Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #91
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Oddometer: 1,315
Cool2 Reply to stuffyyff 201206292209 bc canada / fort nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuffyyff View Post
Three pages and no pics by the OP. Hmmmmm.
REPLY TO STUFFYYFF 201206292209 BC CANADA / FORT NELSON

Ok, your id is hard to spell!

Three pages and no pics? Now it's 6 pages!!

Selene wanted a vid showing Bill... so if you go here, you'll see our video...
http://youtu.be/1Wtkt16B1GU
Or, look up "Bill Clif Cache Creek"

The Chinese say a picture is worth a thousand words. Clif Notes says: One youtube is worth one word --> AWESOMENESS!!

ClifNotes screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 01:41 PM
ClifNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #92
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

REPLY TO MISTRESS OF THE DUAL 201206292216 bc canada fort nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress of the dual View Post
No pics, but at least we got some video
REPLY TO MISTRESS OF THE DUAL 201206292216 bc canada fort nelson

Where did you get your mysterious name?

Yes - thank you for leading them to the light... the youtube light!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #93
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Thumb REPLY TO SELENESOLER 201206292218 bc canada fort nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenesoler View Post
Hi honey. It took a while to be able to write here but I made it. Just want to follow you and Clif. Remember to insist with Bill F and Elen or (love these thingies, had never used them before). We love you, we miss you. have funand know how important you are to us.
REPLY TO SELENESOLER 201206292218 bc canada fort nelson

Wow, I think only a handful of men ever get to have such sweet messages!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #94
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Eek REPLY TO TINCHOHS 201206292218 bc canada fort nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinchohs View Post
Hey guys, how exciting! It sounds like an we some journey. Enjoy. Stay safe and keep logging miles and writing stories for those of us who follow from the comfort of the couch. :)
REPLY TO TINCHOHS 201206292218 bc canada fort nelson

Miles, Kilometers, Gravel Roads - OH MY!

(you see the dorothy reference right?)

About miles, motorcycle tires can wear out around 6,000ish - especially on ... um... BC roads??

SAY IT AINT SO!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #95
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Laugh REPLY TO SILVERTWIN 201206292221 bc canada fort nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTwin View Post
I made the journey from Middle Tn to Alaska in 05. I f I have any words of wisdom, it's to slow down and smell the fireweed. In hindsight, I was under too much stress to make deadlines and did not savor all that the experience had to offer. Do not be rushed. When you are in a hurry you can make a mistake. You do not want to make a mistake. Take your time, enjoy every day, and try to remember every moment.

REPLY TO SILVERTWIN 201206292221 bc canada fort nelson

Thank you for your advice from experience. Time to find your "Silver Twin" (by the way, I am riding a silver GTL... so... hint hint) and hit that Alaska road the right way!!! Don't worry, the gravel will definitely slow you down!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #96
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Cry REPLY TO BOB 201206292224 bc canada fort nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
Well said

I'm sure the "fears" you describe we all share(d) at times in our riding experiences. You are on a big, heavy and powerful motorcycle that offers you some of the best of handling, braking, lighting, etc., while on modern tires with traction and wear properties well beyond anything available not so many years ago. Keep practicing all the basics of your riding classes, plan ahead, look where you want to go, stay relaxed, breath and stay smooth with all you movements, have faith/comfort in the knowledge that your motorcycle will do amazing things if you dance with her and always ride your own ride even when with someone on a similar bike. Confidence when playing follow the leader can be a helpful tool as you know your bike can do it too, but there is no substitution for good skills developed with experience as it is most often the rider that makes the difference rather than the machine. BTW, motorcycles are very stable on wet roads and your bike is as good in the wet as she is on the dry, but I believe the "slippery" stuff referred to in AK is when you get on dirt and gravel roads then add water. You'll have a ball, take your time and stay loose and the fun meter will stay pegged on the good side.

Not intending to sound preachy, just a reply to your shared thoughts. BTW, You could be on any bike and get injured or worse by being a poor rider so don't fear the 1600, just respect her heft and power and explore/enjoy all she can do to enhance your travels.

