Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #46
Paul Mihalka
Old Fart

Oddometer: 877
Lennie, I am reading for a while information on the sprockets you make that change the valve timing. I have a '05 R1200GS with 170K miles. As a retirement job I work with BMW dealers for over 20 years, so I'm in touch with a lot of BMW riders. My impression is that the power curve change the sprockets make is a good thing and many, me included, would like it if it came stock from the factory. Your problem is that the stock bike is already so darn good that few people feel the need to go to the expense and work to go one step farther. I do hope your business prospers.
Paul Mihalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #47
Karlxx
Dirt Curious

Oddometer: 159
No worries Lennie,

BTW, I am a mechanical engineer working in defence, I very well know the cost of low volume fully machined items and finishing small batches. There is a fine balance between getting a lot made and selling them cheap compared to low volume and selling at a higher price. As you no doubt know, it would be a much greater investment up front with thinner profits and still no guarentees of steady sales (or someone undercutting you).

I have a Honda Blackbird and APE - Adjustable Cam Sprockets Honda - CBR 1100XX Blackbird 1997-2003/CNC Machined/Billet/Heat Treated are 59.95 USD. I know its a different story but thats what you are up against, your price is hard to justify as value for money when you compete with bigger companies.

K

IBA 41759
Karlxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #48
lennie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Paul,

Thank you for the feedback.

What I do know is that most BMW owners feel the bikes are fine the way they are and ride them stock.

There are others that will modify their bikes for exhausts etc and look at what the sprockets do and install with good results and are happy.

There are around 500,000 engines built that the sprockets suit from the R850 to the R1200 but I guess it all comes down to marketing which is not my forte.

I am happy with what I sell but more curious about getting out into the market.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Life is always good
lennie@boxer-performance.com
www.boxer-performance.com
lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #49
lennie
Gnarly Adventurer

Karl,

I can tell you they cost me a lot more than $59.95 to make and if I had that sort of market and could make 500 to 1,000 sets per batch I might be able to get a cheaper buy price.

You are right about the cost of low volumes and that affects the price. When I get feedback that the sprockets are the best dollar for dollar improvement to the BMW twins then they must be ok. I guess like some things people need to look at the savings over time even just for the reduction in fuel consumption to realise there is a payback and ongoing savings. It is more about the result and how much better the bikes ride and the enjoyment that the sprockets bring to riding.

Life is always good
Old 08-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #50
Karlxx
Dirt Curious

Oddometer: 159
Best of luck selling more mate, they are on my radar now for a future upgrade.
K

IBA 41759
Karlxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #51
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,036
Lennie,

I have been thinking about your product and your question. I had a good read through your site but don't have a good understanding why opening and closing the intake valve, and opening and closing the exhaust valve, 9 degrees earlier in all cases adds power. A more detailed explanation would help. Then some specific measurements that show your point.

For instance, does the earlier opening and closing affect compression? Or does it get the air/fuel charge in faster? Or is it that the exhaust pulse exits more effectively?

Since your claim is more mid-range and low-end torque, couldn't you pick half a dozen RPMs and show the Brake-Torque in steady state and at various TPS angles, rather than the one or two inertial dyno WOT plots?

I'm very hopeful about your product but need to understand more. I may have asked the wrong questions. If I have feel free to tell me so and let me know what the better questions are. Any answer except "butt dyno" is fine.

RB
roger 04 rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #52
larryscustomcycles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Lennie,

I think there might be some doubts about the relevance of the dyno graphs. You are very upfront and honest and mention that the bike in the graphs has not only your mods but a modified exhaust header, different cams, some porting, a different muffler and fuel reg. That sure would make someone wonder what the sprockets actually did on their own.

Good news is I might be able to help...I'm looking for a good low KM 1150GSA and I'm in Melbourne. I'd be happy to lend it to you to put some sprockets in (which I would pay for) and do a back to back dyno test.

Bad news (for you anyway) is I'm off on my honeymoon and wont be back for 6 weeks!

If the bike I have my eye on is still around when I get back, I'll buy it, then contact you and see if you are interested.

Cheers

Guy
larryscustomcycles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #53
rdcyclist
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
R12 Camhead Sprockets?

Hey Lennie, rather than send you a PM, I thought posting up here would be more useful for the community. I've got a question about your sprockets.

Your website is, as pointed out earlier, not very good. I know what an R259 engine is but most people, even ones that own them, don't. It's not clear that the sprockets are available for the R1200GS's but reading some of the posts here it seems like they are. It's completely not clear on the site.

