Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #16
Paul G_ OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Hey guys. Yep, haven't left yet - but thanks Dave for the info. :)

Good to know about 138 in Quebec, I was wondering about that vs 20.

TMT - awesome! Can't believe I didn't know about that. I'll try to get a Friday/Monday off work and do a three day loop with that included.

@Dave - Welcome back. What I'd REALLY like to know is how much dirt is left, where it is, and if it's still all "marbles" as other riders have said! I'm still not up to speed on all the lingo - 80/20 is road/dirt? (aka dual-purpose, or dual-sport?). Which model Kendas did you have? My KLR 650 '12 has relatively aggressive tread, but if I don't hit the trail until early September I'll probably have to replace them. Did you have to carry spare fuel? How many days did it end up taking you? Any flats? Advice on direction to do the loop?

Some upates...
My Wolfman saddlebags and racks came in today and I already got them installed. They're smaller than I thought, but should be OK with a bag on the rack. I decided to go for the crashbar after all. I got the SW-MOTOTECH with their center stand. What a PIA to get that all installed! You practically have to take the whole bike apart. Good learning experience, and I didn't end up with any extra screws, which is always a good thing... :) I'm still waiting on the Kawa tall windshield to come in and I think that will be the end of the upgrades - not including tires. Here's a pic from today:

Thanks!

-Paul
Paul G_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
trevhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
september

hey paul,

i've been planning on doing a similar route but leaving from upstate ny. i was planning on the counter clockwise run, hit the tlh earlier on in the trip and give it the time it needs. i've been riding three years on a 2006 bmw dakar, that is a 650 as well. i am planning, fingers crossed, to leave early september. i was thinking, and my wife is pushing, to find another traveler to do this portion of the trip with. my first long trip was also only three short months after getting a bike, i did the cabot trail and i really am looking forward to going back north. i enjoy riding alone but if the time comes and we are both looking for a riding buddy for the tlh we should stay in touch. just a thought, i'll keep an eye on this thread. t
trevhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #18
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul G_ View Post
What I'd REALLY like to know is how much dirt is left, where it is, and if it's still all "marbles" as other riders have said!

The only section they're paving is the one between Lab City and Happy Valley-Goose Bay, 330 miles overall, but they're not done yet. I'm assuming that by the end of August they'll be about two-thirds done with this.

The road is still gravel from Manic 5 to Gagnon (about 85 miles), Fire Lake to Fermont (50 twisty and hilly miles with plenty of blind curves and railroad crossings -- this stretch is notorious among locals for crashed vehicles, not just bikes but also cars and trucks), and HV-GB to Red Bay (330 miles). And, as I said, I would guess around 100 miles between Lab City and HV-GB, probably broken up by a short paved section in Churchill Falls.

"Marbles" refers to a layer of loose gravel on top of hardpack -- very sketchy because the individual stones are free to roll around beneath your tires. This is what you'll find on most of the Trans-Lab. If you're lucky the graders won't have been through recently and most of the gravel will have been pushed aside, exposing the hardpack base, which is as good as pavement. If you're unlucky you'll encounter freshly-graded gravel the whole way.

If you're dead set on doing this trip this summer with minimal experience, then at least keep in mind how to read the road surface. Always stick to the clearest tracks you can -- those are your friend, the loose gravel in between is not.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #19
Paul G_ OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevhead View Post
hey paul,

i've been planning on doing a similar route but leaving from upstate ny. i was planning on the counter clockwise run, hit the tlh earlier on in the trip and give it the time it needs. i've been riding three years on a 2006 bmw dakar, that is a 650 as well. i am planning, fingers crossed, to leave early september. i was thinking, and my wife is pushing, to find another traveler to do this portion of the trip with. my first long trip was also only three short months after getting a bike, i did the cabot trail and i really am looking forward to going back north. i enjoy riding alone but if the time comes and we are both looking for a riding buddy for the tlh we should stay in touch. just a thought, i'll keep an eye on this thread. t
Hey trevhead. Cool - how flexible is your timing? I'm leaning towards the last week of August and the first week of September. I'd probably be up for meeting around the ferry to Labrador since I want to see some family and do some hiking before then. I'm also planning to visit some friends near Quebec City.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #20
Paul G_ OP
Adventurer

tires

What do you all thing about heidenau k60 scouts for this trip? I've been drooling over them since I found them. :)
Old 07-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #21
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What do you all thing about heidenau k60 scouts for this trip? I've been drooling over them since I found them. :)
They should do the trick pretty well. But it might make sense to run a Heidenau rear and a slightly more aggressive front, such as a Conti TKC-80.