Cheers
REPLY TO BOB 201206292224 bc canada fort nelson

Thank you Bob! Bill and I talked about your post.

I like your analogy of "dancing" with the motorcycle. I... won't step on her toes and I definitely don't want her stepping on mine!!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #97
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Cool2 REPLY TO OLDTOURING 201206292224 bc canada fort nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtouring B View Post
Try not to over think your actions--Just react and a habit pattern will develop.

When passing any vehicle drop down one or two gears and haul a##

The tunnel taught you that the bike goes where you look.

Your bike weighs 750# No need to worry about wind blast.

When passing a semi take a quick glance at the tires that are close to you. U are looking for tread seperation.

Try to RELAX a little more each day.

No need to worry about rain on paved roads that are free of gravel. The tires today have amazing traction.
REPLY TO OLDTOURING 201206292224 bc canada fort nelson

Thank you!

I have a couple questions...

First, why do you shift down before passing?

(The haul ass part, I get - haha)

And what do you mean by tread separation?

Thanks
Old 06-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #98
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Pissed REPLY TO RGIROUX 201206292227 bc canada fort nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiroux View Post
great tips. also would recommend you "go with the flow" to some extent as you break the bow wave of the truck you are passing. hard to describe, but you wanna just tell yourself a blast is coming, relax, and dont over-react to it when it gets there. that bike wants to stay up, and stay straight.

kudos to you both. for doing the trip, for doing it on those bikes (only because they are pretty and your going to hit some gravel ), and for a newbie combining all these into his first trip.

definitely subscribed!
REPLY TO RGIROUX 201206292227 bc canada fort nelson

Thank you. I felt more relaxed passing ... (I mean coming in the opposite direction. Passing in the oncoming lane to get by slow trucks still terrifies me!)

Is it just me, or did I discover that speeding up / accelerating through the wind blast actually makes me more stable? Sometimes, I also put my tummy and chest against the gas tank on the GTL and that prevents the feeling of getting socked in the gut or getting pulled on my arms.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #99
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Cry REPLY TO SOLARMOOSE 201206292227 bc canada fort nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarmoose View Post
Clifnotes,
You've received some great advice from bobw and oldtouringB and it is worth noting.

I live in Fairbanks AK, lived here most of my life, been over the AlCan many
times. AlCan = ALaska CANadian highway though the Canadians mostly
refer to it as the Alaska Highway. It starts in Dawson Creek, BC and ends at
Delta Junction AK. It was built in the early 40's as a supply road for WWII.
My folks drove up here in the late 40's so I've seen it "evolve" over a long time.
My wife and I rode our bikes up this past May and its in the best shape I've ever seen it.
We both ride heavy street tour bikes like yours.

Its very popular with bikers. You'll see lots of motorbikes, and lots of RV's
plus semi's and oil field service vehicles. There is lots of cool stuff to see
so keep in mind the RV drivers may not be looking for you.

The alcan is "paved" all the way. Much of it is chip-seal. Fresh chip-seal is a
bit like driving on marbles before it gets packed into a hard surface. If you
get into any of that just slow up a bit, relax and let the bike do its thing.
We saw no fresh chip seal in May.

There will be construction zones with pilot trucks; there were four places
where the road was washed out in early June due to unusual heavy rain.
Two between Watson Lake and Teslin and two more between Haines Jct
and Kluane Lake.
The section from Kluane Lake to Beaver Creek is bumpy with frost heaves.
There also are several short (few hundred feet) gravel sections and most are marked.

There are four or so steel grate bridges, not unique to the Alcan but you
don't see them everyday. The bike will feel a bit "squirrely." Reduce speed
a bit, keep it constant, relax the grip and let the bike wander. It won't go far.

We all had our first long distance ride at some point. Its the best time.

SM
REPLY TO SOLARMOOSE 201206292233 bc canada fort nelson

THANKS Moose! Speaking of moose, I hope you watch my moose youtube vid! I saw him on the side of the road and had fun filming it.

What are frost heaves?

