Hey, I go first class all the way!
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #47
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
I thought it most appropriate that my faithful 2007 R1200GS Adventure just rolled over the 100,000 mile mark while carrying the lovely Missus jdub and I on a great 5,124 mile trip through the western U.S. The event happened on beautiful U.S. Rt. 89 just past Bear Lake, shortly after crossing into Wyoming from Idaho. I'm getting used now to seeing six digits on the odometer! A few appropriate pics marking the occasion are provided below.

Before:

After:

This bike continues to prove itself as the best, most versatile motorcycle I've ever owned, and I'm already looking ahead to at least the 200,000 mile mark with it. While various issues on GSs/GSAs have been well documented on this forum, this bike has had zero issues with the final drive, driveshaft u-joints, ABS, etc. It just continues to take all of the road miles and the off-road usage (including drops) as well and as reliably as could be expected of any bike.

For anyone interested, here's some historical background:

- I purchased it used from Carolina BMW in August 2008 with 15,717 miles. The key/antenna ring thingie had already been replaced under warranty at 8k miles.
- All engine oil changes performed every 6,000 miles per OEM recommendation. Used Castrol GTX 20w-50 until 30k miles, then Mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic ever since. Has always used about half a quart between changes; less consumption during long trips/less starts, and more consumption with shorter trips/more starts.
- Gearbox and final drive oil changed every 12,000 miles per OEM recommendation, using Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic.
- Bob's BMW replaced leaking gearbox output seal and clutch slave cylinder under warranty at 35k miles.
- NGK DCPR8EIX Iridium spark plugs used for the last 60k miles, on second set now after 48k miles on the first set.
- Battery changed once, at 53k miles.
- Elka custom-built shocks installed at 50k miles; serviced/rebuilt at 90k miles with no wear or damage found.
- Bob's BMW performed three recalls at 59k miles: front brake hose, fuel pump controller seal, and fuel tank mounting hardware.
- I pulled the gearbox at 68k miles for clutch spline lube, details can be found on the link provided at the end of this post (no issues found, and the original clutch is still installed). I'll pull the gearbox again this winter for another lube and check of the clutch thickness, likely at about 120k miles.
- Rear brake disc replaced at 75k miles, too thin to pass annual PA state safety inspection.

Tire history:
1. Replaced Anakees with Tourances at 16,606 miles.
2. Installed Anakee 2s at 28,591 (11,985 miles on Tourances)
3. Installed Shinko 705 bias ply at 39,918 (11,327 on A2s)
4. Installed TKC-80s at 44,340 (4,422 on Shinkos, had the infamous tread block separation)
5. Installed TKC-80s at 51,270 (6,930 on 1st pair of TKCs)
6. Installed Tourances at 56,514 (5,244 on 2nd pair of TKCs)
7. Installed Tourances at 67,783 (11,269)
8. Installed Heidenau K60s at 71,805 (4,022 on Tourances, kept for later remounting)
9. Reinstalled Tourances at 83,893 (12,088 on K60s, both still had thousands of miles left)
10. Installed Kenda Big Blocks at 89,193 (9,322 total on Tourances)
11. Installed TKC-80s at 92,008 (2,815 on BBs)
12. Installed Tourances at 97,073 (5,065 on TKCs with tread remaining)

Except with the BMW dealer warranty/recall work as noted above, I perform all of my own maintenance including tire changes and balances. Maintenance is per the BMW schedule, except for the last 60k or so miles I've only checked valve clearances every 12k miles instead of the 6k miles called for. The most I ever find is two or three valves off by .0005" (one-half thousandth), and I'll adjust those when I find them. I haven't even bothered checking throttle body synchronization in probably 36k miles because the bike remains perfectly smooth and I'll only mess that up if I fiddle with the TB sync.

I'll add two more pics below for your viewing pleasure, the first I took while descending Beartooth Pass (U.S. Rt. 212) in Montana because the routing on the GPS screen was pretty unique with the switchbacks. The second is an end of trip shot, again with the lovely Missus jdub and some gray/bald guy who spends a lot of time riding and loving this GSA!

I hope all of your rides go well, my fellow inmates!
That's awesome dude. Keep inspiring us! I agree with you and your opinion that the GS is the best bike owned; my experience is the same.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #48
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 383
Nice to see a good news post...not that I mind the real complaints but this is nice to see and I believe it to be the norm and not the exception.

BRAVO...
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #49
jdub OP
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,646
If anyone is interested, a maintenance update of miscellaneous items performed during some winter downtime with 115k miles on the bike.

1. Pulled the starter to check clutch friction disc thickness (original disc), and using vernier calipers which fit perfectly into the starter port the disc measured 4.8mm. With new disc thickness being 6mm, the friction material has worn approximately .1mm per 10,000 miles so I should still have another year of riding before meeting minimum thickness. Unless I encounter any clutch slippage requiring me to go in and replace the clutch assembly early, it looks like I already have next winter's project lined up.

2. I pulled the driveshaft to check both u-joints (original) for smoothness as I've done a few times before, and for the first time I found stiffness in one rotational arc on the rear joint. After reading lots of info here on GSpot about options I called and spoke to both Mitch at Machine Service Inc. in Green Bay, WI, and with Bruno Sax at Bruno's Repair & Machine in Ontario. While MSI was less expensive ($260) and quicker (1 week in-house turn time), Mitch said their u-joint with zerk fittings (tack welded into the driveshaft adapters) required greasing every 6k miles. I went with Bruno ($390 and two weeks in-house turn time plus longer in transit) because his recommended greasing intervals will line up nicely with my 12k mile final drive oil changes and with therefore require less repetitive downtime and work. Bruno machines a grooves into each driveshaft adapter which locates and secures each u-joint cap with a snap ring. He told me as long as I grease the u-joints every 12k to 15k miles the driveshaft and u-joints will last the life of the bike. He also said he's never had a report of failure on any of the u-joint replacements he's done (probably dependent on keeping them greased). Sorry I didn't take any pictures before installation.