My question is: are you going to make sprockets for the R12 camhead motors? They would certainly be a useful mod...
rdcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #54
lennie
Gnarly Adventurer

Karl,

Thanks for the wishes and I am getting more enquiries and selling now.

Roger,

You have not asked the wrong questions and I have just revised some of my web pages to have better descriptions of the models and I will be working on a more technical explanation of the advantages of the advanced cam timing.

I will add before and after dyno graphs I can get from Brad Blacks site or add the specific links to his pages that explain more. It has been a very long time since the sprockets were developed and some information I had was lost on older computers from disk crashes.

Larry,

Enjoy your holiday and let me know when you are back and we can talk more. Enjoy the holiday too.

rdcyclist,

I have now made changes to the web pages to describe specifically what models and years that the sprockets fit.

I will post here when the pages are updated and more changes to come.

To all thanks for the interest and feedback as it is important to get it right. This is just a sideline for me and I dont get too much time to spend on it.

Life is always good
Old 08-29-2012, 03:58 AM   #55
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,036
Lennie,
That all sounds good. I will keep an eye on this thread and your site and look forward to the updates.
RB
roger 04 rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:32 AM   #56
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,291
Lennie,
I like your attitude, and I swear I'm not trying to beat you up...but (there's always a but, right?) I just checked your site and it looks to be the same as it was a week ago when I wrote you and asked if the sprockets did indeed fit a 1200 (to which I did not receive a reply, but I am glad to read this). I still see no specific wording (as exists for the 1100 and 1150) for 1200 fitment. Maybe this is an oversight, or simply you want me (and others like me) to crack the books and learn what an R259 engine is.

I don't even know how to end this post, other than say I am interested in the sprockets.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennie View Post
Karl,

Thanks for the wishes and I am getting more enquiries and selling now.

Roger,

You have not asked the wrong questions and I have just revised some of my web pages to have better descriptions of the models and I will be working on a more technical explanation of the advantages of the advanced cam timing.

I will add before and after dyno graphs I can get from Brad Blacks site or add the specific links to his pages that explain more. It has been a very long time since the sprockets were developed and some information I had was lost on older computers from disk crashes.

Larry,

Enjoy your holiday and let me know when you are back and we can talk more. Enjoy the holiday too.

rdcyclist,

I have now made changes to the web pages to describe specifically what models and years that the sprockets fit.

I will post here when the pages are updated and more changes to come.

To all thanks for the interest and feedback as it is important to get it right. This is just a sideline for me and I dont get too much time to spend on it.
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #57
cartejo5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Tourqe question

I'm wondering about these I'm on the cusp of ordering a set and have no issue with the pricing however I own a r1100gs which i'm really fond of.

From doing some online research the difference in torque curves between the 1100\1150gs and the RT's and particularly the 1100s is fairly significant the GS models are pretty much hill shaped whereas the RT models and 1100s reach a peak then fall off fairly slowly see attached torque charts. Search as I might I can see no mention of anyone installing them on a 1100gs or 1150gs for that matter, plenty of 12's and RT's.

1100GS

1100RT

R1100S

Has anyone installed these on either an 1100 or 1150GS and are they happy with the results, what is the effect of the torque moving down the rev range to the upper mid range say at 6000 rpm? I'm asking as I quite like to rev the bike and normally ride in the 3-6k range and for all its never held steady at 6k I'd quite like to know that it will spin up as freely as it does at the moment.

What I really don't want to do is buy these and go to the trouble of installing them to be disappointed.

Many thanks
John
cartejo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #58
lennie
Gnarly Adventurer

SR1,

I only sent the request for changes off to my IT person prior to posting about the changes and should have stated that. So they are on their way.

I always try to have the right attitude as it gets you a long way in life. As I have sid in the past this is a sideline and if I can bring a bigger grin to people from these parts then so be it.

cartejo,

I have many R1100 and R1150 GS customers that have fitted the sprockets and they are all happy but I will let them report for themselves.

From memory, and it has been a long time, the RT and S shared the same cam timing and that explains the difference in the torque curves between them and the GS. The S has larger intake tubes to the throttle bodies and the large bore exhaust as well that make the difference between the two.

I will post up when the web updates are completed.

Life is always good
Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #59
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,899
I wish there were a payment method that did not involve PayPal.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #60
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,291
So, I'm left wondering, will they work in a 1200?
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote