User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #16
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,086
Lennie,

Thanks. That's a good clear explanation. Trying each advance position and testing the performance seems like a sound method.

On my R1150RT with Wideband O2 I'm getting about 60 lb.-ft. down to about 2000-2200 RPM in 4th and 5th gear. Would your sprockets get me 50-60 lb.-ft. down as low as 1500 RPM?

Roger
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #17
lennie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Roger,

If you have the prontout for the torque and hp, you will see that whaecer you are getting at around 2800 to 3000 rpm is close to what you will get that low.

Life is always good
lennie@boxer-performance.com
www.boxer-performance.com
lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:52 AM   #18
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennie View Post
def,

I never took it in any way negative. I am always a very positive person and sorry if I came across as negative.

The term 'seconds' does imply inferior and they are as good as the originals and I was just trying to clarify what the issue was.
As Dan says, you cannot notice the crack so easily and having redrilled the hole the pressure is gone and the fact it goes from the locating pin hole to the cam mounting hole means it will never propogate. The crack is covered by the thick washer on the early bikes and the crank breather paddle on the left side and cam position indicator on the later bikes.

I spoke to the manufacturer, a number of mechanics and a metalurgist about it before I decided to sell the sprockets and it is not a decision I took lightly. Now there are many happy customers taking advantage of the cheaper price of these. The savings in fuel pay for the sprockets in the short to medium term with ongoing savings dependant how hard you are with the throttle hand.

Enjoy.
Bravo for your full disclosure.

Ever consider running for political office?

def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #19
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Roger,

If you have the prontout for the torque and hp, you will see that whaecer you are getting at around 2800 to 3000 rpm is close to what you will get that low.
Thats amazing and would make a further improvement.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #20
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Been following this and other Lennie sprocket threads for some time now. I apologize because this is probably a dumb question, but I need some help with the Dyno graphs on Lennie's web site.

The blue is stock the red is after sprockets (and some other mods, but lets assume that those did not contribute significantly to the change). I don't see anything for under 2600 rpm for either line and the red/with sprockets line, seem to be approaching zero torque at around 2600 rpm so how can it increase the torque at lower rpms? I also can't figure out why the stock curve starts so high, should it not start near zero as well?

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:38 AM   #21
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

While dyno graphs may be useful for measuring power and torque at WOT (wide open throttle) they rarely seem to depict the conditions that we drive under. Here the bike is probably in (I'm guessing) 5th or 6th gear at low RPMs. Then the throttle is fully opened and the acceleration is measured for a certain load.

Here are some curves I made for myself using the GS-911 and the link to the write-up. By using 4th gear I was able to get a better look at low rpm torque. One of the reasons I asked my earlier question is that using the Wideband O2 sensor and richer mixture has already added to my low-end torque. I've got good punch from 2000 RPM on up. The dips in my curves are mostly due to sampling rate.

roger 04 rt screwed with this post 06-29-2012 at 04:01 AM
Old 06-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #22
Stinkyb
GS"eh" rider

Oddometer: 355
Just a heads up to any future lennie boys. Dont do the instal during winter.
Cuz I personally havent really felt a difference. After no riding for like 7 months worth of winter and then blammo, ride time.
I pulled off my first wheelie tho.....can i give cred to lennie, or did my balls just drop?
Old 07-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #23
lennie
Gnarly Adventurer

Def,

Not interested in politics although our Federal politicians just used the carbon tax to up their salaries by $50,000 per year each. I knew the new tax was a dodgy thing.

Farmerger,

I need to point out that the graph you have listed is of my personal bike with many mods to it other than advancing the cam timing 9 degrees. I need to fix my webpage to reflect this.

Yes there is no reading under 2,600 rpms as by the time you click the capture button and roll on this is where the recording starts.

All I can say is once you ride a bike with the sprockets fitted you will feel the difference with the amount of throttle opening you need to achieve the same accelleration as before.

Roger,

We always use 4th gear for dyno testing. My graphs changed a bit when I installed the 5.5 inch wheel to my R1100S as it robbed part of the power and torque with the extra weight.

Sticky,

You really need to ride back to back to feel the difference but once you start to use them then over time you will feel the change to the bike. Even for thise not dealing with winter the change is subtle and it takes a little getting used to and a bit of relearning with the way you ride the bike.

Life is always good
Old 07-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #24
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,209
Quote:
Def,

Not interested in politics although our Federal politicians just used the carbon tax to up their salaries by $50,000 per year each.
They're thieves.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #25
lennie
Gnarly Adventurer

I have 2 sets of seconds left.

Email me before you send money and I will confirm that I can send.

Life is always good
Old 07-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #26
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,523
Quote:
I have 2 sets of seconds left.

Email me before you send money and I will confirm that I can send.

My seconds arrived today,only one week from Lennie to my doorstep,including our holiday yesterday.Thanks Lennie!

Bike is partially torn down awaiting install,hopefully done by Saturday.
Will be heading out for 1.5 week trip starting next Wed,will report back
on my impressions,after I return.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:40 AM   #27
lennie
Gnarly Adventurer

1 set of seconds left. these are selling well.

JR,

Good to see you got them so quick. I quote 7 to 10 days and ship upon receipt of funds.

Take your time on the intall and double check as well as doing one side at a time.

Enjoy the trip.

Life is always good
Old 07-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #28
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,523
Quote:
1 set of seconds left. these are selling well.

JR,

Good to see you got them so quick. I quote 7 to 10 days and ship upon receipt of funds.

Take your time on the intall and double check as well as doing one side at a time.

Enjoy the trip.
Lennie,

Will do!
Fortunately have similar experience with this procedure.Have replaced chain tensioners and guide rails on Porsche flat 6 engine.
I am also allowing several days prior to leaving to go slow and check everything out and do test runs.

See you posted on another ADVRider thread that the seconds are now sold out,but still have a sale on the new ones,for anyone interested.

JR356

JR356 screwed with this post 07-06-2012 at 03:18 PM
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #29
lennie
Gnarly Adventurer

JR,

I sure do have n ew ons on sale too. Starting to sell those now.

Life is always good
Old 07-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #30
Dan Căta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrdrms View Post
Please report back on fuel mileage. (go easy with your new-found power!) I love the reviews and want these sprockets but I get 50mpg and don't want to lose that.

Andy
Did a 450 km tryp y'day. I had my girlfriend in the back. I guess the average speed was 70 km's / hour, going 110/120 kms/h on the open road and 70 km/h in cities. ~ 150 kms were just curves, doing 3rd and 4th gear. About 10 km's of 180 190 km/h race to the gas station, for my friend riders to re-fuel

Anyway, the fuel mileage was... 5.2 liters / km. I say that is pretty impressive, for 2 up riding. I used to get that mileage during riding solo!

So, for me, the fuel mileage improved!

Dan.
Dan Căta is offline   Reply With Quote