Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
Toothster OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Team Mong Dakar

Hey Gang,

I am new on here! I have signed up specifically to learn as much as I damn well can and to share the experiences of myself and my team as we plan for, train for and hopefully complete the 2013 Intercontinental Rally from Almeria in Spain, to the infamous Dakar in Senegal. (www.intercontinentalrally.com)
Just a quick bit of Team history: In the main part, we met through skydiving. Some might say this means we have a common bond, that our self-preservation gene has been removed or that we have more money than sense. Personally, I think it means we all know how to live, we grab life by the throat and wring every last ounce of fun and adventure out of it. Gravity is a powerful adversary, if we can master that, we can master anything! We just need to hope we can master the desert!
There are many interpretations or our team name, I will do my best to sum them up by referring to The Urban Dictionary:

1. Derogatory verb commonly used to describe the state of one's lack of common sense.

2. A Mong is 6 foot odd of genuine idiot. He will ride a motorbike and drink beer. Usually named Dale, he is quick to temper yet normally wont do anything about it as he does not want to stand up because he has soiled himself.

3. Originally used in veiled reference to the Coolest Guy on Earth; just as in Jewish scriptures, it is forbidden to reveal the true name of such an omnipotent deity. Common usage is now to denote an individual whom one believes to be a thin shadow of the true Mong, a small fragment of the greatest being in existence. It is an extreme honor and privilege to be awarded this title; only the best and bravest in any given culture will ever recieve it.

Anyhow, you get the idea.

Have we bitten off more than we can chew? Only time will tell.

Follow us as the adventure unfolds and you will surely find out.

More soon.
Toothster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
Toothster OP
Adventurer

7 months and 3 days.

As you may have guessed, this thread is going to be a humorous, possibly slightly alternative take on one of the toughest races in the world. It would be great if it was also an intelligent, ground-breaking resource of off-road information. A bit like wikipedia if you like. Maybe I should have called it Dakarpedia
Anyhow with 7 months and 3 days until the start, it may be useful to make a list of stuff to arrange.

Bike purchase
Bike prep.
Spares
Support crew
Race entry
Beer
Visas
Training
Accommodation
Medical kit
Transport to start
Transport from finish
Insurance
Medical cover
Repatriation cover
More training
Navigation equipment
Comms. equipment
Beer
Personal kit

That is just the stuff than has immediately sprung to mind after a too hard Monday at my day job.

Rally team now confirmed at 6 bikes.

I will come back to the list after some sleep or coffee or both. Feel free to add anything you think I have forgotten, or alternatively a list of reasons why you think we are mad will suffice.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,334
Just been pointed to this fine thread by one of your fellow Mongers and looking forward to following your adventures as they unravel

Of course it is at times like this when the experienced old forum hands feel the need to give you newbies a piece of good advice based upon our extensive riding experience and riding knowledge.

I have sat back and, after giveing it a lot of thought, my advice is
Don't follow Dale (unless it is into a bar )

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 908
Gotta love how you put 'beer' in your 'stuff to arrange' list

Interesting thread, subbed
Dekatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekatria View Post
Gotta love how you put 'beer' in your 'stuff to arrange' list

Interesting thread, subbed
The worrying bit is that 'beer' is in there twice..................

Old 06-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Toothster OP
Adventurer

Beer

Pebble35 - I have indeed already tried your advice about following Dale into a bar. Whilst the concept is stunningly brilliant, it does not account for the depth of Dale's pockets or the shortness of his arms. I may need to do further investigation on Saturday as I will be in Jersey to collect my rally bike. Very exciting, pictures will be posted shortly.

Dekatria and Pebble - Given Team Mong's undeniable talent for alcohol consumption, I suspect it will be a frequent theme on this thread.

Which gives me a thought. Auxiliary rally fuel tank does not necessarily have to be used for the storage of fuel.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothster View Post
Pebble35 - I have indeed already tried your advice about following Dale into a bar. Whilst the concept is stunningly brilliant, it does not account for the depth of Dale's pockets or the shortness of his arms. I may need to do further investigation on Saturday as I will be in Jersey to collect my rally bike. Very exciting, pictures will be posted shortly.

Dekatria and Pebble - Given Team Mong's undeniable talent for alcohol consumption, I suspect it will be a frequent theme on this thread.