I thought briefly about just buying a new OEM driveshaft ($767, best on-line price I found) but since the u-joints are sealed for life with questionable service life there was no logic in that.

3. I'd been reading the posts here about some bikes having issues with the plastic fuel quick disconnects on R12GS/GSAs, so I bought the metal QD replacement kit from Beemer Boneyard and installed that as preventive maintenance.

4. No issues with them at all, but with my bike's miles I also installed new throttle cables as preventive maintenance. All three of the removed cables still move smooth as can be and I can see no wear or damage on them. They were never lubed by me due to the housing's inner coating and BMW doesn't recommend lube for that reason.

5. I measured the thickness of both front brake discs (original) and found them just below their service limit, so I bought a new pair from Beemer Boneyard to match the rear I replaced some time ago.

All ready for another riding season now!
Old 03-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #50
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
Thanks for the update! I've enjoyed reading the record.
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #51
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,402
Quote:
I
Based on that pic, you're overchicked by about a factor of ten.

I'm glad to hear about the bike. Bruno must be making a killing on these things.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #52
jdub OP
Dawg bytes reel gud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Based on that pic, you're overchicked by about a factor of ten.

I'm glad to hear about the bike. Bruno must be making a killing on these things.
I'm not arguing Jim, and I owe her big time for getting me out of the barracks by marrying me back when I was in the Marine Corps.

Reading about your past u-joint experiences was another factor in my decision to go with Bruno.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #53
Tigrou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
hi Jdub,

thanks for your Feedback on this awesome bike
Mine, a GSA from 2006, just turn 80.000 miles and is still running perfectly.
I bought this bike in November 2009 with 30.000 miles on it and it's hard to say (especially when i see brand new other bikes on roads, or in dealers) but you could do everything and no need to change: comuting to work or traveling with wife on and off road is not a problem.

I've already have a 6 digit oddometer in front of me ( 100.000 kms is about 60.000 miles for you) but no need to change. first time a bike done that to me.

tomorrow we leave for a 6 day ride from Paris to south of France using little gravel roads and i would like to leave now.

I use to say that my GS is my "abeille flandre" ( name of a boat created to realize hard duty in huge storms) because of his capability.
GS'13 - 7.000 miles …for the moment
Tigrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:54 AM   #54
The Other JC
4 year lurker..

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
You make a beautiful threesome couple

The Other JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #55
a.c.s.
Complaining less

Oddometer: 229
Awesome to see a 100k mile GSA. 23k on the clock of my '11 and I hope to be making a post similar to this in about two years.

Your wife is a trooper. My wife also doesn't like being in the saddle for much more that 200 miles, even with the Airhawk. I don't think it's quite as comfy being a passenger. Unfortunately I couldn't get my wife to wear a Darien - she said we'd be too "matchy-matchy..."

-acs

Semper Fidelis
a.c.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #56
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,025
Quote:

Tire history:
1. Replaced Anakees with Tourances at 16,606 miles.
2. Installed Anakee 2s at 28,591 (11,985 miles on Tourances)
3. Installed Shinko 705 bias ply at 39,918 (11,327 on A2s)
4. Installed TKC-80s at 44,340 (4,422 on Shinkos, had the infamous tread block separation)
5. Installed TKC-80s at 51,270 (6,930 on 1st pair of TKCs)
6. Installed Tourances at 56,514 (5,244 on 2nd pair of TKCs)
7. Installed Tourances at 67,783 (11,269)
8. Installed Heidenau K60s at 71,805 (4,022 on Tourances, kept for later remounting)
9. Reinstalled Tourances at 83,893 (12,088 on K60s, both still had thousands of miles left)
10. Installed Kenda Big Blocks at 89,193 (9,322 total on Tourances)
11. Installed TKC-80s at 92,008 (2,815 on BBs)
12. Installed Tourances at 97,073 (5,065 on TKCs with tread remaining)
I have no earthly idea how you're getting those kind of tire mileages. I'm lucky to do half that. I run close to the factory recommended inflations and do primarily 2-up riding.

Do you and the missus weigh about 60 lbs each?
Old 08-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #57
jdub OP
Dawg bytes reel gud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post
I have no earthly idea how you're getting those kind of tire mileages. I'm lucky to do half that. I run close to the factory recommended inflations and do primarily 2-up riding.

The majority of my riding is solo, and believe me that I'm much closer to three times that weight by myself. Most of my riding friends can't believe my tire mileage either, and I can only answer by saying I've been accused by many I ride with of being very smooth. While I ride a spirited pace in the twisties, I've not yet seen the need for traction control as I sure don't whack the throttle WFO coming out of corners.

Normal pressures: 38F/40R solo, 40F/42R two-up on Tourances, Anakees, and my new 80/20 favorite - Conti Trail Attacks. TKC-80 pressure is maintained at 34F/36R.

How ever I get the mileage I do (consistent with about every bike I've ever owned), I'm sure not complaining!

BTW, over 127k miles on the bike now and counting......
Old 08-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #58
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 544
Great thread and congratulations on 100k.

I just turned 36K on my 2008 & have absolutely loved every mile ridden on my GS.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #59
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post

Road surface, riding style, temps, etc. A lot depends on the variables.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #60
Effervescent
Sexiest ADVrider '13

Oddometer: 1,797
Great stuff!