ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #16
CO-Dan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Really happy the winds died down on Tuesday when they did. The fire didn't have to go much further to take my house that I moved into on Saturday!

Glad that we haven't seen anyone on here who lost a house!!!
CO-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #17
duct tape
Lost

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Hobo View Post
Nature doing what nature does......
This is offensive. Maybe you didn't mean it that way but try telling my partner and two employees that their houses burned as an act of nature. Or the 344 other homeowners. The fire started on a day completely w/o lightning, either accidentally or intentionally by a human. If it was indeed arson, at least one person has died so it's now a homicide case.

What followed was the most extreme act of nature I've ever had the misfortune to witness, from 1/2 mile away.

Trails Preservation Alliance www.coloradotpa.org
Colorado OHV Coalition www.cohvco.org
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #18
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
This is offensive. Maybe you didn't mean it that way but try telling my partner and two employees that their houses burned as an act of nature. Or the 344 other homeowners. The fire started on a day completely w/o lightning, either accidentally or intentionally by a human. If it was indeed arson, at least one person has died so it's now a homicide case.

What followed was the most extreme act of nature I've ever had the misfortune to witness, from 1/2 mile away.
Plus I heard on the news last night that there were 10 people missing....one of which is from the same house where they found the deceased. Some or all may be ok, but as of this AM, they hadn't checked in, which gives me pause for concern.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #19
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post

Remember man....he posted that on Sunday...the day after it started and before we knew all that we know now. Hopefully it was an innocent comment and not meant to be offensive. If it was meant in a callous manner, well, all I can say is karma is a bitch.

Feeling very sorry for those who have lost so much. Hard to fathom. Will donate to the Red Cross to hopefully help out. Hang in there all!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #20
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 16,794
I used to sleep days with the windows drawn and fan on (worked nights). A fair number of folks said they fled only because they saw flames not because they saw or heard a fire engine. I shudder to think someone literally was surprised in the middle of the day by the inferno that surrounded that. How horrible.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #21
duct tape
Lost

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
I used to sleep days with the windows drawn and fan on (worked nights). A fair number of folks said they fled only because they saw flames not because they saw or heard a fire engine. I shudder to think someone literally was surprised in the middle of the day by the inferno that surrounded that. How horrible.
It's possible that's what happened to the two poor folks on Rossmere at the top of Mtn Shadows, now with two confirmed dead. Godspeed.

Trails Preservation Alliance www.coloradotpa.org
Colorado OHV Coalition www.cohvco.org
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:38 AM   #22
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,560
I have been listening to the news about the fires with more and more interest as we are planning a trip there July 7th through the whole following week.

I am really sorry for the folks out there who have lost everything. I'm amazed when they show video footage of how fast the fire spreads. There often seems to be little to no time to collect belongings and escape with what you can, if at all.

I am growing concerned by our trip as we were meant to meet on CO Springs and ditch my truck somewhere for the week as we intend to camp in a different spot each night. We are roughly headed down towards Salida, Telluride, Ouray, etc. and back north to I70-ish territory back to CO Springs. Should I have any concerns about the fires? The media (at least out east) is really hyping this story up. I know its bad and all, but should we delay our trip or just avoid certain areas? Is leaving my truck in CO Springs the worst idea ever? Thanks for the advice, I know many of you have bigger problems to worry about than this. Good luck out there, I hope you get some rain soon.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:58 AM   #23
no2tracks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
You'll just have to avoid a small area and take a detour, otherwise you're good to go. The media makes it sound like there's HUGE swaths of the state burning. Well, High Park fire is...and other areas are primed and ready to explode, but they're up north and you're headed sw.
no2tracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:15 AM   #24
MrBob
Feelin Groovy

Oddometer: 6,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor View Post
I have been listening to the news about the fires with more and more interest as we are planning a trip there July 7th through the whole following week.

I am growing concerned by our trip as we were meant to meet on CO Springs and ditch my truck somewhere for the week as we intend to camp in a different spot each night. We are roughly headed down towards Salida, Telluride, Ouray, etc. and back north to I70-ish territory back to CO Springs. Should I have any concerns about the fires? The media (at least out east) is really hyping this story up.
You should have a great time. It's been blistering hot, as I'm sure you're aware of, but the high country around Telluride and Ouray should be much cooler. It's easy to avoid the fire areas. Bring rain.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #25
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Thanks guys. Good luck to you. I wish I could bring rain but we've had precious little of it ourselves. 105F today. I work in lawn fertilization and weed control. We wear long sleeves, pants, gloves, and boots by law. It has definitely been taking its toll.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #26
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor View Post
Thanks guys. Good luck to you. I wish I could bring rain but we've had precious little of it ourselves. 105F today. I work in lawn fertilization and weed control. We wear long sleeves, pants, gloves, and boots by law. It has definitely been taking its toll.
Head on up to Ouray and Silverton and you will feel much cooler (and look much cooler). The state needs your dollars and you need the beauty. Bring it on.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #27
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
Head on up to Ouray and Silverton and you will feel much cooler (and look much cooler). The state needs your dollars and you need the beauty. Bring it on.
Those places are on the list. Cannot wait. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #28
KevinColorado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
From the City of Woodland Park Web site:

AS OF 4PM, JUNE 30, MANDATORY EVACUATION FOR TELLER COUNTY & CITY OF WOODLAND PARK HAS BEEN LIFTED. THE ENTIRE CITY OF WOODLAND PARK NOW ON STANDBY EVACUATION STATUS.

Read it's 30% containment... heard as much as 45%

Now all we gotta do is catch that #@$% who started this thing and let the system put him away with Bubba for 30 years!
KevinColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #29
SRA
Why is the rum gone?

Oddometer: 1,134
I24 west out of the Springs is still closed. Unless the winds change hard out of the west it looks like the Springs is out of trouble. I rode over to the area where the homes burned this afternoon. There is no fire anywhere near any houses. Just saw a couple small patches high on the mountain side that were getting helicopter attention. The rest of the fire is inside the front range.

The meek shall inherit the dirt.

Originally Posted by Klay
Climate science is not biased by political matters in any way.
SRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:42 AM   #30
jeffygs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
trip to colorado

I also have a scheduled trip to Colorado departing on 5 July.My basic route is Pueblo, cannon city, Buena Vista, Cottonwood pass, Gunnison, and lake city. Riding, camping, and fishing. I plan on taking well traveled dirt roads and 2 lanes. I also had planned on the PP race (I know its cancelled) . Should I be rescheduling? I figure CO could use the small revenue that I bring, but I do not want to get in the way. My ride is an 1983 hacked goldwing.
jeffygs is offline   Reply With Quote