Which gives me a thought. Auxiliary rally fuel tank does not necessarily have to be used for the storage of fuel.
Toothster, not sure if Dale has mentioned it but I am sure we will be meeting on Saturday when you pick the bike up ...................

But if you are looking at travelling with Dale I would recommend fitting the auxiliary fuel tank and using it only for fuel. That then leaves the left side main front tank available for beer and the right side for gin (and one of the panniers needs to carry the tonic and lemon slices )

Old 06-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
Toothster OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Toothster, not sure if Dale has mentioned it but I am sure we will be meeting on Saturday when you pick the bike up ...................

But if you are looking at travelling with Dale I would recommend fitting the auxiliary fuel tank and using it only for fuel. That then leaves the left side main front tank available for beer and the right side for gin (and one of the panniers needs to carry the tonic and lemon slices )
Hey Pebble, Once I had made the post last night I looked at your web link and realised the connection. I think with your excellent plans regarding fuel tanks, you should be on The Team.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #9
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey Pebble, Once I had made the post last night I looked at your web link and realised the connection. I think with your excellent plans regarding fuel tanks, you should be on The Team.
Interesting you say that - I took a look at the Intercontinental Rally website last night and the 'short' trip to Laayoune is tempting............need to talk to Dale (and then the wife )

Old 06-28-2012, 01:42 AM   #10
Toothster OP
Adventurer

Laayoune

Hi Pebbles,
I feel I can predict what Dale will say - - - Something like - - - "The short trip is for losers, those who have lost all their motocycling aspirations and have resigned themselves to a life of being hen-pecked and under the thumb. No man with a suitably proportioned set of cahoonas would stop at Laayoune and watch his mates ride off into the sunset towards Dakar. The correct thing to do is go home to Mrs Pebbles and inform her that you will be away for a couple of weeks in early 2013 on a trip with the boys. Job done!"
Old 06-28-2012, 03:11 AM   #11
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi Pebbles,
I feel I can predict what Dale will say - - - Something like - - - "The short trip is for losers, those who have lost all their motocycling aspirations and have resigned themselves to a life of being hen-pecked and under the thumb. No man with a suitably proportioned set of cahoonas would stop at Laayoune and watch his mates ride off into the sunset towards Dakar. The correct thing to do is go home to Mrs Pebbles and inform her that you will be away for a couple of weeks in early 2013 on a trip with the boys. Job done!"
Fair comment - but last timeI went to Layoune I carried on to Timbuktu......and then rode back (no poncy shipping bikes back for me !)

Old 06-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #12
adcibbotson
Ibbo

Oddometer: 4
Have to get a handle on how this works as I am popping my ADV posting cherry - up till now I have managed to live my life in the real world, doing real things, drinking real beer!! Never been on a forum before.

Tooth, we need to start building up some images this weekend as we pick up your steed. All you other Orange Crush riders out there, welcome Msr Tooth's entry to chest wig motorcycling.

It is an interesting project in that we have a couple of newbies to the whole adventure motorcycling scene so our build up has go to include some compressed training as well as bike prep. Have said that, in the spirit of Team Mong, they will cope. In addition, if you have to ride through countries where there is a security risk, it is always useful to have a couple of expendable Tail-end Charlies.

Tim Skilton from Loco for Motos is putting on a week of sand training in Merzouga for us, to include nav skills and bike prep. He will also be the support crew during the rally itself, so a good opportunity for everyone to get to know each other and for him to realise what he is really letting himself in for.

As for dithering due to domestics, that to me says a review of the command and control structure at home is long overdue!

D

adcibbotson screwed with this post 06-28-2012 at 08:45 AM
adcibbotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
adcibbotson
Ibbo

Oddometer: 4
Wheels

Building up a set of Talons with Excel rims with Michelin deserts - who has ridden mousses (how the hell do you spell that - sounds like plural for fugly birds?!) on 990's - do they get really hot given the weight of the bike? I see their equivalent pressures to tubes seems pretty low at 15 psi?

Also I can see the ABS sensor needs to be shimmed back on the front discs - however given that it will be disconnected for the duration of the trip this is hardly an issue.

adcibbotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #14
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

A couple of bits to cross off the list

Old 06-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #15
Toothster OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
A couple of bits to cross off the list

Pebbles,
Awesome! Trouble is, as stuff gets ticked of my list, more just seems to get added!
On a separate note, have you squared away the trip with your LHG yet?