ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #46
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
The rumor I heard today is that they have a very good idea of who it was and they know exactly where he is. Not saying anything else because it's still an active investigation.

If so cool

Maybe it be a hiker then we can call for a ban on hiking...LOL
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #47
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
Denver post says started off of a hiker trail. I am so happy it was not started off an evil OHV trail.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #48
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,584
Quote:
The rumor I heard today is that they have a very good idea of who it was and they know exactly where he is. Not saying anything else because it's still an active investigation.

Simply cannot tell you how happy that would make me if true. I won't consider this fire "out," or even 100% contained, until the responsible party is caught. Waldo Canyon was one of my favorite hiking spots in the state.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #49
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
Simply cannot tell you how happy that would make me if true. I won't consider this fire "out," or even 100% contained, until the responsible party is caught. Waldo Canyon was one of my favorite hiking spots in the state.
It was hands down my favorite trail anywhere for hiking and biking. I thought about riding it around Memorial day but didn't. Wish I had. As sad as the whole deal is, I'm looking forward to helping restore the trail and riding it again someday. I actually kind of like riding the burn area in Buffalo Creek. It's nice to see the re-growth over time.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #50
enigmatic_redhabu
I really wanna be....

Oddometer: 2,789
+1. I've hiked/trail run at Waldo Canyon for more than 15 years, before moved to the city.

Quote:
It was hands down my favorite trail anywhere for hiking and biking. I thought about riding it around Memorial day but didn't. Wish I had. As sad as the whole deal is, I'm looking forward to helping restore the trail and riding it again someday. I actually kind of like riding the burn area in Buffalo Creek. It's nice to see the re-growth over time.
Jinny
enigmatic_redhabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #51
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,557
Quote:
+1 we have some trails which burnt from the missionary ridge fire that have some awesome undergrowth and new pine. It will never look like it did in our lifetimes, but I can guarendamntee you that a trail lives on after it burns with a whole new and equally good personality.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #52
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Well we all know where, as there is early video of where the fire started...sounds like it was on purpose...and yes even tossing a cig in such dry conditions equals "on purpose". No defense on being stupid.
I took this picture on Saturday sometime between 12 and 12:30 when I was coming down off of Pikes Peak. If you look closely you can actually see two columns of smoke...pretty much showing that it was arson and that the person started it in two places a little ways from each other...

Had no idea at the time it would end up like this...

I took this today 1/2 mile from my house. The whole neighborhood was gone. So sad. Brought tears to my eyes.
bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #53
modette
RMAR

Never hiked it, thought about it but that parking lot was always a nutty place so I passed it up, guess I should of hiked it from what some of you have said.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #54
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
I took this picture on Saturday sometime between 12 and 12:30 when I was coming down off of Pikes Peak. If you look closely you can actually see two columns of smoke...pretty much showing that it was arson and that the person started it in two places a little ways from each other...
I suggest you try to get that picture to the authorities that are investigating the cause - it may help them.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #55
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
I did already. They seemed pretty happy to get that high vantage point. They didn't say anything obviously to me about the double smoke columns and arson. That's just my two cents opinion.
bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #56
enigmatic_redhabu
I really wanna be....

Oddometer: 2,789
There's always like a zoo on the weekend, just like Rampart.

Quote:
Never hiked it, thought about it but that parking lot was always a nutty place so I passed it up, guess I should of hiked it from what some of you have said.
Jinny
enigmatic_redhabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #57
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepikespeak.com View Post
I did already.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #58
Coloradical
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,073
I saw this report on 9News this morning.

http://www.9news.com/news/article/27...do-Canyon-Fire

Quote:
KUSA - One day before the reported start date of the Waldo Canyon Fire, El Paso County 911 received several calls about smoke coming from an area not too far above the Cave of the Winds.
Dr. David Scola was one of those callers.
"I just noticed a plume of smoke, and I noticed it wasn't going away either," Dr. Scola said during a telephone interview with 9NEWS on Friday. At least two other people called 911 to report the same thing.
Law enforcement and fire department dispatch tapes reviewed by 9NEWS confirm the presence of smoke in the Waldo Canyon area on Friday, June 22. "I can see the smoke myself," someone said on the radio shortly after 7:45 p.m. that Friday.
"There is haze in the whole valley. Unable to discern any single plume," another said. "At times the wind is blowing, and it's laying down on the ground. Can't see it at all," another caller told 911 dispatch.
Fire crews from Manitou Springs, Green Mountain Falls, and Chipeta Park were unable to get to the fire that night, but when a fire in the same area started to run the following day, various people with the local agencies told dispatchers the proximity was noteworthy.
"Same location as yesterday," said an unknown person. "Except the smoke is black and I can see the flames from my house."
Home video shot by Lance Bean and his fianc้ during a day trip on Rampart Range Road suggest the fire really started to race right around noon on Saturday, June 23.
Dr. Scola wouldn't be surprised to hear that the smoke he saw Friday was the actual start of the Waldo Canyon Fire.
"If it wasn't the same fire, it was in the same location," he said. "Whether that one went out and another one started, I don't know."
The El Paso County Sheriff's Department couldn't say on Friday if the two fires were actually one fire. A spokesperson told 9NEWS the investigation is ongoing and being headed by the U.S. Forest Service.
Bean said he was recently interviewed by the FBI.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #59
SRA
Why is the rum gone?

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Yep, and I think they should take it slow. However the sad fact is unless someone saw something, or says something (aka to a "friend") likelihood of finding the person/s is slim. Unless this was the work of an arsonist and they are caught down the road and its all tied to them or again they admit to it.
My money is on the perp that was arrested pretending to be a firefighter. That boy ain't right...

Quote:
Kip Andy Peterson, 53, was arrested Wednesday in an area of the Rockrimmon neighborhood that had been evacuated. Police said in a news release that Petersen was wearing firefighting clothing and identified himself as a firefighter when contacted by emergency personnel.
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...aze-identified

The meek shall inherit the dirt.

Originally Posted by Klay
Climate science is not biased by political matters in any way.
SRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #60
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRA View Post
My money is on the perp that was arrested pretending to be a firefighter. That boy ain't right...

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...aze-identified

That or his plan was to rob homes.....

Or

He is just a nut that used the opportunity to act like he is a fire fighter or thought it was helping in some way.