Looks like I'll be heading up there again on my way to Newfoundland, last two weeks of August. I'm not completely decided yet on what tires to run; may go with a Heidenau rear myself. Almost certainly a TKC front. I wish Kenda Big Blocks lasted longer -- they'd be ideal tires for this trip except for their very quick wear.

--mark

Old 07-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #22
DaveMedfield
not a Llama

Oddometer: 8
Thumb Additional info post TLH trip

The simple answer is there is still LOTS of dirt road on the TLH. I think the calculation ended up around 520 miles of gravel at the moment (please correct if anyone has a more accurate figure) . Direction is entirely personal choice. we had a great time east-west and the folks we met coming the other way also had a great time!

Red Bay to Cartwright and then the Happy Halley/Goose bay is entirely dirt. Out of Happy Valley about 40K blacktop and then dirt till Churchill Falls...then dirt for 40K or so untill it's along section of black top to Labrador city and then to Fermont..Once in Quebec, then back to dirt all the way to Manic 5 dam,this the section that is being blacktopped too. They are aiming to blacktop about 100K per year in Quebec and between Lab City and HV/GB according to some of the locals we chatted with.

The "marbles" are in sections... the first section from Red Bay being one of the worst. The road conditions can change quickly ....when you hit a patch of deep loose gravel....it's scary with a heavily loaded bike! For the most part the road was in much better (firmer) condition that we expected....but it changes all the time. It will be different when you go! The worst part when I rode in terms of rough surface, was the section west of Churchill Falls blacktop.

If you have a standard KLR tank I think you'll probably need fuel. I'ts a good idea anyway. I have a 6.6gal extended tank and never hit reserve, I think the longest section was Catrwright to Happy Valley ~210 miles including some side trips! I carried an extra gallon just to be sure. My riding buddy needed his extra gallon.

4 days from L'Anse au Loup to Baie Comeau, 8 days total which fit into the amount of vacation time I have available for this trip. . If I ever do this again, I'd allot 2 weeks and do lots more side excursions. Newfoundland is lovely and I'd do the Esker siding, for example.

No Flats. I carried spare tubes and gear to change if I needed to. I had (new) Kenda K270's and the guy I rode with had 80:20 road : dirt tires. He wished he had more aggressive tires. I wore about 1/2 my Kendas down on the ~3200 mile round trip , most of the wear was on the road from Boston up and back, so if you have any doubt get new ones... The Kenda K270 I was very happy with (and cheap too) for TLH. A center-stand would be nice if you did get a flat (I don't have one)...but if you are cunning , you don't need one!

It's still very much an adventure ride in the real sense!

Dave.

DaveMedfield screwed with this post 07-09-2012 at 09:30 PM
DaveMedfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #23
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMedfield View Post
Out of Happy Valley about 40K blacktop and then dirt till Churchill Falls...then dirt for 40K or so untill it's along section of black top to Labrador city and then to Fermont..
Interesting. Sounds like that's changed less since I was last there than I expected. They've just extended the pavement a little further from Lab City, but sounds like they've barely paved anything more between Churchill Falls and HV-GB.

Quote:
Once in Quebec, then back to dirt all the way to Manic 5 dam,this the section that is being blacktopped too. They are aiming to blacktop about 100K per year in Quebec and between Lab City and HV/GB according to some of the locals we chatted with.
Now that's REALLY interesting. That's the first I had heard about any real plans to pave the Quebec section. Is it actually under construction yet?

Quote:
The "marbles" are in sections... the first section from Red Bay being one of the worst.
Yeah, the section leaving/approaching (depending on which direction you're going) Red Bay is notorious. That's some sketchy gravel all right, and the wind can get really strong in that area, making it very difficult to hold a line. Thankfully that section's not very long.

