is going to be slow and expensive.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #80
NakedBikeRyder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Thumb Deer Whistle Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebill View Post
Dawson Creek today (6/28). Long day, 500 miles, 12 hours (including gas stops, pit stops and food stops). Saw some wildlife today, 3 moose (2 cows and a bull) on separatte occasions. The cow moose decided to cross the road right in front of me. Fortunately I saw her from a distance and had slowed to a crawl. She was BIG. Also saw a deer running alongside the road and even a black bear, also alongside the road. Talked to one fellow here in town who said that at least once a day someone hits a deer or moose. Probably an exaggeration but should make the body shop people happy.
Teh mountains rise straight out of the ground, no foothills like I'm used to in California. And they are covered with towering pines from the very foot to the very top. Saw snow t oday, first time on the trip. Up high. The snow melt runs downhill and makes nice small waterfalls alongside the hig hway.
Traffic has been light in both directions. When someone wants to pass we simply pull over and slow down. Speeds are marekd in kilometers per hour and while the speedometer shows the conversion my eyes can't read. Teh result is I ride according ot what I would anticipate California speeds would be, moderated by road conditions. Also, there isn't much danger of hitting a moose in California.
Eventhough it was a long day I find this bike is such a delight t hat I don't feel the exhaustion I would have expected. I guess thats a testimony to the comfort and overall design of the bike. In other words, I will attest to the idea of riding all day on this bike and still feeling great. Clif absolutely agrees. As an aside, my first bike was a K1200LT and it too was wonderful on long rides. Then I had a 1200 GSA, which was great but not as comfortable for long trips. I have an F800GS in Uruguay which I dearlly love and have ridden it on long trips but it definitely doesn't compare favorable with the 1600.
Tomorrow we resume and will tell all.
Bill
The Deer Whistle on the bike is apparently working, yes, it was not for moose, I noticed the deer stayed at your side. Clif, I'll bring one for you when we meet up in Kamloops. Be Safe, looking forward to riding with the two of you in 2 weeks on your return south to BC and US.
NakedBikeRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #81
Quikegeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
Well said

".. plan ahead, look where you want to go, stay relaxed, breath and stay smooth with all you movements, have faith/comfort in the knowledge that your motorcycle will do amazing things if you dance with her and always ride your own ride even when with someone on a similar bike...
Sooooo true! what a great advice!

Drive safe guys!! .. !
Quikegeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #82
Quikegeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
QUIKEGEO,

WHY dream about it? Let me know if I can connect you with the dealer that got me mine. I think 2013's will come out in a few months? it'll be better than mine!

Not yet .. not yet. I am living the dream with my G650GS!! Soon or later, I will ride one of those!

Pura vida guys!
Quikegeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #83
selenesoler
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
SELENESOLER,

I look forward to meeting you too!

I made a video with "Bill's face". But the internet here is... relatively poor. I'll try relocating the laptop to see if a better signal could facilitate upload. I've been struggling with it for an hour now. I think though, that I should be able to upload it within 48 hours if not tonight. Sooner or later, we should encounter "good internet" right?

Thanks for following us.

My friends have ALWAYS told me that I have limitless energy. But I can't remember a time in my life I ever had the energy Bill has. He's a very unusual, special person. I literally can't keep up with him.

Keep posting here... and make any requests you like. I'll do my best to accomodate!
Thank you Clif. I look forward to seeing my honey's face, and yours too. Please tell Bill that "tinchohs" who is also following you guys is my son Martín.
Yes, Bill is unusual and special and mostly adorable (except when someone tries to interfere with his riding...). Please tell him how much I miss him and love him, and I am sending the two of you lots of Light to protect you and keep having a great time! In the meantime, I'm going to and toast to you both.
selenesoler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #84
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Subscribed!

A big, hmmmm, damn, not sure.... But I give you guys mad credit for being new riders and taking off on a trip like this with K1600's!

