Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
The Game OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
San Diego to Albuquerque, with injuries!

Alright, in case you folks missed my last thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799403

I was riding Palomar Mountain as part of my weekend of adventure riding and ended up breaking my ankle, foot, leg and messing up my spinal cord. Unfortunately, it was time I left town and I wasn't going to let my injuries keep me from my destination. I'm sure I'll get called crazy for this- have many times already, but not even a week later I rode from San Diego, California to Albuquerque, New Mexico, in a full Dainese track suit in the heat of the desert no less... This is a tale of my journey!

Luggage locked and loaded, breakfast eaten, sitting in San Marcos, about to take the the 78 to the 15.

Some where just outside of Blythe Arizona.

Thank goodness for Subway's quite literally in the middle of no where. If it were not for those air conditioned sanctuary's of six inch perfection I would have surely died. I hope they didn't mind me "un-suiting" in the middle of their establishments.

Fueling up just outside of no where.

Yay! Finally! Made it to Phoenix! Rolled in right before sunset in 112 degree heat, full Dainese track leathers and all.

Boy did it feel good to get into that nice air conditioned hotel room and get those things off.

After a late awakening and getting lost in search of a no longer existing Krispy Kreme, it was time to head north to Flagstaff. Talk about a damn beautiful ride, I-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff was spectacular. First the huge cactus, then the plateaus and finally into the forests. This was taken just a ways outside Flagstaff.

As I was taking that last picture, these fellows rolled up. I told them I would make this thread! (I hope they end up seeing it, they were super cool dudes.) We decided to roll into Flagstaff together. They were headed on a nice Sunday ride up to The Grand Canyon!

Filling up in Flagstaff. After a bit of chit chat, it was time to part ways. I hope you guys had a good ride!

Some where in Northern Arizona/New Mexico (I don't know honestly...) I might have gone... A tad bit fast? Luckily some very friendly police officers told me to knock it back down into the double digits which I did (isn't it amazing how when police are friendly to you, you actually listen to them?).

Woohoo! Finally, made it to Albuquerque in one piece. I still need to get a more picturesque photograph, but this one'll have to do for now. This is over on the westside near where I'm staying.

Here's a bonus shot of me chillin' downtown on Route 66.

What an amazing and adventurous trip it was. There's probably a lot more to tell of this tale, but for here and now this should suffice. I love my ZX10R, can't say it's the best touring platform but I don't care, I chase adventure on two wheels whenever and wherever possible. My back was okay for the most part, my right wrist was bruised up and sore from the accident a week prior so that wasn't the greatest. My legs got very cramped (I'm 6'0 tall) and I had to do a lot of creative things to stretch them along the journey.

Well, I hope you folks enjoyed my little story, but as always the journey is yet to be over. I have a lot more rides planned out around New Mexico and beyond and I'll be sure to post them here. Until then, keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down!
Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Machete-LC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Great pics, nice ride! Next time you go from Phoenix to Flagstaff make sure you go through Sedona. The "old" highway between Sedona and Flagstaff is an amazing ride! Lots of twisties!
Old 06-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
mathews42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Nice report and pics! I work down town ABQ around from where your bike was parked. Be safe!
mathews42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
The Game OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Thanks you guys! I'll definitely go back to Phoenix, hopefully sooner than later and will be sure to ride that route.

And yeah, Dontown ABQ can be a bit sketchy at certain times if you aren't careful, I'll keep about my wits :p
Old 06-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Good job! Get into the mountains outside Albuquerque when you get a chance.

Ride safely,
Steve