The steel gate bridges GO ON FAR! And they are a bit scary. I really really want to look directly down - and see the river through it... I think that's what you're talking about. The ground are really steel grates? But I can't look down because I was taught not to look where I'm not going (or wanting to go). Also... I tried it and A FEW TIMES I almost went off the path!!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #100
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Laugh REPLY TO LIMEYMIKE 201206292236 bc canada fort nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeymike View Post
Ist bike; a 1600GTL, 1st trip; Alaska.

I know I'm not the only one thinking what i'm thinking. . . .
REPLY TO LIMEYMIKE 201206292236 bc canada fort nelson

I don't know what you're thinking... I know some friends said or indicated things like:

1. You're really crazy!
2. You're gonna die
3. Buy life insurance

I definitely pray more these days!

But... usually, in between prayers, I think "Wow... I never saw the world like this. I NEVER want to stop riding!!"
Old 06-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #101
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Laugh REPLY TO IDRIDER 201206292239 bc canada fort nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRider View Post
That there is a very fine line between being cool or the idiot?

I have to say that I am damn jealous on many levels.

I am enjoying this ride report very much, please keep it up.

Ride safe.
REPLY TO IDRIDER 201206292239 bc canada fort nelson

Does idrider mean "I'm da rider!" ?

I think everyone that's jealous and wants to ride forever... we should get together and think of a way to actually ride forever. There must be some new formula we can put together - that would allow us to keep riding all the time and still pay our expenses?

I step on both sides of the "FINE LINE" you write about. On the idiot side, I started passing a semi when I knew I shouldn't have... there were double yellows, a hill in front of me... I just got seduced by the semi probably trying to help me, and had slowed down a lot. I failed to realize that he / she (well, most truck drivers seem to be guys) could help me by slowing down, but NOT by yelling out the window and saying, "Hold on whipper snapper - there's a semi coming up the hill just now!"

And ... sure enough, it did. I just saw it rise in front of me. I spent a good 5 - 10 minutes (and now) thinking about what would have happened if that oncoming truck came a few seconds later, and I had gunned it.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

On being cool... I'd say the coolest thing I did today was seeing a crow at the side of the road. He / she (in my mind, it's a he) just had his beak kind of open and was observing the road. I was going probably 70 or 80... but for that one short moment, I was connected to the crow, and it made me feel happy.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #102
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Talking REPLY TO myself & IDRIDER 201206292247 bc canada fort nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClifNotes View Post
REPLY TO IDRIDER 201206292239 bc canada fort nelson

Does idrider mean "I'm da rider!" ?

I think everyone that's jealous and wants to ride forever... we should get together and think of a way to actually ride forever. There must be some new formula we can put together - that would allow us to keep riding all the time and still pay our expenses?

I step on both sides of the "FINE LINE" you write about. On the idiot side, I started passing a semi when I knew I shouldn't have... there were double yellows, a hill in front of me... I just got seduced by the semi probably trying to help me, and had slowed down a lot. I failed to realize that he / she (well, most truck drivers seem to be guys) could help me by slowing down, but NOT by yelling out the window and saying, "Hold on whipper snapper - there's a semi coming up the hill just now!"

And ... sure enough, it did. I just saw it rise in front of me. I spent a good 5 - 10 minutes (and now) thinking about what would have happened if that oncoming truck came a few seconds later, and I had gunned it.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

On being cool... I'd say the coolest thing I did today was seeing a crow at the side of the road. He / she (in my mind, it's a he) just had his beak kind of open and was observing the road. I was going probably 70 or 80... but for that one short moment, I was connected to the crow, and it made me feel happy.
REPLY TO myself & IDRIDER 201206292247 bc canada fort nelson

What bothers me about being an idiot is that when or if you do it on a motorcycle, you can ... you know - like it could be your last idiot thing to do.

I find though that I ... I've learned not to dwell on it. I think if I freaked out on just 25% of the dumb things I've done on this trip, I'd probably need meds to calm down.

I just try to focus on skill, on watching my own improvement occur (often - and mostly it seems subconscious / muscle memory). I try not to think about too much, "that could be the end of this edition of Clif Notes." And more like, "Next time I won't do that."