Looking forward to more posts and videos. Ride safe and enjoy!
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #85
judgebill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Tonight in Fort Nelson, British Columbia

Dawson Creek to Fort Nelson today. A bit less than 300 miles. Frankly, the ride was boring. Clif enjoyed it and I guess it was all right. But, road is in excellent shape, long, long, long stretches of straight but very slightly undulating road, wide swathes of green grass on both sides (forest cut back to give drivers an opportunity to see animals) and then thick pine forests. Endlessly. For 300 miles. That's what I mean about boring. A few riders here in Ft. Nelson also heading up north. Some BMWs and a couple Harleys. Windy off an on but not bad. No rain, scattered clouds. No mountains in sight this leg. Plenty of time to reflect upon the joys of riding. Many people we meet along the way say "I'd like to do that someday". We respond the same way every time: "just do it". I admire Clif, he decided he wanted to "do it" and he did. We all have our priorities and justifications for doing whatever we do. And we always do what we want to do. We lead the life we choose to lead. Clif chose to ride. He had alternatives and this is what he chose. There are always reasons why not to do something you want to do. Bottom line really is that we do what we want to do. We choose and our choices make the life we live. So we have to choose wisely.

judgebill screwed with this post 07-28-2012 at 06:32 PM Reason: clean up spelling.
judgebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #86
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,098
Thumb

Tomorrow Stone Mountain, Muncho Lake Provincial Park and Liard Hot Springs, very good. Goats, buffalo and more, all good. Watson Lake, not so good.

Harry Swan screwed with this post 06-29-2012 at 11:00 PM
Harry Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #87
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Reply to dave 201206292200

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyL View Post
Gents;

I'm on the wrong coast, otherwise I would find a reason to ride along with you two for a while. This has the potential to be a great story!

Ride safe and keep the rubber side down.

Dave
REPLY TO DAVE 201206292200 Fort Nelson, BC Canada

Thanks Dave. Bill and I should write a book together. Our writing represents different styles - and it'd be fun to "keep the tour going" - even if in the journey of writing a story or book.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #88
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Reply to ivanhoe 201206292200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanhoe-2001 View Post
Made the trip last July. Just remember there was and probably still is road construction ( mostly gravel with rolling terraces) for 240 miles between Haines Junction Yukon and Tok, AK. The problem with the gravel is it is not consistant. Sometimes it gets very deep other times it is just loose on top of a hard surface. Also pot hole after pot hole. I left my Wing at home and rode a DL 650 V-Strom. Never had a problem but there were plenty others that did. One guy was pulling a trailer on the gravel and lost it. He and his wife were hospitalized.
If you can, do not miss the stretch between Carcross, Yukon and Skagway, Alaska. That to me was the prettiest stretch. You can take the short ferry ride over to Haines, Alaska and the ride back North and that ride is almost as good as the one coming in.

ic
REPLY TO IVANHOE 201206292200 BC CANADA / FORT NELSON

Ivanhoe, thanks for sharing your energetic, happy photo. Did you witness the trailer going off the road?

Yes, today I encountered the gravel for the first time. I think I have it on helmet cam. Mine was ... my first encounter with the gravel was dramatic because just a split second prior, a ... huge vehicle kicked up a dust storm. So one moment, I'm horrified to finally discover the gravel, then suddenly, I'm going ... like 70 or 80 over gravel and I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #89
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Wicked Reply to steve 201206292206 bc canada / fort nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
I'm looking forward to the Cliffs Notes...on this one. You guys rock!

My first bike was a GSXR 1000 I paid $300 at a mechanic's lien. Wow, what a motorcycle! I rode it every chance I got, very conservatively. I'd get up in the morning and go for a jaunt around the city streets, endlessly starting and stopping. Clutch and brake control all the time. I had a blast learning! Looking back on it, would prolly have been better to start on a smaller bike, but no one was hurt in my experiment, so it was all good.

I then took the MSRF course on a VERY tiny motorcycle. This class taught me all about survival, and I still remember all the techniques, and practive what I learned. Viva la MSRF!

Now, it's been about 280000 crashless miles on a variety of BMWs (and one VFR-thanks Mark)! Life gets on better than this. Riding and more riding, has taken my mind off serious life altering issues and allowed me to find balance.

It sounds like it's been this way for you as well! I am looking forward to your ride report!

Steve in So Cal

ps-I saw two Gold Wings at Prudhoe Bay. While not my Weapon of Choice for the Haul Road, it only proves that you can bring what you run!
REPLY TO STEVE 201206292206 BC CANADA / FORT NELSON

Hi Steve, Bill and I talked about your post. We liked it a lot - especially how motorcycling takes your mind off things. Smart people know that taking your mind off "things" usually results in better handling of them. That's life, right? -- "things" and "them" :)
Old 06-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #90
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Reply to gooner 201206292209 bc canada / fort nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
Ride on Gents. Enjoy your adventure.

REPLY TO GOONER 201206292209 BC CANADA / FORT NELSON

According to your icon, I should say... "YESSIR!"