--mark

Old 07-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #24
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 549
Laugh time in the saddle

post #341 on http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774578 has a vid of our leader's crash on a section of crowned, loose marbley road. He's a great guy, very experienced; but the conditions got him. Speed, more throttle, experience didn't help. Try that on your KLR a few times, loaded or not. Post on that thread if you want the road's location.

Better ATGATT would have helped, IMHO. Ebay item#251100643034 Hit Air Jacket.

So if you can get yourself to that road & practice, I think that would help prepare you for conditions on your route. You'd get a real good sense for tires, air pressure.

Also, NH trails are closer than the TMT (certainly do both if you have time). Try the Derry Freeport out & back http://www.nhstateparks.org/explore/...l-fremont.aspx fully loaded - you should get to a point where you think that's easy, depending on what tires.

Out of the box - I use a www.moto-mule.com & think it helps by keeping the weight low, off the bike & the 3rd wheel helps stabilize. Someone just did the Roaming Rally with one.

Have a great trip you lucky bastid
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:23 AM   #25
Paul G_ OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
They should do the trick pretty well. But it might make sense to run a Heidenau rear and a slightly more aggressive front, such as a Conti TKC-80.
Good idea - the fronts didn't really impress me as much. Can you run tubeless tires like these on the stock rims?

-Paul
Old 07-17-2012, 06:07 AM   #26
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Good idea - the fronts didn't really impress me as much. Can you run tubeless tires like these on the stock rims?
Yes, running a tube in a tubeless tire is no problem.

--mark

Old 07-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #27
Nag'em
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:

Now that's REALLY interesting. That's the first I had heard about any real plans to pave the Quebec section. Is it actually under construction yet?

--mark
I did the TransLab first week of July on a KLR. We ran into some construction between Churchill Falls and Lab City, but the most intense area of construction was from Fire Lake to Relais Gabriel, and just a bit after that. Between Fire Lake and Relais Gabriel, it seemed like we went from one construction zone to the next. That leg in particular took longer than expected.

There's a lot of traffic--and those construction trucks travel very fast--and a lot of dust so no time to be complacent. At one point we had to cross the berm the grader was making in a construction zone. That'll wake you up!

I had a Dunlop 606 rear and a Pirelli MT21 front. And I was glad:) They wore well on the pavement (extra air in them for those portions in NB, NS and NL) and on the dirt.

But don't get me wrong--we had a fantastic time:) Was all worth it!

Nag'em screwed with this post 07-17-2012 at 05:25 PM Reason: can't spell!
Nag'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #28
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nag'em View Post
I did the TransLab first week of July on a KLR. We ran into some construction between Churchill Falls and Lab City, but the most intense area of construction was from Fire Lake to Relais Gabriel, and just a bit after that. Between Fire Lake and Relais Gabriel, it seemed like we went from one construction zone to the next. That leg in particular took longer than expected.
Wow, really? Were they laying down pavement, or just rebuilding the road bed? The section between Gagnon and Fire Lake is already paved, and the pavement was in good enough shape in September 2010 that I can't imagine they'd be repaving that now, but it was dirt all the way from Gagnon to Relais Gabriel.

--mark

Old 07-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #29
Nag'em
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Wow, really? Were they laying down pavement, or just rebuilding the road bed? The section between Gagnon and Fire Lake is already paved, and the pavement was in good enough shape in September 2010 that I can't imagine they'd be repaving that now, but it was dirt all the way from Gagnon to Relais Gabriel.

--mark
You're right--I should have said below Gagnon rather than Fire Lake. There is new pavement below Gagnon (didn't count how many miles of it), and by times we were riding on dirt in one lane while they paved the other. We were told that the construction crews between there and Relais Gabriel were all getting ready to pave. How soon it will all be done no one said.
Nag'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #30
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nag'em View Post
You're right--I should have said below Gagnon rather than Fire Lake. There is new pavement below Gagnon (didn't count how many miles of it), and by times we were riding on dirt in one lane while they paved the other. We were told that the construction crews between there and Relais Gabriel were all getting ready to pave. How soon it will all be done no one said.
That's really interesting. Have they done anything to the twisty gravel section from Fire Lake to Fermont?

--mark