And I trust Bill a lot, who is (I don't know how he does it) riding and watching me simultaneously. And he gives me tips all throughout every day.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #103
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Eh? REPLY TO Harry Swan 201206292253 bc canada fort nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Swan View Post
When you run into a wet freshly graded road under construction from this point and further north, you need to be very careful. They use a bonding agent, calcium chloride I believe, which when mixed with water and graded into the road surface it will dry to hard motorcycle safe surface to ride. BUT when it's wet it's as slipery a surface as you'll ever likely to find. Second, it's a bonding agent and when wet mixed with whatever soil it will fill in the spaces on your tire leaving you essentially with slicks. In the worst case when that happens and you give a little too much throttle or make a directional change you may find yourself going down the road sideways. I know that from personal experience.

If you take the Top of the World highway make sure it's dry! If you get into construction stay loose, calm, straight up and down and keep a steady throttle. As has been said if you're in wet situations and the bike starts to get loose stay with it. Don't panic ... just ride. That's advice I wish someone had shared with me back when. No matter how dire or slick a road up north might get it's still worth it and I'll be back up as often as I can.

Good luck and ride safe.
REPLY TO Harry Swan 201206292253 bc canada fort nelson

I like your name much better than "Potter".

Thanks for your tips. When you say "construction" - you meant loose gravel? Jeez! Ran into that today and didn't like it at all! Bill had to stop and teach me how to ride through that stuff.

Did you know that... (of course you didn't know). You SHOULD know that just this morning, a biker (on a naked bike - i learned what it meant today) "strongly advised" Bill and I do the Top of the World Highway.

Did you have to take a ferry to ride on it?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #104
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Cool2 REPLY TO OLDTOURING 201206292257 bc canada fort nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtouring B View Post
Don't get Monkey Butt. It can make grown men cry!!
REPLY TO OLDTOURING 201206292257 bc canada fort nelson

You mean "that rash" ?

I got it during my practice days before the tour. Yeah... didn't like it. Luckily, I didn't get it on this trip so far. Bill got me an Airhawk!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #105
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Cry REPLY TO BILL 201206292259 bc canada fort nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebill View Post
Dawson Creek today (6/28). Long day, 500 miles, 12 hours (including gas stops, pit stops and food stops). Saw some wildlife today, 3 moose (2 cows and a bull) on separatte occasions. The cow moose decided to cross the road right in front of me. Fortunately I saw her from a distance and had slowed to a crawl. She was BIG. Also saw a deer running alongside the road and even a black bear, also alongside the road. Talked to one fellow here in town who said that at least once a day someone hits a deer or moose. Probably an exaggeration but should make the body shop people happy.
Teh mountains rise straight out of the ground, no foothills like I'm used to in California. And they are covered with towering pines from the very foot to the very top. Saw snow t oday, first time on the trip. Up high. The snow melt runs downhill and makes nice small waterfalls alongside the hig hway.
Traffic has been light in both directions. When someone wants to pass we simply pull over and slow down. Speeds are marekd in kilometers per hour and while the speedometer shows the conversion my eyes can't read. Teh result is I ride according ot what I would anticipate California speeds would be, moderated by road conditions. Also, there isn't much danger of hitting a moose in California.
Eventhough it was a long day I find this bike is such a delight t hat I don't feel the exhaustion I would have expected. I guess thats a testimony to the comfort and overall design of the bike. In other words, I will attest to the idea of riding all day on this bike and still feeling great. Clif absolutely agrees. As an aside, my first bike was a K1200LT and it too was wonderful on long rides. Then I had a 1200 GSA, which was great but not as comfortable for long trips. I have an F800GS in Uruguay which I dearlly love and have ridden it on long trips but it definitely doesn't compare favorable with the 1600.
Tomorrow we resume and will tell all.
Bill

REPLY TO BILL 201206292259 bc canada fort nelson

Bill, Thanks for another AWESOME DAY! (And one that up this far North literally never ends) Before anyone takes that comment the wrong way - I'm talking about how the sun doesn't set up here - EVER!

Why do you like the k16 over the k12? What do you like better about the k12? It's so popular!