Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 04:37 AM   #16
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Man, I love these "LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!" airhead threads.
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:41 AM   #17
hoodun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
New Rings

I received the new rings. I wanted to replace the old style oil ring with a more modern design. San Franciscans can get smug if you blow oil onto the sidewalk and into their faces... I read that upgrading the oil ring will help with smoke. I get how the new oil rings go on though Im not sure how in the hell the other two go on. The middle one is in two pieces, or is that the top one? I cant find any info on this style ring. Also the g ring is completely square. There is no taper to it at all, which I believe the top ring should have? Confusing as hell. Anyone ever come across ring like these?

Here are the old style rings:

hoodun screwed with this post 07-13-2012 at 04:50 AM
hoodun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #18
hoodun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Finally finished with the paint. Could not resist the classic black color scheme. I also base and cleared the frame to give it more of the single color scheme look of the older airheads.

The reassembly can now start.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #19
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 459
Beautiful paint. Did you lay the stripes by hand?
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #20
tete
clown shoes

Oddometer: 348
geez man great stuff going on here! tank looks soo fresh soo clean.

I kinda can relate in some regards but your bike was in far worse shape than mine. Got mine for $1300, but mine came with an S fairing, xtra tank, luggage racks, fenders, gauges, etc.. I kinda got a bit lucky for sure.

Your bike is going to be sweet when finished.

if you need a /6 seat hit me up I have an OEM one with a new moto bins cover I was about to put up for sale.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #21
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodun View Post
I received the new rings. I wanted to replace the old style oil ring with a more modern design. San Franciscans can get smug if you blow oil onto the sidewalk and into their faces... I read that upgrading the oil ring will help with smoke. I get how the new oil rings go on though Im not sure how in the hell the other two go on. The middle one is in two pieces, or is that the top one? I cant find any info on this style ring. Also the g ring is completely square. There is no taper to it at all, which I believe the top ring should have? Confusing as hell. Anyone ever come across ring like these?

Here are the old style rings:

Your oil ring is actually a three piece, i.e the two thin rails with the expander in the middle. If you look closely at the expander ring you'll see where the rails sit.
The expander goes in first, make sure the ends don't overlap. then stagger the two rails at least 45 deg. from the expander ring gap on either side giving you a 90 deg gap. The rails don't have a top or bottom, while the compression rings do.
Looking at the top and second ring grooves on trhe piston you'll note that the depth is different between the two, IIRC. Install the new rings accordingly with whatever marking that is on the ring pointing up.
FWIW, Honda does it were the ring with a single mark is the top ring while the one with two marks is the second ring.
I'm sure others will chime in if I'm wrong on the BMW method.

Nice paint job on the bodywork and frame. What paint did you use if I may ask ?
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #22
rebelpacket
four-stroke earth-saw

Oddometer: 725
Nice progress! You surely got a handful with that bike, and seem to be taking it all in stride. It hurts when you keep going deeper and deeper into the project before realizing just how much needs to be done.

Did you measure the depth the old rear main seal was at before your removed it? Some of these seals sit weird in their recesses compared to more.... conventional motor designs.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #23
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,402
It's right the BMW rings have little tiny marks on the compression rings. The marks go on the top. towards the outside or towards the head. The two compression rings are shaped differently. You should see this when you take the old rings off. I might have it backwards but the second compression ring or the middle ring has a step in it. That's how I could tell when I was doing mine.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #24
Bluebone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
between this thread and Tete's thread i'm getting a lot of good info for when i find that airhead i can work on.
Bluebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #25
hoodun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post

Nice paint job on the bodywork and frame. What paint did you use if I may ask ?
I used an SPI Epoxy primer on everything and then shot it with Matrix systems paint on the tank and Nason on everything else. I only had enough Matrix for the tank and wanted to try it. If I was to do it again I would use Matrix on the whole thing. Simply because the Nason is really thin and needs to be thinned 2:1 (Paint to reducer), so you are actually spending more money in the long run. Matrix is 1:1. The Matrix System paint is really great paint from my minimal experience (this being the second thing I ever painted. first was with Nason).

Im about to paint my Jaguar XJS with Pro Spray (recommended by SPI) and SPI clear. I hear this is the easiest combination to work with.

