User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #1
asnowmobiler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Panniers for 2015 GSA

I still haven't decided what panniers I'm going to buy, I would like to get the Globescouts, but the company that sells them doesn't even bother getting back to me, even after I said I would pay the extra charges ($350) for a rush shipment.
I would like to stay with the factory racks, but the choices are slim at best, if I do switch racks, is there a market for the factory ones?
I know the Globes and the BMW ones fit, are there any other ones that will mount right up to the factory racks?
asnowmobiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 51,735
The aftermarket racks for the standard GSw, so no problem selling them. I have sold a set very quickly.

There are lots of choices once you get away from the factory racks. I like Jesses.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
myblunt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by asnowmobiler View Post
I still haven't decided what panniers I'm going to buy, I would like to get the Globescouts, but the company that sells them doesn't even bother getting back to me, even after I said I would pay the extra charges ($350) for a rush shipment.
I would like to stay with the factory racks, but the choices are slim at best, if I do switch racks, is there a market for the factory ones?
I know the Globes and the BMW ones fit, are there any other ones that will mount right up to the factory racks?
Globes are the only ones that i know of which mount to the factory racks.

the factory boxes (bmw) are a really nice solution. one key for the entire bike. Was there something in particular which turned you off of them in the first place other than the cost?
myblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:20 AM   #4
asnowmobiler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The factory one are my cheapest option, I can get them for $950 with the locks but from what I've read, they are also the cheapest made boxes.

Jim: I just can't get over the looks of the Jesses
Old 01-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #5
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
The factory one are my cheapest option, I can get them for $950 with the locks but from what I've read, they are also the cheapest made boxes.

Jim: I just can't get over the looks of the Jesses
As already noted the BMW Motorrad aluminium panniers have the benefit of one key for your bike and panniers, if that is important to you. I do not agree with your statement that they are cheaply made. The mounting system is easy to use and it will take a lot to rip them off the bike. I have seen quite a lot of these panniers that has taken a lot of beating and they all stayed on the bike. They will bend if you crash them hard. Often it is possible to bend them back to a useable shape again. By the way they are manufactured by Touratech for BMW Motorrad.

Max :-)
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #6
asnowmobiler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I can't really say how they compare, I was just going by some of the comments I've read on this site.
The Globes would be nice, but I need to find out how long it will take to get them, before I fork over the cash.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
GrumpyOne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
I can't really say how they compare, I was just going by some of the comments I've read on this site.
The Globes would be nice, but I need to find out how long it will take to get them, before I fork over the cash.
FWIW - If all else fails, you could PM Paul Rudolf from AdvDepot here on ADVrider.
He's been pretty quick to respond to questions in this thread as well: New for 2013 - Globescout World Class Panniers - Now Available in North America

I put Globescouts on my 2011 GS and to me it was worth the wait.

-jw

IBA #59099
GrumpyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:41 PM   #8
Augdog1964
BMW R1200gsa

Oddometer: 25
BMW Panniers

Love my set of factory panniers... they look tough, go on easy, one key, and come off fast too... Frankly I like the stock look too.

IMHO
Augdog1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
asnowmobiler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOne View Post
FWIW - If all else fails, you could PM Paul Rudolf from AdvDepot here on ADVrider.
He's been pretty quick to respond to questions in this thread as well: New for 2013 - Globescout World Class Panniers - Now Available in North America

-jw

That's the guy that does not return emails, he must be very busy,or Globescout didn't get back to him yet. Last message was "I'll get back to you ASAP" That was last Wednesday. I even sent a reminder on Monday asking for an update.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:17 PM   #10
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOne View Post

-jw

I have the OEM (TT) cases. The Globescouts look similar in design and construction. Are they more robustly built?
Old 01-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #11
myblunt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
as far as I can tell, they're pretty good. Made by Touratech, they don't leak, one key for the entire bike. The globescouts look very much the same. both use aluminum rivet construction with some silicon sealer. both use the same rack. I honestly don't think you could go wrong either way. The only other way to go is with soft luggage.

fyi, the kickstand works better, but the cases work just fine...

Didn't do much but made it fit slightly loose ie: I could wiggle up/down. The strap was more for peace of mind. The shop has since fixed that. One of the tabs just needed a slight bend in the other direction. I tell you what, she builds up some inertia when she goes over.

myblunt screwed with this post 01-20-2015 at 04:03 PM
myblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #12
asnowmobiler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll wait another day or two, then I'll just get the BMW ones if I don't hear back from him.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:45 PM   #13
asnowmobiler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks like I'm getting the Globes, I just saw he sent me an email an hour ago, they should be air freighted next week from Turkey.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:59 PM   #14
RickatSF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Looks like I'm getting the Globes, I just saw he sent me an email an hour ago, they should be air freighted next week from Turkey.
Photo or two when you have them installed please. I'm thinking of getting them too, before the Rally in July. Thank you.
RickatSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:00 PM   #15
bobbybob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
I see where the Globescouts for the WC bikes are not the "special BMW cutaway" style as in the 2012 & earlier, so you have to get different sizes for a "balanced look". Looks like around $1300 + shipping, getting close to Touratech's.