ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 06:21 AM   #1
liviob OP
Studly Adventurer
 
liviob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, Co.
Oddometer: 676
Fuel tank equalization R1150GS

I will soon be riding my bike after having it apart since late Sept. I have noticed that the fuel tank can probably run out of fuel on the pump side and still have a gallon or two on the other side trapped there because of the shape of the tank. I am curious to know if this is a problem and if so what has been done to allow both sides of the fuel tank to drain equally short of welding hose connections on both sides of the tank.
__________________
Current road bike 2001 BMW R1150GS

liviob screwed with this post 01-22-2014 at 06:54 AM Reason: Edit title
liviob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 3,053
Doing wheelies and right hand peg scrapers seems to keep my 1150GS gas levels equalized.

tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
def
I've little to say
 
def's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: The woods and mountains of Alabama
Oddometer: 8,321
Years ago, I asked the same question of the late Rob Lentini. His reply was, "It is not a problem. You tank will drain almost completely by riding normally".

I trusted Rob then and learned that he was correct. Thanks Rob, RIP.
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
liviob OP
Studly Adventurer
 
liviob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, Co.
Oddometer: 676
Good to know it's not a problem. I'm getting close to being done servicing and fixing stuff on this bike. I want to ride the beast!
__________________
Current road bike 2001 BMW R1150GS
liviob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer
 
mefly2's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Big Sky Country
Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Doing wheelies and right hand peg scrapers seems to keep my 1150GS gas levels equalized.

lmao
__________________
----------------> jer-
30+ years with RTs...then to F/GS; now *Finally*
the BMW: R1200GSW, factory low seat & lower crash bars;
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Hampton, VA
Oddometer: 526
If you do run out, lay the bike over on the pump side and you'll get another 10 miles or so.
__________________
2012 R1200GS Rallye
ChildlikeWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #7
liviob OP
Studly Adventurer
 
liviob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, Co.
Oddometer: 676
So not only was tBarstow making a big funny he was right!
__________________
Current road bike 2001 BMW R1150GS
liviob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #8
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by liviob View Post
So not only was tBarstow making a big funny he was right!
There's a first time for everything.



He is correct though.
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #9
Steptoe
steptoe
 
Steptoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: london, England
Oddometer: 2,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by liviob View Post
I will soon be riding my bike after having it apart since late Sept. I have noticed that the fuel tank can probably run out of fuel on the pump side and still have a gallon or two on the other side trapped there because of the shape of the tank. I am curious to know if this is a problem and if so what has been done to allow both sides of the fuel tank to drain equally short of welding hose connections on both sides of the tank.
It's approx 2 litres, not gallons. And a handy emergency supply.

As already stated, if you run out of fuel lay the bike down completely on the R/H side and you'll have another 10 miles fuel to get you further down the road.

And funnily enough the same applies the larger ADV tank, even though it has a fuel balance pipe connecting the two halves.
__________________
www.gsshop.co.uk
Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 3,053
The only time I've had an issue with getting fuel to the other side of the non-adv tank is on long straight stretches of a few hundred miles.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #11
GS Addict
Pepperfool
 
GS Addict's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Sunshine Coast B.C.
Oddometer: 3,347
1100/1150 balancing fuel lobes

Google Siphon Sucker.

Or you can make your own.
I have had one for years, works great, increases the range.
__________________
Old enough to know better....
Young enough to try it again
GS Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:26 AM   #12
liviob OP
Studly Adventurer
 
liviob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, Co.
Oddometer: 676
Thanks GS Addict. Came up with a good list of threads with that search.
__________________
Current road bike 2001 BMW R1150GS
liviob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #13
marc_andrew
HoTdoG
 
marc_andrew's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 80
beating a dead horse?

Sorry to revive an old thread and a much talked about topic, but I ran my GS out of gas this past weekend in the middle of Wyoming with 249.5 miles on the trip odometer (it was a strong-head-wind morning.) My rig was fully loaded, so I really didnt want to lean her over to transfer fuel from the left to right side. Plus the gas station was only 0.6 miles down the road, so I just manned-up and pushed her there. But, the whole time I envisioned this in my head:

Harbor freight has them for like $6: http://t.harborfreight.com/http-www-...3290-html.html
Anyone ever use one? Did I miss it in previous threads?
__________________
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"
'07 Yamaha WR250F
'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'02 BMW R1150GS
marc_andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:09 AM   #14
liviob OP
Studly Adventurer
 
liviob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, Co.
Oddometer: 676
Good idea, but it seems kinda freaky to have to siphon fuel from one side of the fuel tank to the other side just to keep a $20,000 motorcycle going? For $20,000 asking price shouldn't it already have a siphon pump built into the tank?
__________________
Current road bike 2001 BMW R1150GS
liviob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:40 AM   #15
Tbone
off-ramp slayer
 
Tbone's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 4,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc_andrew View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread and a much talked about topic, but I ran my GS out of gas this past weekend in the middle of Wyoming with 249.5 miles on the trip odometer (it was a strong-head-wind morning.) My rig was fully loaded, so I really didnt want to lean her over to transfer fuel from the left to right side. Plus the gas station was only 0.6 miles down the road, so I just manned-up and pushed her there. But, the whole time I envisioned this in my head:

Harbor freight has them for like $6: http://t.harborfreight.com/http-www-...3290-html.html
Anyone ever use one? Did I miss it in previous threads?
I'd would have unpacked it and tipped it over, but that's just me.
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014