Im also using a crappy $10 Harbor Freight hvlp gun with a 5hp compressor. The gun works fine, though its starting to leak air. its definitely a disposable sprayer. Im going to invest in a decent sprayer since I plan on doing this a few more times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
It's right the BMW rings have little tiny marks on the compression rings. The marks go on the top. towards the outside or towards the head. The two compression rings are shaped differently. You should see this when you take the old rings off. I might have it backwards but the second compression ring or the middle ring has a step in it. That's how I could tell when I was doing mine.
There is one mark on the middle compression ring. The top one has no marks anywhere. It looks like there may be a slight angle to the top ring. Ill check it with the micrometer before I assemble it.

hoodun screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 01:36 AM
Old 09-23-2012, 12:54 AM   #26
hoodun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelpacket View Post
Nice progress! You surely got a handful with that bike, and seem to be taking it all in stride. It hurts when you keep going deeper and deeper into the project before realizing just how much needs to be done.

Did you measure the depth the old rear main seal was at before your removed it? Some of these seals sit weird in their recesses compared to more.... conventional motor designs.
I knew what I was getting into with this thing. I enjoy the process.

I did not measure the seal. Im a bit worried about that. I did rip it all apart again and then made sure that I had it in there straight with the proper tool, that I purchased for $30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kt-88 View Post
Beautiful paint. Did you lay the stripes by hand?
Yes I painted the stripes by hand with a tape guide. I mostly brushed over the tape but was able to keep a steady hand during parts of it. At least the brush strokes are there. I then put a couple coats of clear over the stripes for protection.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #27
hoodun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Almost completely done with the tank. I chemically stripped it with phosphoric acid and coated the inside with red kote, prior to painting it.

Now Im trying to get these rubber pads on. Im using a 3M adhesive. The problem is I can only stand there holding it for so long. When I go away the edges pop out on me. Is there a specific adhesive that I should be using for this? Im going to clean these off and try again... I already started pulling it off as you can see in the photo. Seems like I have to do everything twice when I don't know what I'm doing. I guess that's the learning process.

hoodun screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 01:37 AM
Old 09-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #28
tenderfoot
PRJ

Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Almost completely done with the tank. I chemically stripped it with phosphoric acid and coated the inside with red kote, prior to painting it.

Now Im trying to get these rubber pads on. Im using a 3M adhesive. The problem is I can only stand there holding it for so long. When I go away the edges pop out on me. Is there a specific adhesive that I should be using for this? Im going to clean these off and try again... I already started pulling it off as you can see in the photo. Seems like I have to do everything twice when I don't know what I'm doing. I guess that's the learning process.
I used normal black silicone sealant, works a charm.
About 4 years now and no hassle.
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:26 AM   #29
hoodun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Im in the process of lacing the wheel. I used to lace bmx wheels when I was a kid so I think I can handle it...

I noticed the hubs are offset a little. Though they measure out the same on both sides so my logic tells me it doesnt matter which way the hub goes (see the photo). These hubs pretty much lace themselves. It took about 8 mins to lace it. Now I have to tru it...

If Im missing something here, chime in.

I also polished the rims. One thing I learned during the zen of it is that humans have a tendency to quit right when they are about to succeed. The rims could probably use a little more polishing. I will deal with it possibly when they are together. Its pretty good as is though imo.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #30
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,402
Quote:
There is one mark on the middle compression ring. The top one has no marks anywhere. It looks like there may be a slight angle to the top ring. Ill check it with the micrometer before I assemble it.
I stole this from Mr. Snowbum. You should learn to navigate his pages. There is a lot of info on his site and he still updates it regularly. The only problem if there is one is that some people complain about too much info on Snowbum's site.

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/pistons.htm

"TOP RING, also called the compression ring, the ring closest to the top of the piston: Use a magnifying glass, the inner portion of the ring has a tapered edge that faces the head (or top of the piston), that is, outwards.

The 2nd ring (ring in middle) has a notched outer edge. The notch faces the engine case. On the 1981+ style 2nd ring, that ring is marked for the top, the bevel does face the crankcase."

There was another post several pages ago where you mention a gasket on the oil pump cover. I've never seen a gasket on the oil pump cover, only an O-ring. I hope that's what you meant but the addition of Copper Sealer doesn't make much sense then.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote