User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #1
millican OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
meteoric water

I'm interested in the study of the meteoric water line. This interest has extended from the local meteoric water line (LMWL) to the global meteoric water line (GMWL) and its history (if there is one). A check of the records with the IAEA shows that there are large areas of the globe for which there are no data. The Western United States is one large area with little to no data, and hey, a lot of folks here are active in that part of the world. Even more important are the world's oceans. Seeing the thread on boats and yachts makes me think that some folks out there may actually get out into the world's oceans more than I do. (I may be the only person who gets excited if it rains while on vacation.)
So without explaining what the LMWL or GMWL are now (I can if anyone is interested), here's the lowdown. I'd like to collect rainwater from these parts of the world that are under-represented. I'll pay for the isotope ratio analyses, but I can't afford to get out to these places. How much needs to be collected? a fraction of an ounce. TSA doesn't even care about such a small amount of liquid in your carry-on. Anyone care to carry a vial or two out on you adventures?
millican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by millican View Post
I'm interested in the study of the meteoric water line. This interest has extended from the local meteoric water line (LMWL) to the global meteoric water line (GMWL) and its history (if there is one). A check of the records with the IAEA shows that there are large areas of the globe for which there are no data. The Western United States is one large area with little to no data, and hey, a lot of folks here are active in that part of the world. Even more important are the world's oceans. Seeing the thread on boats and yachts makes me think that some folks out there may actually get out into the world's oceans more than I do. (I may be the only person who gets excited if it rains while on vacation.)
So without explaining what the LMWL or GMWL are now (I can if anyone is interested), here's the lowdown. I'd like to collect rainwater from these parts of the world that are under-represented. I'll pay for the isotope ratio analyses, but I can't afford to get out to these places. How much needs to be collected? a fraction of an ounce. TSA doesn't even care about such a small amount of liquid in your carry-on. Anyone care to carry a vial or two out on you adventures?
I would volunteer, but I have such good luck with rain I am afraid I would not be much help. Last summer in a 6 week trip to Alaska we only put on rain gear 3 or 4 times. I will be riding around the SW this April, but not likely to get rain on this trip either.

Do you want some from 400 miles off the coast of Chile (Robinson Crusoe Island), I will be working there in February?

Do you have a recommended sample container?

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by millican View Post
I can't help other than to give encouraging words. This sort of work is important. What's the nature of your research?
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
millican OP
Adventurer

Hey guys. Thanks for the responses.
Water was collected and analyzed from Robinson Crusoe Island from 1964 to 1991. I don't know why they stopped. It could easily be that the person collecting and analyzing moved or retired.
To collect the water, I usually go out after it's been raining a little bit and put a vial under anything that acts as a large funnel, like a rain gutter from a roof. I typically store the water in 2mL vials, which I don't mind sending a few of. The important information is latitude, longitude, and date. I don't have grants for funding and pay for analyses out of pocket ($15 each). I make $12,000 per year but can still afford a few more here and there.
For the research, I've written a program after taking some bioinformatics and parallel programming courses that uses actual data to calculate the LMWL for a location. For some locations, it's more accurate as there are more data to use. (for the sites in the database: http://www.darrahmillican/~tom/lmwl/040.png or http://www.darrahmillican/~tom/lmwl/030.gif)
The GMWL is an estimate and not exactly Global. Next, I'd like to take a stab at calculating the actual GMWL and see if there are enough data to determine whether it has changed over the last 50 years.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #5
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Links no workie...

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:44 AM   #6
millican OP
Adventurer

Ahh. I forgot the .com part. I can't look at the site from home because of some loopback bug with the ISP.
http://www.darrahmillican.com/~tom/lmwl/040.png or http://www.darrahmillican.com/~tom/lmwl/030.gif
Old 01-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,900
New links also no workie

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #8
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,634
dolomite
Old 01-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #9
millican OP
Adventurer

Heck. Now I see the editor mode button. This is embarrassing.
http://www.darrahmillican.com/~tom/lmwl/040.png

http://www.darrahmillican.com/~tom/lmwl/030.gif

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: